I could not get back on this forum

I could not in this forum, having done many posts I was a bit upset, 

In my last post I told you my husband had a terminal illness well he was ill for six weeks than sadly died in October.

now I will have to brave and think about cruising on my own, I know a lot of you do this, but the idea terrifies me.

I’m so sorry to hear this Jenjen. What an awful time for you & your family. There seem to be a lot of positive posts from people who cruise alone so when you feel ready ( & we’re allowed to go) I hope you can take the brave step to try one & have a lovely time.🌈🛳

Jensen, so sorry to hear your news, remember you are never alone on a cruise ship, but, there is always a quiet place if you need it.

it will seem strange but you must do it. I always say to my husband if I was on my own cruising is something I could do.

Hi Jenjen.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, my mother sadly passed away recently and her funeral is on Wednesday so I can empathise with you at this time.

As has been said there is a lot of positivity regarding solo cruising (apart from the single supplement) of course, but I can understand your anxiety.

When you feel the time is right, maybe pick a cruise with an itinerary or port that you both have found memories of it may bring you some comfort.

Take care.

HLM.

23 hours ago, Jenjen said:

I could not in this forum, having done many posts I was a bit upset, 

In my last post I told you my husband had a terminal illness well he was ill for six weeks than sadly died in October.

now I will have to brave and think about cruising on my own, I know a lot of you do this, but the idea terrifies me.

So sorry to hear this Jenjen. There is nothing anyone can say to make things any easier or better but please know you have my deepest condolences.

We had been cruising on & off for 17 years when my partner died in 2012. Strangely enough, it would have been his 66th birthday today. Tony died in early June that year and I actually went on a cruise in October that year. It felt quite soon but was also partly driven by wanting to get his ashes scattered at sea. Various other options to do it hadn't worked out and I knew it was possible to do it from a cruise ship. P&O were fabulous in helping me arrange that and Captain Neil Turnbull was marvellous on the day.

It was a tough cruise but I met some wonderful people on it and a little bizarrely, shared a dining table with 3 ladies, all of who were widows. Sail away from Southampton was really tough but luckily, I have friends who live close to Southampton and kindly they had driven to Mayflower Park and were waving and flashing their car headlights as Aurora passed by. That really helped. Since then, I have done a number of solo cruises as well as some with two (separate) friends and I enjoy equally both those with friends and those I do solo. I've also taken a few solo short breaks at Warner Hotels and enjoy those too but cruising is a great way to travel after losing the love of your life - it is safe and supportive. I highly recommend it but only you will know when it is the right time for you to try it.

I have one amusing anecdote from my first solo cruise. Other friends had kindly bought me a gift package that included a half bottle of Champagne. After the short ceremony to cast Tony's ashes, I decided to have the bubbly to drink him a silent toast. I took it up to the Prom deck and set myself up by the ship's rail. We both had enjoyed a fair bit of bubbly over the years, so I was quite practiced opening bottles of the stuff. I took the metal cage off and for some reason, didn't put my hand over the top. As I leant over to pick up my glass, the cork shot out, hitting me fair & square on the upper lip! I must admit that at such a sad time, it made me chuckle and whilst I don't think I believe in an afterlife, I did kind of think it was Tony's way of saying "that'll teach you to be down there drinking Champagne without me".

I am sure when the time is right you will be able to start enjoying cruises again. Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Take care,

Andrew

I haven't logged into this forum for some time. I did tonight and I'm so sorry to hear your news Jenjen. I really can't imagine how you must be feeling. I do hope that one day when you are able you will cruise again.