Union Jack To Be Painted On P&o Ships

Guest Solent Richard

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a nice idea, gives the ships that extra distinctive look.  I disagree with you Land Ahoy on P&O not being British.  I know they are American owned but lets face it, there are not many

I disagree with that Land Ahoy, I completely undferstand your objection to anti British but to state that P&O Cruises are "crap" seems a bit over the top to me.  I definitely agree that everyone l

Meridian, my regional  ITV channel,  ran an article yesterday evening on P&O Cruises. It revealed that  the largest Union Jack in the world is to be painted on the sides of Southampton based cruis

(For some reason I can't use the "Quote" facility at the moment.)

Spot on Richard. P&O ships are varied and there is one to suit everyone's taste and style. They will also have ships leaving from the UK, the MED and the Caribbean. Not all cruise lines do that for their passengers' convenience. They carry more Brits than all the other cruise lines put together so they must be doing something the Brits like.

cheers

Harvey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Solent Richard

I am a member of the "Old Brigade", ie I have sailed P&O and other cruise lines many times.  Being "British" used to mean being reliable, honest, dependable and understated. The White Sisters, as P&O ships were known, were conspicuous by the quiet way they entered port, stately and serenely, not blaring out pop music and spilling out passengers in their thousands to over run the locality.

Painting the ship with the new logo is moving towards the Americanisation of P&O.  It will look atrocious. Cheap and nasty.

I would not consider going on the new Britannia. The very thought of being cooped up with 3000+ people, all that noise, all that queueing to get on and off the ship and at the food hall brings me out in a rash. What's to like.

I loved the now retired Artemis. I first sailed on her as Royal Princess. Less is more. Now I like the Adonia. Quiet and friendly.

(For some reason I can't use the "Quote" facility at the moment.)

Spot on Richard. P&O ships are varied and there is one to suit everyone's taste and style. They will also have ships leaving from the UK, the MED and the Caribbean. Not all cruise lines do that for their passengers' convenience. They carry more Brits than all the other cruise lines put together so they must be doing something the Brits like.

cheers

Harvey

Good morning Jeffner.

As Harvey says, there is something to suit everyone's taste and style.

As another member mentioned to me earlier, diversity is everything.

I would certainly not criticise Britannia until after I have tried it.

12412365505_100b9cebce_m.jpg 

That would be a costly mistake.  There wont be a Union Jack after September 18th. Think about it

Every poll up to now has been 60/40 against independence. The Scots are no daft - they'll make the right decision and going by the polls it'll be status quo. So - yes - there WILL be a Union Jack after September.

cheers

Harvey

Excellent logic Doelearog.

Apart from fuel costs food costs have risen 20% (and I mean wholesale) in the last 18 months.

Sacrificing a pillow chocolate is no big deal. ;)  ;)

Good evening Richard - a little anecdote re pillow chocolates.

Back in April 2006 I was on Artemis. At our dinner table was a young lady from P&O who was there to instruct the captain and crew in a new venture - on-board weddings. (Artemis was the first ship to do these.) One evening she mentioned that when in the past P&O removed the pillow chocolates there was such an outcry that it was reinstated PDQ. Power to the people!!! :D It was a two week cruise but the poor girl only stayed on-board for one week! Shame - she was good company.

I must admit - I think it's a very nice touch and at very little cost. Having said that - I'm usually stuffed to the gunwales at that time of evening and I usually chuck them in a drawer and have them when I return home. :rolleyes: Nice touch though.

cheers

Harvey

Guest Solent Richard

That would be a costly mistake.  There wont be a Union Jack after September 18th. Think about it

Good evening Independence.

At the risk of going off topic (heaven forbid), can we take it by the content and your screen name that you are both a Scot and in favour of independence?

There is always the 'Off Topic' corner, I'd be delighted to give you my view.

Guest Solent Richard

Good evening Richard - a little anecdote re pillow chocolates.

Back in April 2006 I was on Artemis. At our dinner table was a young lady from P&O who was there to instruct the captain and crew in a new venture - on-board weddings. (Artemis was the first ship to do these.) One evening she mentioned that when in the past P&O removed the pillow chocolates there was such an outcry that it was reinstated PDQ. Power to the people!!! :D It was a two week cruise but the poor girl only stayed on-board for one week! Shame - she was good company.

I must admit - I think it's a very nice touch and at very little cost. Having said that - I'm usually stuffed to the gunwales at that time of evening and I usually chuck them in a drawer and have them when I return home. :rolleyes: Nice touch though.

cheers

Harvey

Where in danger of anecdoting out on here Harvey.

Like you I bring my pillow chocolates home and I spirit them away from Mrs SR down to the allotment.

I could open a tuck shop on site now. :D  :D