Norwegian Getaway C'est Arrivé

Guest Solent Richard

Guest Solent Richard

Hi  I won't be sailing on any of these floating hotels, for me it's not cruising it's just pandering to those who don't like cruising and really would be better off booking a land vacation in the Florida theme parks!  Rant over

Not everyone is as lucky as you and I Land Ahoy and to be able to afford the diversity of cruising that we are blessed with. ;)  ;)

Having said that, I am a firm believer in sampling a variety of cruises in order that I am best placed to comment and pass judgement.

Guest Solent Richard

Well, as promised here are some of the pictures I took during my short short mini-cruise on the Norwegian Getaway yesterday...

Berthed at Southampton's City Terminal...

11963301776_46218ed779_z.jpg

The Haven, part of NCL's exclusive suite guest areas (Kind of their equivalent to the Cunard Grills)...

11962761383_b0156baf3e_z.jpg

The Atrium from 8 Deck...

11962761753_0a76e12f5b_z.jpg

The not so impressive 'Mini-suite'...

11962464285_5e283d5990_z.jpg

La Cucina Italian Restaurant...

11962464355_75e94a3710_z.jpg

The Getaway Theater...

11962761453_b2fdd9bdbb_z.jpg

Cagney's Steak House...

11963302176_42ff88872d_z.jpg

The Tropicana Restaurant...

11962910984_57c0fab46e_z.jpg

and O'Sheehan's Irish Pub...

11962761173_5506f029b0_z.jpg

HI  Thanks Richard for your photographs,  It's too "in your face for my liking", any glitz and any large artium is a no-no for me.  Why waste space on a large artium when the space could be used more productively (ie larger library, card room etc)   I don't have to try every ship to know I wouldn't have a great cruise (I probably wouldn't hate it but would be somewhat underwhelmed).  Most cruise lines now cater for a different type of market (ie the lowest common denominator) where wearing a baseball cap the right way round is considered by many passengers to be formal attire).  Even Cunard no longer enforce a strict dress code in the main resturants according to a few recent reviews (I have no first hand experience of this change in policy).  Fortunately there are still some lines which still offer the type of cruise experience I am looking for but for how long is questionable.

Guest Solent Richard

I will obviously be writing a review in due course but two things I was impressed with was Dinner in the Tropicana Restaurant...

11963236963_46dffe7c0c_z.jpg

Who would have guessed that when I took the abve photograph in the afternoon that that would be our excellent table in the evening...

11963703206_c2cfb07c4e_z.jpg

Where three of us enjoyed an excellent Rack of Lamb...

11963703036_4ac2a5481a_z.jpg

Our post dinner entertainment included the main show, a full 90 minute production of Laurence O'Keefe's and Nell Benjamin's Legally Blonde... 

11963703006_5d770290ea_z.jpg

and a great Las Vegas favourite of mine, the Duelling Pianos performed in the Headliners venue...

11963310204_2c153bd9f1_z.jpg

I would be delighted to answer any questions members may have, subject of course to my short experience on board.

Guest Solent Richard

HI  Thanks Richard for your photographs,  It's too "in your face for my liking", any glitz and any large artium is a no-no for me.  Why waste space on a large artium when the space could be used more productively (ie larger library, card room etc)   I don't have to try every ship to know I wouldn't have a great cruise (I probably wouldn't hate it but would be somewhat underwhelmed).  Most cruise lines now cater for a different type of market (ie the lowest common denominator) where wearing a baseball cap the right way round is considered by many passengers to be formal attire).  Even Cunard no longer enforce a strict dress code in the main resturants according to a few recent reviews (I have no first hand experience of this change in policy).  Fortunately there are still some lines which still offer the type of cruise experience I am looking for but for how long is questionable.

Neither do I, have experience of the Dress Code not being enforced that is.

There will always be the odd turkey that wants to flaunt the rules. My view is that they contribute to their own vilification.

Guest Solent Richard

By way of a PS to this short contribution, in addition to the automatic gratuity of 15% being added to the beverage charges UK VAT was also added. My two bottles of wine at dinner were advertised at $65 but added to that was a $9.75 Auto Gratuity and a $13.00 F&B Port Tax. 

Still pretty good value considering the surroundings and entertainment.

Hi Richard, I'm a bit late but we too enjoyed the night on the Getaway, so much to see and do and something for everyone of any age.

We dined In Savor a smaller dining room [but no rack of lamb] slow service but good food, Joe also kept on saying 'follow the fishes'

I agree the board times are great for planning your evening a very good idea, also the boardwalk full of great eatery's especially on a balmy Caribbean night.

CG

• 5 months later...

By way of a PS to this short contribution, in addition to the automatic gratuity of 15% being added to the beverage charges UK VAT was also added. My two bottles of wine at dinner were advertised at $65 but added to that was a $9.75 Auto Gratuity and a $13.00 F&B Port Tax. 

Still pretty good value considering the surroundings and entertainment.

Is that $87 dollars for the pair.....and people moan about P&O drinks! My oh my!

Am I right in thinking NCL do an all inclusive drinks package - on this basis would it be worthwhile?

• 3 weeks later...

wow thanks for the pics richard! I was already tempted to book on the getaway for next year but you've definitely given me that extra push! I love NCL, please don't be put off by the laid back ambience everybody as it really doesn't mean NCL arent top quality! I would go back in a heartbeat :) and would definitely recommend shore excursions to Rome there really are some fabulous ones. x