Cruising to nowhere and vaccinations

Sorry I couldn’t find a suitable category to put this in. My main conversation was to be the vaccination passport.

Anyways, these vaccination passports I think will cause problems for some people that have to produce evidence on line that they have had the vaccine. Many folk over certain age May recall that when we had the smallpox vaccine, yellow fever, typhoid etc we were given a card as evidence of vaccination that you kept with your passport. Surely this could still be an option without having to go through the cost of a doctors letter to prove vaccination as not everyone has smart phones whereby you can have it on an app. Also with all the boo boos that they have made with other apps relating to COVID how can a person be sure that their information is secure.

In relation to cruises to nowhere, they say that they are going to chase the sunshine... good luck with that with the British weather 😂looking at what protocols that are being put into place ie folk can only dine with the people they are travelling with, what about the solo cruisers. They are going to be left more isolated than ever if you can’t mix as normal. Also, whilst p and o state that no one will be allowed to cruise without proof of vaccination etc they haven’t confirmed that all the staff will be subject to the same protocols.

I don’t think that cruising instils much confidence at present, well certainly not for this year 

1 hour ago, Pesky Pirate said:

Sorry I couldn’t find a suitable category to put this in. My main conversation was to be the vaccination passport.

Anyways, these vaccination passports I think will cause problems for some people that have to produce evidence on line that they have had the vaccine. Many folk over certain age May recall that when we had the smallpox vaccine, yellow fever, typhoid etc we were given a card as evidence of vaccination that you kept with your passport. Surely this could still be an option without having to go through the cost of a doctors letter to prove vaccination as not everyone has smart phones whereby you can have it on an app. Also with all the boo boos that they have made with other apps relating to COVID how can a person be sure that their information is secure.

In relation to cruises to nowhere, they say that they are going to chase the sunshine... good luck with that with the British weather 😂looking at what protocols that are being put into place ie folk can only dine with the people they are travelling with, what about the solo cruisers. They are going to be left more isolated than ever if you can’t mix as normal. Also, whilst p and o state that no one will be allowed to cruise without proof of vaccination etc they haven’t confirmed that all the staff will be subject to the same protocols.

I don’t think that cruising instils much confidence at present, well certainly not for this year 

Hi Pesky hope you are well.

How do you think the vaccination passport will work for those who medically can't have the vaccine or those younger generations who will not be given the option to have the jab?

Obviously youngers may be less affected by the virus, but they are still carriers, will countries allow them in, similarly with those who can't have it for whatever reason, would cruiselines be able to refuse a booking in those circumstances, can they discriminate in those circumstances? What a minefield.

Regarding cruises to nowhere and onboard restrictions, not for me, I think it'll be at least summer 2022 before I will consider booking a cruise or any foreign holiday come to that.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

Hi HLM

I’m still plodding along like everyone else I guess. I think that no matter what comes into force won’t cover every scenario, I’m glad it’s not my job to sort it out. I do wonder if those cards that they give you when you have the first jab is regarded as proof. Like you said for those unable to get the vaccine some sort of provision would have to be made whether it’s an ordinary overseas holiday or a cruise. Fingers crossed that 2022 will be a lot better...

take care all.... 🙂

I suppose it is early days still in respect of Vaccination Passports. The problems with the Track &Trace App don't exactly instill confidence. P&O have said that pax will need proof of both vaccination jabs before boarding but at this stage haven't confirmed what type of proof. The system varies a lot. I was given a card with a space for the batch number of the vaccine and there is a second space for the second jab. I am aware however that a lot of folks haven't been given any proof at all.

As usual, P&O got in a right pickle with their communication over this. The details on their website were deliberately worded vaguely around children and although I didn't see it, I have seen reports of Mr Ludlow trying desperately not to confirm that children would not be allowed on these new uk cruises.

Most of my P&O cruises are taken solo and the sociable aspect is very important to me. I could happily do without that for 3 or 4 nights but I feel the solo prices will be exorbitant. Only balcony cabins are being sold and the lead-in price, which is early saver I believe, is £449. I will be very surprised if the solo fares are less than double, meaning £300 per night for a 3 night cruise... No free parking or obc is likely either I understand.

