Hi  Why would anybody not pay the gratuities via your onboard account, it's easy and the staff are rewarded for their effects.  The only valid explanation as far as I can see is that some passengers wish to avoid paying the staff, you can always tip some staff a supplementary amount if the service recieved is exceptional.  These tight wad  "passengers"  often cite that by paying auto tip route that the level of service will fall in order to justify their actions , However, since the best service is generally on the better "all inclusive" lines where the staff are already paid a  decent wage and don't need any further tips. 

Surely it is up to the individual how they distribute tips if they so wish, and do not wish to partake of auto tipping, why does this mean they are" tight wad passengers", we do both,does that make us any better than those who do not like auto tipping? not in my eyes. ;) Ron

Surely it is up to the individual how they distribute tips if they so wish, and do not wish to partake of auto tipping, why does this mean they are" tight wad passengers", we do both,does that make us any better than those who do not like auto tipping? not in my eyes. ;) Ron

Hi  Of course you are correct but I don't like the idea of tipping (I do, thougfh) I am of the opinion that all companies Irrespective of their business (restaurant, cruise line etc) should pay their staff sufficient so that tips are not required.  As they don't I pay the tips in full (no more or less than recommended) as I don't expect the staff to work for nothing. I do I know some passengers don't pay the staff tips most dining rooms usually have their fair share of empty seats on the final night, many use the buffet so they don't feel embarrassed about not tipping the wait staff and this was quite common on ships which did not operate the auto tip policy.

Land Ahoy, I quite agree cruise lines should pay decent wages, That is why there are very few if any British waiters on any cruise line, Also are you aware that all the crew with a few exceptions pay there own flight tickets when joining or leaving a ship ? ;)  Ron

Has anyone else heard that if when the surveys are filled in if the cabin stewards are not given an excellent they do not receive their share of the tips for a time period.

Perhaps this is the reason why so many people sign a disclaimer and prefer to give tips personally. .I understand all other staff ( but not the cabin stewards and the waiters ). receive a decent working wage according to their grade and terms of employment.

Land Ahoy, I quite agree cruise lines should pay decent wages, That is why there are very few if any British waiters on any cruise line, Also are you aware that all the crew with a few exceptions pay there own flight tickets when joining or leaving a ship ? ;)  Ron

In fairness Ron - most workers have to pay their own travel costs to get to work. Look at these poor sods who commute into London each day - they can pay around £4000+ per year for a 30 mile daily journey.

cheers

Harvey

Harvey Good Evening,

Fairpoint, glad I don't work anymore.but those who work on the ships wont get anything like a London worker per Annum. ;)  Ron

Fair point from you too Ron. But in a large town near the tiny hamlet of Bristol upon Cream the daily bus return flat fare is £3.60   Multiply that by 5 days and 48 weeks and it's £864. That has to be paid by someone working full-time on the minimum wage earning just £13,000 per year.

cheers

Harvey

• 5 months later...

Hi

Ive only cruised with P&O before. On our first cruise, because we saw more of our cabin steward and had to ask for his help, we decided to remove the grats and tip him (and the waiters) in hand at the end of the cruise as we felt this was more personal. We just completed a quick form and they were removed straight away.

on our recent cruise, we decided to leave the grats on our onboard account. We have always been extremely pleased with the service onboard and feel they cannot do enough to help you :)