COVID vaccination

Good idea, I think you should be issued a certificate on your second vaccine to prove you have had the vaccine, this is what happened years ago on receipt of the likes of smallpox, yellow fever jabs etc.

it could easily be signed off each year. I think that it might end up like the flu jab needing to be updated at least annually. Let’s face it with all the bugs you can catch on ships to insist on a vaccine jab, even if you have to pay for it which the flu jab only costs around a tenner, it’s worth it.

It's an interesting move by them and they are in a fairly unique position in providing travel solely for the over 50's. I suspect that they will however have to delay resumption later than May. I am 60 and will be surprised if I get my second dose of the vaccine before late June. If nothing else however, it has given Saga a lot of free publicity 😀.

More generally, I think the govt. will have to bring in some sort of certification. The EU are looking at introducing a "vaccination passport" and I suspect many other countries will end up requiring proof.

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Hi 2torts,

Seems a sensible move to me.  Have to say, Saga's new ships look very tempting.

DavidH

Yes, the new ships look beautiful and are a lovely size David. Sadly, for me, having been built as all-balcony vessels and all-inclusive, they have priced me out of the market. I have booked an outside cabin for a 19 night cruise on Aurora in 2022 for just over £3000. On Saga, I have seen several 14 night cruises next year advertised at well over £5000 for solo pax. If you normally travel as a twosome and usually book a balcony cabin, they are reasonable value but it doesn't work well for solos or those who often book an inside cabin.

44 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

When comparing Saga with other cruse lines you must remember what the Saga price includes, 

insurance, drinks, excursions, no extra charges for using other dinning options and travel door to ship and return. Therefore sometimes the difference is not as big as you think.

Travel door to ship is only available if you live no more than 250 miles from Southampton if you do then you have to make own arrangement.

On 21/01/2021 at 12:49 PM, Countrygirl said:

When comparing Saga with other cruse lines you must remember what the Saga price includes, 

insurance, drinks, excursions, no extra charges for using other dinning options and travel door to ship and return. Therefore sometimes the difference is not as big as you think.

I agree with you but only when comparing like for like cabin grades. As said above, if you normally sail in an inside cabin, the finances really don't work out. If you normally have a balcony and are not tee-total, then the differential is much smaller. If I had chosen an inside cabin for my 19 night Aurora cruise, it would have only cost £2,200. A two week Saga cruise would be more than double that.