Azamara to join Sycamore Partners

Not sure if the Forum is still alive but thought I'd ask anyway.

Has anybody picked up on the move by Azamara  - leaving RCI and joining Sycamore Partners, a private equity firm based in New York?  Received an email this afternoon.

Hope it doesn't reduce the combined brownie points we've achieved with both Azamara and Celebrity.

Anyone got any inside info???

DavidH

ps Happy New Year. 

3 hours ago, towny44 said:

Seems a strange time for any company not currently involved in cruising to be buying an existing brand. Even the most optimistic restart date for cruising is still several months away.

Not if they get it at the right price and that is what private equity firms are all about. Thats how they and many entrepreneurs make their money at the expense of companies struggling. Look at all the vultures circling around the Arcadia group and trying to cherry pick the better companies.

Not a huge surprise given that RCI had bought Silversea. Azamara would have a bit of an overlap with both the Celebrity and Silversea brands in terms of passenger demographic. Private equity companies own all sorts of companies and generally leave them to their own devices as long as they are turning a profit. Some of the management team are still in place I understand so hopefully the product won't change too much. It will be interesting to see what happens with their pricing once they no longer have the buying power of RCI behind them but at least they already have contacts in the right places.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with their pricing once they no longer have the buying power of RCI behind them but at least they already have contacts in the right places.

Hi Andrew,

Hope you are well?

From looking at the 2022 versions of the back to back cruises which we were booked on for November/December 2020, Azamara pricing had already gone through the roof before this move took place.  Whilst a massive fan of the cruise experience they offer, the cabin sizes do not warrant the prices they are now asking.  Sadly, I think we will be looking elsewhere when, eventually, I can persuade W to allow me to book another cruise.

We have been re-booked by HAL for our twice cancelled Japan and Russia Cruise, now scheduled for April 2022.  Interestingly, Azamara are in and out of Yokohama on the exact days that we will be on and off Noordam.  The price of a Balcony Cabin on Azamara is twice that of our Signature Suite on Noordam, though I admit we are paying prices in relation to the original booking which was scheduled for April 2020. 

DavidH

On 21/01/2021 at 12:47 PM, DavidH said:

Hi Andrew,

Hope you are well?

From looking at the 2022 versions of the back to back cruises which we were booked on for November/December 2020, Azamara pricing had already gone through the roof before this move took place.  Whilst a massive fan of the cruise experience they offer, the cabin sizes do not warrant the prices they are now asking.  Sadly, I think we will be looking elsewhere when, eventually, I can persuade W to allow me to book another cruise.

We have been re-booked by HAL for our twice cancelled Japan and Russia Cruise, now scheduled for April 2022.  Interestingly, Azamara are in and out of Yokohama on the exact days that we will be on and off Noordam.  The price of a Balcony Cabin on Azamara is twice that of our Signature Suite on Noordam, though I admit we are paying prices in relation to the original booking which was scheduled for April 2020. 

DavidH

Hi David,

Yes, all okay with me thanks. Hopefully, once the effects of Covid are behind us fully, we will see prices for most lines start to reduce a bit. Interestingly, I see that Princess Cruises has just announced the sale of its last remaining 'R Class' ship. They haven't disclosed the buyer yet but I wonder if it could possibly be Sycamore for Azamara...