Sign in to follow this  
Graden

How about other UK ports ?

The postings under this topic will still remain when cruising returns.

Cruise companies reiterate time and time again about steps they are taking to address the current virus issues on board their ships.

All well and good,yet,for many of us we still have the arduous journey of many hours to reach Southampton.

En route we go past ports in Scotland,Newcastle and Liverpool certainly with the infrastructure to take most modern liners.

Unless we drive down ourselves in the main we have to endure many hours on a coach and until a vaccination is rolled out,we shall be obliged to wear a face mask/covering.

Surely it's time more shipping companies followed the Fred Olsen lead by taking advantage of these mid country ports.

What do you think?

Best wishes to you all 

You make a good point Graden and it is something that has been mentioned by others. However it's one thing for Fred Olsen with their smaller ships to use those ports mentioned as turn round ports but what of the larger ships which now make up more than a significant proportion of the cruise industry. Do the ports you mention for instance have the bunkering facilities, quay length, car parking, rail network etc. for ships in the 100,000 - 200,00 GT range with lengths up to 1,200ft catering for up to 6,000 passengers plus crew . The other question that comes to mind, are there enough passengers to fill ships of that size if based at the locations you have mentioned.

As always, time will tell.

I certainly agree with the comments by OWT and David above. As the mainstream cruise lines build ever larger ships, I think it would get more difficult for them to have regional departures, especially on a frequent basis. Liverpool could be reasonably well provided for, as long as the new cruise terminal eventually gets built. Places like Newcastle and Rosyth however would only seem suitable for those travelling by car.  Additionally, Rosyth cannot take large ships as access is restricted by the Forth Bridges. Greenock can take fairly large ships but again, there is very little infrastructure there to support changeovers and a relatively small population to provide a decent supply of passengers.

Another relevant issue is that the RCI and Carnival companies have made significant commitments to Southampton. RCI I believe made a large financial contribution when City Cruise Terminal was rebuilt and enlarged. Carnival the same with Ocean Terminal and of course with Carnival in particular, their UK HQ is in Southampton. Increasingly, the cruise lines are looking to cut costs and a way of doing this is to be based in one centre in order to get the best deals.

At the end of the day, I don't see regular, large-ship cruising anywhere other than Southampton in the UK.

4 hours ago, bluemoon said:

I heared a rumour P&O were looking at Hull, plenty of deep sea berths there and on the end of M62 ideal for Scandinavia

I guess time will tell but as you can see from the above posts, P&O are very much committed to Southampton...

6 hours ago, bluemoon said:

I heared a rumour P&O were looking at Hull, plenty of deep sea berths there and on the end of M62 ideal for Scandinavia

Traditionally P&O have not done milk run cruises with the same ship, but they did intend just that with Iona, however I suspect Iona would be too big for Hull to deal with 5500 passengers every  7 days.

HUll are planing a brand new cruise terminal, car parks and reguired maine works for the largest cruise ships. A63 dual cariageway right to the terminal already exists straight off the M62, so easy journey than through the streets of Southampton. It will not replace Southampton but compliment it. Few years in the future though

On 9/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, towny44 said:

Traditionally P&O have not done milk run cruises with the same ship, but they did intend just that with Iona, however I suspect Iona would be too big for Hull to deal with 5500 passengers every  7 days.

"Milk Run" cruises?

21 hours ago, bluemoon said:

HUll are planing a brand new cruise terminal, car parks and reguired maine works for the largest cruise ships. A63 dual cariageway right to the terminal already exists straight off the M62, so easy journey than through the streets of Southampton. It will not replace Southampton but compliment it. Few years in the future though

Unless they have agreements in principle with some cruise lines, that's quite a risky venture but I wish them well. Maybe P&O are thinking of adopting the Costa Cruises practice of having more than one starting point - day 1 Southampton, day 2 Hull, day 3 Scandinavia etc. Mind you, not sure how many pax boarding in Southampton would fancy 2 calls into Hull in one cruise...

I believe P&O are one ofthe cruise lines that were intrested intrested would save fuel and most cruise pasengers live in the midlands, north, Scotland and Northern island. Much easier than travelling down south.P&O have a huge Ferry Terminal in Hull and have a good relatoinship with Kingston upon Hull City Council. Just let me point out I am not from Hull just know  that feelers have been put out to construction firms.

43 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

I believe P&O are one ofthe cruise lines that were intrested intrested would save fuel and most cruise pasengers live in the midlands, north, Scotland and Northern island. Much easier than travelling down south.P&O have a huge Ferry Terminal in Hull and have a good relatoinship with Kingston upon Hull City Council. Just let me point out I am not from Hull just know  that feelers have been put out to construction firms.

Just for your info P&O Ferries have no connection any longer to P&O cruises, so any ferry relationship will have no influence with Carnival who own P&O cruises.

23 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Unless they have agreements in principle with some cruise lines, that's quite a risky venture but I wish them well. Maybe P&O are thinking of adopting the Costa Cruises practice of having more than one starting point - day 1 Southampton, day 2 Hull, day 3 Scandinavia etc. Mind you, not sure how many pax boarding in Southampton would fancy 2 calls into Hull in one cruise...

CMV did this with Tilbury and then further embarkation in Amsterdam the next day. Amsterdam was always day 2 so nothing repeated.

18 hours ago, towny44 said:

Just for your info P&O Ferries have no connection any longer to P&O cruises, so any ferry relationship will have no influence with Carnival who own P&O cruises.

Thanks for the info Midshipman, but I knew P&O Ferries were owned by DP WORLD. Ther is no smoke without fire,but I will keep what I know to myself.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:47 PM, towny44 said:

The same cruise itinerary done continuously over a season, just like a lot of the US ships do in the Caribbean.

Thanks. Ah, the way of operating that P&O seem to have largely adopted from next year for all their bigger ships. Only Aurora and Arcadia now seem to have a truly varied set of itineraries.

21 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

CMV did this with Tilbury and then further embarkation in Amsterdam the next day. Amsterdam was always day 2 so nothing repeated.

And Cunard with QM2 TA Crossings. They used to be Southampton-New York-Southampton. Now the have added in Hamburg, which also gives them short cruises Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton.

3 hours ago, afcandrew said:

And Cunard with QM2 TA Crossings. They used to be Southampton-New York-Southampton. Now the have added in Hamburg, which also gives them short cruises Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton.

Also done because QM2 attracts a lot of German cruisers doing TAs to New York.