Formal Nights On P&o Azura

This will be our first experience of cruising and I have bought a couple of long evening dresses for the formal nights but have been told by several people that formal nights are not so formal now and long dresses are no longer worn. I need some advice on this as clearly don't want to look ridiculous.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with all these posts, we where on a  4night cruise to Amsterdam & Belgium and 90% of the Ladies where in Evening Dresses, my wife included, it was the Ladies who were not dressed up who lo

Agree with all, the Formal evenings on P & O are an excuse to get dressed in your Evening dresses And Dinner suits. The majority adhere to this and it certainly is a great part of the cruise exper

Always feel that stripes work best for the fuller figure.

Posted Images

Guest Solent Richard

This will be our first experience of cruising and I have bought a couple of long evening dresses for the formal nights but have been told by several people that formal nights are not so formal now and long dresses are no longer worn. I need some advice on this as clearly don't want to look ridiculous.

You will never look ridiculous. It is a year since I sailed with P&O however those ladies in long dresses were in the majority. 

Many choose to wear shorter 'cocktail' outfits but please be assured, you will get it right.

Hello Chris P We sailed a year ago on Azura in the Caribbean and I wore long evening dresses on each formal night. There were many ladies in long. I never felt overdressed... in fact it felt great!  We go away again in 4 weeks on Azura and can't wait. My advice is enjoy it and you definitely won't feel ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On azura in 2weeks to Caribbean. Love the 4 formal long dresses for me and the majority,it's the only time to dress up theses days lots also wear very dressy cocktail type dresses on casual nights after 15 cruises on p&o have become 'you know what if you don't want to dress nice that's your problem'attitude dress up and enjoy you'll soon be home and back to the normal hustle of every day life

• 1 month later...

I agree that formal nights are not so formal as fewer men wearing dinner suits which I think is a shame because they do all look nice in them. I personally always dress up and if you have bought evening wear then you should wear it - you will certainly feel good. I always encourage my husband to wear his dinner suit never mind what everyone else is doing. I just hope the day never comes when the formal, black and white and theme nights are replaced by casual wear. When we first started cruising about 12 years ago I remember that gentlemen not wearing suitable attire would not be admitted to certain areas of the ship which I though was good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why are some people so averse to dressing for dinner? i enjoy formal nights, a bit of grandeaur. Would some of these people that moan about dressing etc go out with their families for an aneversary meal, or wedding etc without dressing? At times i feel as though standards are getting a bit sloppy, Im no gent but when im out and about and see people my own age walking about in jeans and trainers, even their wives as well, i feel like saying "Have you no pride". I mean jeans were once the mans working gear, now they think its acceptable to go to resturants in them, what is the world coming to? :lol:

Chris P although you will see some comments about people not adhering to dress codes on formal nights, my experience on P&O is this is not the norm. The vast majority of male and female passengers dress to impress on formal nights. Most ladies still favour long dresses so they are the majority but even those in shorter ones are still very glam. I think on the larger ships like Azura and Ventura you do get a few people around the ship who have perhaps decided to opt out of the main dining room and go to the buffet so are not required to follow the dress code but to be honest if you are going to the main dining room, theater and bars then you really won't notice this or at least I dont. You will most certainly be amongst the vast majority in your long dresses. Have an amazing time, after all there are not many places now days were you get to experience that level of glamour.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...