Union Jack To Be Painted On P&o Ships

Guest Solent Richard

I disagree with that Land Ahoy, I completely undferstand your objection to anti British but to state that P&O Cruises are "crap" seems a bit over the top to me.  I definitely agree that everyone likes what they like, everyone is different and we should all be allowed our own opinions but for many people, including myself, P&O Cruises are still a very enjoyable cruise line to travel with.  In fact, I sailed with them not too long ago for my honeymoon and enjoyed of the best holidays I've ever had so I think that is incredibly harsh on them. 

I do no disagree that some cuts have been made but show me a single business in the world where that hasn't needed to be the case in the current climate.  Value to me equals price x quality and by my reckoning, P&O Cruises are still pretty good value for money.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a nice idea, gives the ships that extra distinctive look.  I disagree with you Land Ahoy on P&O not being British.  I know they are American owned but lets face it, there are not many

I disagree with that Land Ahoy, I completely undferstand your objection to anti British but to state that P&O Cruises are "crap" seems a bit over the top to me.  I definitely agree that everyone l

Meridian, my regional  ITV channel,  ran an article yesterday evening on P&O Cruises. It revealed that  the largest Union Jack in the world is to be painted on the sides of Southampton based cruis

Guest Solent Richard

Hi  Another advantage of the luxury lines is that regional flights are often included in the price of the boarding fare of the cruise , OK I my have to change flights at Heathrow or Amsterdam but at least I don't have to waste a couple of days travelling down to Southampton or other SE based airports, which meas the extra expense of a overnight stay in a hotel and airport/cruise port car parking and the cost of fuel.  If these are added to the final cost of the vacation the differential between the cheaper standard lines and the "better" lines is diminished..

Waste a couple of days travelling down to Southampton?

Would that be by Shanks's pony?

I understand Cunard and P&O now offer the option of a free coach instead of OBC.

Guest Solent Richard

Hi I object to be being accused as anti- British.  I don't mind who owns a company which is good and unfortunately the USA owned P&O isn't a good cruise line. It's motto appears have become never the quality, we will lower the artficially inflated price several times and fill the ship - they won't mind if the product is crap as long as they think it's cheap.  Unlike most USA and European passengers we don't complain to the same extent and nothing highlights this better than P&O's customer care department (the least accurately named department in Britain?), they obviously took the satire from Orwell's 1984 as gospel truth.  If I find a company isn't to my liking I will say so and give my reasons and if you disagree so be it.

May I offer a friendly correction here Land Ahoy.

P&O is part of Carnival Corporation and shares are traded both in London and New York.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary.html?fourWayKey=GB0031215220GBGBXSET1

One trade in London this afternoon, 166,690 shares. 

Guest Solent Richard

Hi  Another advantage of the luxury lines is that regional flights are often included in the price of the boarding fare of the cruise , OK I my have to change flights at Heathrow or Amsterdam but at least I don't have to waste a couple of days travelling down to Southampton or other SE based airports, which meas the extra expense of a overnight stay in a hotel and airport/cruise port car parking and the cost of fuel.  If these are added to the final cost of the vacation the differential between the cheaper standard lines and the "better" lines is diminished..

Surely there is a world of difference between cruising from a UK port and using a regional airport to hop to London to catch a further flight.

absolutely love the new look and am really excited to see the ships with the new flag concept and funnels......I am however, not surprised to see mixed reviews on here and on some other sites but as a company P&O Cruises cannot stand still and need to evolve in a very competitive market. Seen some comments re regional flights not being offered by P&O Cruises, correct me if I am wrong but you can add on regional flights to get to Southampton and also if you book on a Select Price you can choose coach travel from a lot of area's around the UK.

I have also seen they have introduced new regional flights from various airports on Ventura Fly Med including Edinburgh....it seems to me whatever the cruise company do with some people they will never win!!!! I also cannot understand the reference to NCL, this is something completely different. P&O Cruises are run out of the UK and carry more British passengers than any other cruise line and really cater for the British passenger so adding this to the ships really ties in well....another change for P&O Cruises. Also I have just returned from a Caribbean cruise on Ventura and I could not fault the food/service/entertainment and of course the sun......although I am sure P&O Cruises did not organise that but it was still enjoyed. Very excited to see what will be coming next.....

I am starting to wonder who P&O are trying to appeal to. I can't see the new look going down too well with the old P&O brigade. I personally like the existing white hulls and superstructure topped by the buff coloured funnel. It looked serene, discreet yet decidedly up market.  Now they are copying NCL, Aida, Moby Ferries and to a lesser degree Disney. It's not the fancy paint work that sells cruises, it's quality of service and food so why not spend the money on those items?  

P&O are like any other business they have to keep moving with the times or loose out and this revamp is needed for todays market. Who are "The old P&O brigade?"  is it decided by how old you are or how many cruises you have done or is it people who think they are more loyal than others?.

Ships are becoming larger and need to be filled fancy paintwork does get you noticed if you have two plumbers vans one old and plain and one who advertises themselves which one do you see? it may not suit all but P&O are in the business of having to fill bigger and bigger ships and they will use every trick to do so.