I'm in no doubt that these initial cruises will sell out, but long term without young families I think cruiselines could struggle to get the clientele onboard consistently to make it profitable.

Most cruiselines with their newer ships are now more often than not geared up for the younger family market, climbing walls, dodgems, go karts etc etc, so I suspect families with younger children certainly won't be cruising for sometime if vaccine passports are required, at present it appears that only adults will be vaccinated and from what has been said under 18's don't feature in any future vaccination plans.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

HLM

We won’t be booking anything for a while, not even sure if we will get our cruise in November on Arcadia. And we certainly won’t be flying anywhere. We have both had our first vaccine with our second booked for May.  It will be interesting to see what form the proof will be and how soon the scammers will be in finding ways of making money selling false documents.

Highlights of the Day, do you think it could go something like this on no port cruises,

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, this is your cruise director speaking. Just before midday I would ask you to line the starboard side of the ship to cheer the "MV Going No Where" as she passes us going in the opposite direction. This will be repeated at 1500hrs as the "MV Haven't Been Anywhere" passes. The entertainment team will lead the cheering."

Interesting to see that different lines are doing things in different ways. Disney cruises are the latest to throw their hats in the ring (or should that be English Channel?). It appears that they have not decided whether pax need to be vaccinated and children will be allowed on the cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, afcandrew said:

Interesting to see that different lines are doing things in different ways. Disney cruises are the latest to throw their hats in the ring (or should that be English Channel?).

It will be interesting in several ways. Firstly when the ship is more than 12 miles out it has left 'British' waters and is in 'International' waters and if it enters the waters of a different nation (Non UK) will this count as foreign travel. Secondly what if the ship docks in a foreign port even though no passengers are allowed to go ashore does this count as visiting a foreign jurisdiction to which the 'Traffic Light' system will apply. And thirdly as the ships are not UK registered could you be classed as going overseas when you step on them. I don't know the answers but it would be interesting to hear what others think, food for thought.

18 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

It will be interesting in several ways. Firstly when the ship is more than 12 miles out it has left 'British' waters and is in 'International' waters and if it enters the waters of a different nation (Non UK) will this count as foreign travel. Secondly what if the ship docks in a foreign port even though no passengers are allowed to go ashore does this count as visiting a foreign jurisdiction to which the 'Traffic Light' system will apply. And thirdly as the ships are not UK registered could you be classed as going overseas when you step on them. I don't know the answers but it would be interesting to hear what others think, food for thought.

Agree with you OWT. On another board I am on there is currently much discussion about Travel Insurance - particularly as Carnival UK brands are specifying a high level of Medical Cover. It seems that Insurance policies normally only cover a lower level of cover when travelling within the UK. A further issue is around prices for drinks and in the on-board shops, which may be subject to VAT when not leaving the UK?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, afcandrew said:

Agree with you OWT. On another board I am on there is currently much discussion about Travel Insurance - particularly as Carnival UK brands are specifying a high level of Medical Cover. It seems that Insurance policies normally only cover a lower level of cover when travelling within the UK. A further issue is around prices for drinks and in the on-board shops, which may be subject to VAT when not leaving the UK?

MSC Virtuosa has got around the drinks with offering all inclusive,  There is also an insurance company Cover for you underwritten by AXA which covers Cruises to nowhere and Around UK Cruises that appear to be on the ball with regards to actually defining what they will cover. Obviously more Companies will follow but this I believe was the first. Interestingly I believe AXA Travel Insurance may be ending next year to concentrate on their  AXA Health section. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php 

also for MSC Virtuosa cruises in the UK there is this on You Tube from MSC Grandoisa which may be of interest to what a cruise could be like on Virtuosa here in the UK

https://youtu.be/mL86xUYNe7A

9 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

Must have been having a Blonde  moment, just got the joke, OR were you having fun at my expense  🤔

The joke was definitely meant more at P&O's expense, not yours. Lots of folk think that the name of the new ship is too close to both Aviva and Arriva. On another forum I use she has been nicknamed 'Our Vera'...

• 2 weeks later...