Personally, I am not giving much thought to cruising this winter because of the reasons you state. I am due to fly to San Francisco at the end of January to join Arcadia but really doubt that will happen. I am not a Caribbean fan fortunately, so if this winter's season should end up being cancelled it will not affect me. A lot will depend on the future path of the virus and whether there are more spikes.

We're supposed to be on Iona in November to Spain & Portugal & again in February to the Canaries. I'm still hoping that they will go ahead even if we have to miss out a few ports. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new ship even though I prefer the smaller ones - my favourite is still Oriana with Aurora a close second.

5 hours ago, 2torts said:

We're supposed to be on Iona in November to Spain & Portugal & again in February to the Canaries. I'm still hoping that they will go ahead even if we have to miss out a few ports. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new ship even though I prefer the smaller ones - my favourite is still Oriana with Aurora a close second.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you for both of them but I think February is more likely than November.

Now the FCO has advised everyone against cruising it will certainly throw cruise lines into turmoil as their plans for the near future are destroyed. Celestyal have cancelled all cruises to March 2021and I wonder if others will follow suit. Looking back 12 months it's hard to believe that such a vibrant industry has been decimated in such a short time. 

In view of cruising being on hold I have in the last few days been looking for a full board hotel by the sea in the Kent/Sussex area so my wife and I can get away for a few days and it seems they don't exist. All I seem to find are  B&B's and caravan sites. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Now the FCO has advised everyone against cruising it will certainly throw cruise lines into turmoil as their plans for the near future are destroyed. Celestyal have cancelled all cruises to March 2021and I wonder if others will follow suit. Looking back 12 months it's hard to believe that such a vibrant industry has been decimated in such a short time. 

In view of cruising being on hold I have in the last few days been looking for a full board hotel by the sea in the Kent/Sussex area so my wife and I can get away for a few days and it seems they don't exist. All I seem to find are  B&B's and caravan sites. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Have you tried checking Eastbourne for hotels? It is a fairly traditional seaside town and might have more hotels offering full board. A friend of mine regularly visits the Hydro Hotel there and loves it.

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi OWT,

Have you considered Warner Leisure Breaks.  Not in Kent/Sussex but we enjoyed a few days at Sinah Warren Hotel on Hayling Island some years ago,  From their website, it would seem Warners are opening up from 27 July.

DavidH

4 hours ago, afcandrew said:

the Hydro Hotel there and loves it.

Hi afcandrew and many thanks for the recommendation. It looks a beautiful hotel, however the price quoted is more than I want to pay for a quick break but thank you for taking the trouble to suggest somewhere.

3 hours ago, DavidH said:

Sinah Warren Hotel

Hi DavidH and thank you for the suggestion. Had a look at Warners but unfortunately there is nothing available until the 31st July and we were looking for next week. Again thank you for taking the trouble to suggest somewhere.

I am beginning to think that a hotel near the sea offering what they do in say Spain/Portugal at aa reasonable cost would make a fortune, however at 76 I am a bit old to start on another venture 🤣

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi afcandrew and many thanks for the recommendation. It looks a beautiful hotel, however the price quoted is more than I want to pay for a quick break but thank you for taking the trouble to suggest somewhere.

Hi DavidH and thank you for the suggestion. Had a look at Warners but unfortunately there is nothing available until the 31st July and we were looking for next week. Again thank you for taking the trouble to suggest somewhere.

I am beginning to think that a hotel near the sea offering what they do in say Spain/Portugal at aa reasonable cost would make a fortune, however at 76 I am a bit old to start on another venture 🤣

Sadly, I suspect with hotels operating at reduced capacity and many people reluctant to travel overseas at the moment, prices will probably have rocketed.