Anchors-aweigh

Cruising after the 'virus'

29 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

It states on Cunard's website that only QV cruises are cancelled until May, QE until March and QM2 April.

You are correct Sinbad10, my mistake, it is indeed 25th March, 18th April and 16th May. However it is still almost 7 months before the first Cunard ship will set sail, will others follow?

Our cruises on Iona in November & February have now been cancelled.  I hope that by the time we get to our next one in May that the virus will either have burnt itself out or that there is a vaccine available.

3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

This is a link to a new type of test called DNA Nudge -it is carried out by taking a cheek swab and the result is known within an hour. It has been proved to have an accuracy of 95% and a specificity of 100% [as I understand it- this means a test of not having the virus] 

https://www.dnanudge.com/en/COVID-Nudge

These cost about £30 per test kit, so quite expensive to test all 8000 passengers and crew on an Excellence class ship, especially if you intend testing everyone who goes ashore at each port.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:15 PM, Pesky Pirate said:

I see P and O have now cancelled all cruises until 2021

A sensible decision. After their refund fiasco, which has brought tons of negative press on social media, they needed to do something. At least announcing this now has saved a lot of folk paying the final balance on their Christmas cruises.

5 hours ago, afcandrew said:

A sensible decision. After their refund fiasco, which has brought tons of negative press on social media, they needed to do something. At least announcing this now has saved a lot of folk paying the final balance on their Christmas cruises.

I think the Xmas cruise balance date has already passed, I know a friend of ours only just paid her balance for Iona over Xmas.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:54 PM, towny44 said:

I think the Xmas cruise balance date has already passed, I know a friend of ours only just paid her balance for Iona over Xmas.

Would probably depend upon the date of the cruise and whether booked direct or through a TA. I know P&O were being flexible to pax who asked to delay balance payment recently but of course they denied it in public - as were one or two of the better TA's.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

Would probably depend upon the date of the cruise and whether booked direct or through a TA. I know P&O were being flexible to pax who asked to delay balance payment recently but of course they denied it in public - as were one or two of the better TA's.

She was on Iona on a B2B over Xmas and New Year, but dont know the first sailing date. They were booked direct  and did ask P&O to delay the balance, but were denied, so this was not available to everyone.

Edited by towny44

2 hours ago, towny44 said:

She was on Iona on a B2B over Xmas and New Year, but dont know the first sailing date. They were booked direct  and did ask P&O to delay the balance, but were denied, so this was not available to everyone.

Typical P&O shoreside - left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...

This is part of the protocol adopted by the CLIA:-

Shore Excursions: Only permitted shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

The devil will be in the detail - I can foresee a lot of potential cruisers [like myself and wife] who will think hard about  cruising where one could be only allowed ashore as part of chaperoned excursions. 

Yes, I think many will agree with you. We will just have to hope that the Covid crisis eases to almost nothing by the middle of next year and that life can get back to a pretty good version of normal... 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

12 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

This is part of the protocol adopted by the CLIA:-

Shore Excursions: Only permitted shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

The devil will be in the detail - I can foresee a lot of potential cruisers [like myself and wife] who will think hard about  cruising where one could be only allowed ashore as part of chaperoned excursions. 

I would be happy to cruise and go ashore with an permitted excursion. I would feel much safer knowing that it would greatly reduce the risk of virus transmission. Until we get a vaccine I think it will be the only way to go if you want to “Carry on Cruising”

11 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

I would be happy to cruise and go ashore with an permitted excursion. I would feel much safer knowing that it would greatly reduce the risk of virus transmission. Until we get a vaccine I think it will be the only way to go if you want to “Carry on Cruising”

But of course, ship-only excursions would only be one of a number of restrictions. It would undoubtedly be accompanied by social distancing on board, mask-wearing whilst moving around the ship and in many public areas etc. I will be choosing not to cruise until most restrictions have been lifted. I would rather go to a land hotel where you can escape properly during the day and only have restrictions at breakfast and in the evening.

Last week I did a 5 day English river cruise and the company had thought about everything to make passengers safe. Yes, it was a very small ship, only 16 on board but they insisted on mask wearing in public areas, had devised a one-way system, each table was for two and separated from others by a clear perspex screen and each table had its own air supply. The table condiments, milk, hot water and drinking water stayed on that table as did utensils and the hand sanitiser dispenser. The whole ship had sanitisers at all entrances, temperatures were taken daily. The meals were as good as any of the luxury ships and there was a choice of wines, beers or soft drinks at lunch and dinner. Tours were included in the price so no paying high prices on top of the fare and gratuities were discretionary, for those that wanted to tip it was recommended at £10 per cabin per day. Masks were provided in the cabin as was sanitiser and pocket/handbag bottles of sanitiser for when going ashore. Perhaps the large ships will do something similar.

18 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Last week I did a 5 day English river cruise and the company had thought about everything to make passengers safe. Yes, it was a very small ship, only 16 on board but they insisted on mask wearing in public areas, had devised a one-way system, each table was for two and separated from others by a clear perspex screen and each table had its own air supply. The table condiments, milk, hot water and drinking water stayed on that table as did utensils and the hand sanitiser dispenser. The whole ship had sanitisers at all entrances, temperatures were taken daily. The meals were as good as any of the luxury ships and there was a choice of wines, beers or soft drinks at lunch and dinner. Tours were included in the price so no paying high prices on top of the fare and gratuities were discretionary, for those that wanted to tip it was recommended at £10 per cabin per day. Masks were provided in the cabin as was sanitiser and pocket/handbag bottles of sanitiser for when going ashore. Perhaps the large ships will do something similar.

It certainly does sound well-organised. Were you wearing masks when outside on excursions or just social-distancing? I am NOT asking the price but I would guess it was considerably more than an average mainstream cruise line. Whilst I can see this sort of system working on large ships, it still wouldn't be attractive to me when sailing solo.

It's been interesting to read all the posts here. The forum pre 2020 was often home to a lot of moans and groans about the cruise experience, often quite justified. Having now had 3 cruises cancelled due to the pandemic, I would be delighted to be on any cruise anywhere, (provided it is safe of course). Haven't tried to book anything new because of uncertainty and the price hikes mentioned. We do have an existing booking for Christmas 2021 and just keeping fingers crossed that we are in a better place by then. Hope all forum members are keeping safe and well.

7 hours ago, littlemousa said:

It's been interesting to read all the posts here. The forum pre 2020 was often home to a lot of moans and groans about the cruise experience, often quite justified. Having now had 3 cruises cancelled due to the pandemic, I would be delighted to be on any cruise anywhere, (provided it is safe of course). Haven't tried to book anything new because of uncertainty and the price hikes mentioned. We do have an existing booking for Christmas 2021 and just keeping fingers crossed that we are in a better place by then. Hope all forum members are keeping safe and well.

Hi littlemousa . We’ve also had 3 cruises cancelled now & have 2 booked for next year so hopefully it will either  have run its course or we’ll be able to have a jab by then. Hope everyone is keeping safe & well.

We have had 3 and a half cruises cancelled. I do hope the protocols that have been agreed will allow cruising to restart from UK in Spring. We have 5 cruises booked at the moment so keeping fingers crossed.

So now Azamara have cancelled all cruises until Spring 2021.

Quest will re-start on March 20th with a Spain Intensive voyage.

Journey on April 9th with an Iberia Intensive.

Pursuit on May 9th with a Greece Intensive.

Or will they??????????????

DavidH

Well, it looks like P&O will have their new ship available whenever cruising is resumed. According to a normally very accurate source, the 5200+ pax Iona was formally handed over to P&O this morning. She is apparently not expected to come to her home port of Southampton until next year...