- was checking my updates on our Nationwide Flex-Plus travel insurance. The way it reads is that those already having this insurance will be covered for both cancellation and illness whilst abroad. The proviso's being that travel was not undertaken against either FCO travel advice or that of your GP.

This is the current wording:- Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip.

Edited by Anchors-aweigh

My wife has pointed out a clear contradiction in the N/W website. I found the advice [shown here] in the Q&A section online -however their opening page indicates that this cover would only apply to trips booked before 18th March. I will have to call to check [ my critical date for a short trip to France is late Sept and they request only to call if within 28 days] 

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

- was checking my updates on our Nationwide Flex-Plus travel insurance. The way it reads is that those already having this insurance will be covered for both cancellation and illness whilst abroad. The proviso's being that travel was not undertaken against either FCO travel advice or that of your GP.

This is the current wording:- Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip.

If that clause is carried out to the letter, then any cruise booking made since March 18th would not be covered, and that presumably would include any transfers or bookings made using a FCC.  I wonder if NW, or any other insurer having similar terms really intend that to be the case.  I would hope that once the FCO advisory is withdrawn then all policies would provide medical expenses cover for Covid-19.

This on MSN news :-

China's top coronavirus expert, Dr Zhong Nanshan, claimed last month that the country's first COVID-19 vaccines could be ready to use as early as autumn.

The 83-year-old leading epidemiologist said that some vaccines developed by Chinese scientists could be ready for 'emergency use' no later than the end of this year.

He said: 'Some of them could be used for emergency maybe by the end of this year. We believe in the autumn or winter this year if they are needed for an emergency.'

2 minutes ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

This on MSN news :-

China's top coronavirus expert, Dr Zhong Nanshan, claimed last month that the country's first COVID-19 vaccines could be ready to use as early as autumn.

The 83-year-old leading epidemiologist said that some vaccines developed by Chinese scientists could be ready for 'emergency use' no later than the end of this year.

He said: 'Some of them could be used for emergency maybe by the end of this year. We believe in the autumn or winter this year if they are needed for an emergency.'

Hmmmmm. "Could be ready" and "needed for an emergency". That certainly doesn't fill me with confidence....

Do we believe Dr Zhong Nansham or anything coming out of China? So many lies have been told already. The FCO do not want anybody to cruise ever and Public Health England just want us 70 and over to stop indoors and fade away. We have two cruises booked for next year but I have not taken out any insurance yet because no one knows what is going on.

My mantra is that we are only on this crazy merry-go-round once. I try not to get too 'down' about the situation, this has all happened in about 6 months, our next cruise is eight months ahead. As we are witness -even six months is a long time! Carnival CEO said that the German cruise industry is very strong since the announcement of sailing. 

Some upbeat news on vaccines. AstraZeneca found that their experimental Covid19 injection had no side-effects and also built up some immunity. They still talk of it being probably available by the Autumn.

AstraZeneca’s is looking to test two high doses of its experimental vaccine against the new coronavirus in later stage trials rather than focus on approval for single or lower doses of the vaccine, its biopharma chief said on Monday.

“Right now, the safe thing to do is go with two doses, and then we’ll start exploring single doses or lower doses,” Mene Pangalos, executive vice-president for BioPharmaceuticals R&D, told reporters.

Edited by Anchors-aweigh