Alexandria Port to The Pyramids - independent shore excursion Nov 22

We are sailing with on the Ambassador Ambience this Oct on the Grand Med cruise. The ship wont give details of their shore excursions until 6 weeks before we sail so I’ve only got independent tour operator excursion/prices Viator and Get Your Guide

The ship is in port from 4am to 11pm and Im aware of the 3hr drive there and back - the ones I have looked at have a 6 or 7am pick up

The itineraries for The Pyramids at Giza and The Sphinx and then onto Memphis City and Sakkara are more or less the same but some offer other stops which I would like advice on please

The Papyrus museum

Sakkara Country Club - for lunch (some of the reviews are very bad - surely it will be better than a local restaurant)

Has anyone experienced an Egyptian local restaurant stop for lunch? Assume its a fixed menu (meat/salad)

Camel rides - I expect we have to pay for that ourselves although some seem to include it. Wont get my husband on a camel so assume he has to sit in the van

Local markets - not really interested but we always seem to get dropped off at these places whether we want to or not

any experience of service station stops on the 3hr drive so we can use the bathrooms?

These shore excursions are approx £160 each but its a bucket list stop so you feel you need to get the best experience

it must surely be better to be in a small group of 10 in an a/c van than a big bus of cruise passengers

Can anyone recommend any good independent website other than Viator or Get your guide which cater for Brits?

thanks

I have to be brutally honest. We did a tour in Alexandria a couple of years ago, it was filthy, the transport had no Aircon the guides carried guns ( they said for our safety) the transport had to drive in convoy with armed security in front and behind.

We had planned to visit the sites you mentioned from Port Said the next day. But after our day in Alexandria we cancelled and stayed on the ship. 
After talking to other passengers who went on the tour it seems we made the right decision.

Sorry I am sure other people will be more positive.

We did a trip from Port Said to Giza, the Sphinx & Cairo museum quite a few years ago. Just as Countrygirl said the convoy of coaches had armed guards & we even had an empty coach with us in case 1 broke down! It was supposed to be for our safety but it just made me feel uneasy. The only good bit was at the Pyramids where we were pestered to buy cheap tat & one man kept shoving bits into my hands. An mounted policeman (on a camel) came over & the man ran off leaving me with lucky stones etc.

36 minutes ago, 2torts said:

We did a trip from Port Said to Giza, the Sphinx & Cairo museum quite a few years ago. Just as Countrygirl said the convoy of coaches had armed guards & we even had an empty coach with us in case 1 broke down! It was supposed to be for our safety but it just made me feel uneasy. The only good bit was at the Pyramids where we were pestered to buy cheap tat & one man kept shoving bits into my hands. An mounted policeman (on a camel) came over & the man ran off leaving me with lucky stones etc.

Egypt is dirty and having armed guards is somewhat unnerving, but the pyramids are well worth seeing although I was surprised how close they are to the city.  The market vendors there are pushy but our guide was very helpful in avoiding them.  I was amused that a camel riding policeman helped you.  The only contact we had with police was when I took a photo of the camel riding officer and he came over and asked for money.  I was well aware that the locals with decorated camels expect money for photos, so we avoided them, but was astounded that a policeman would expect to be paid.  We ignored him and eventually he went away.

We used a private tour but I can't find any record of the company.  We were a group of eight and someone else arranged it.

Thanks all for the feedback, pretty much what I was expecting, my brother in law said the same when he went to the Pyramids on a River Nile cruise

Think I will wait for the cruise line trips to come out (6 weeks before sailing) but perhaps try harder to find a shared small group trip and double check we will have aircon