Good morning Jaczs, to answer your question. 'The Old P&O Brigade' as opposed to the 'New Brigade' in my book are those who have been loyal followers of P&O cruises over the years. Those that you meet onboard who moan about the decline in their opinion of standards yet remain loyal to P&O. I was on several P&O ships last year and each contained a large number of those I have described. Nothing to do with age. As I said before I do not believe it's fancy paint work that sells cruises, if it were all the other cruise lines would be doing it. Your mention of the plumbers vans, yes they stand out and it brings them to the attention of the person in the street. but I don't think the same analogy applies to cruise ships. It certainly would not attract them to me as like millions of others I already know of their existance. The best trick to fill a ship I would suggest is to offer a ship that suits the individuals taste, good service, food and entertainment, that is what sells cabins, not a paint job.  We all have different opinions and see things from different perspectives so lets wait and see if the change fills their ships. I wont hold my breath.

Well, I know it is all a matter of opinion, but to my eye it looks awful.  It's not that it is a union jack, it is the break up of an elegant surface with swathes of colour.  I had a similar reaction with Aida, and it was enough to make me never consider that line.  It introduces gaudiness with its associations of tackiness, which for me is most off-putting.

Someone mentioned British Airways tail painting:  presumably they also remember how Maggie Thatcher stopped a rebranding job to introduce a more colourful set of tail planes with just a handkerchief because she didn't like it.

Thanks Oldworldtraveller for answering the question I must be old P&O *gulp* but without the moaning honest. I have to say I still find the food to be good but will agree the entertainment needs upgrading as much as the paintwork, it's not that it is rubbish as the Headliners put on a good show it is just we have seen the same shows over and over and I find the comedians pretty awful as well. But there are still plenty of bars to choose from so no moaning.

I think the new Union Jack logo on the bow of the ships will look great &smart, unlike the garish & brash offerings of the likes of NCL & Disney .

Not so sure about the funnels loosing their distinctive Orient line buff colour, but times move on,& we can't hang on to the past forever however good it was,at least we keep the Rising Sun logo in Buff!! On the funnels.

Guest Solent Richard

P&O are like any other business they have to keep moving with the times or loose out and this revamp is needed for todays market. Who are "The old P&O brigade?"  is it decided by how old you are or how many cruises you have done or is it people who think they are more loyal than others?.

Ships are becoming larger and need to be filled fancy paintwork does get you noticed if you have two plumbers vans one old and plain and one who advertises themselves which one do you see? it may not suit all but P&O are in the business of having to fill bigger and bigger ships and they will use every trick to do so.

Good morning Jaczs, to answer your question. 'The Old P&O Brigade' as opposed to the 'New Brigade' in my book are those who have been loyal followers of P&O cruises over the years. Those that you meet onboard who moan about the decline in their opinion of standards yet remain loyal to P&O. I was on several P&O ships last year and each contained a large number of those I have described. Nothing to do with age. As I said before I do not believe it's fancy paint work that sells cruises, if it were all the other cruise lines would be doing it. Your mention of the plumbers vans, yes they stand out and it brings them to the attention of the person in the street. but I don't think the same analogy applies to cruise ships. It certainly would not attract them to me as like millions of others I already know of their existance. The best trick to fill a ship I would suggest is to offer a ship that suits the individuals taste, good service, food and entertainment, that is what sells cabins, not a paint job.  We all have different opinions and see things from different perspectives so lets wait and see if the change fills their ships. I wont hold my breath.

Good morning to you both.

I consider that P&O do 'offer a ship that suits the individuals taste'. If you look at the range of ships P&O have there is just about something for everyone. 

They have the more traditional Oriana and Aurora - both purpose built for P&O.

They have the Adult Only and more modern Arcadia - similar certainly in build to ships in other cruise lines.

They have the Adonia for those who prefer the smaller intimate style cruise and finally they have the big 'family' ships, Ventura and Azura,

So something for everyone - spoilt for choice!

Now with the new Britannia just 12 months away something different again  coming into the equation.

I can't wait to give it a go.

Guest Solent Richard

Regarding the decline in quality, just remember "You Only Get What You Pay For" lower prices means lower standards. Simple logic.

Excellent logic Doelearog.

Apart from fuel costs food costs have risen 20% (and I mean wholesale) in the last 18 months.

Sacrificing a pillow chocolate is no big deal. ;)  ;)

I saw this on a P&O e-mail yesterday. I can't say I like it. I've seen similar excesses on other cruise lines ships, and thought how cheap and tasteless they look compared to the plain white hulls of P & O. They claim it "captures the spirit of Britain today". I'm afraid they may be right. 

I am a member of the "Old Brigade", ie I have sailed P&O and other cruise lines many times.  Being "British" used to mean being reliable, honest, dependable and understated. The White Sisters, as P&O ships were known, were conspicuous by the quiet way they entered port, stately and serenely, not blaring out pop music and spilling out passengers in their thousands to over run the locality.

Painting the ship with the new logo is moving towards the Americanisation of P&O.  It will look atrocious. Cheap and nasty.

I would not consider going on the new Britannia. The very thought of being cooped up with 3000+ people, all that noise, all that queueing to get on and off the ship and at the food hall brings me out in a rash. What's to like.

I loved the now retired Artemis. I first sailed on her as Royal Princess. Less is more. Now I like the Adonia. Quiet and friendly.