Recently we sat down to discuss our 19 day cruise in April on the Aurora. My wife is very unsure about having an inside cabin due to recent events aboard cruise ships at sea. I looked at the Bolsover Cruise site and we decided to go for a balcony Saver cabin. Having paid over £1750 each for a top Select Inside it was still a considerable 'lift' of some £900. So I left a message and early next morning [I would guess around 9.15] I got the call from one of the Bolsover girls and subsequently she got in touch with P&O [she had said it might take a while] - the timings are what my mini-rant is about. 

She called back later that day and said she had some good news/some not-so-good. P&O agreed to grant a 'downgrade' - nice of them as it was to put close on £1000 extra into the coffers I thought! However the 'bad' news was that at 10.30 that morning there was a price uplift from £2099 pp to £2199 pp. I did point out that my enquiry to my agent was made before the increase and to be fair to the lass -she did go back to try for the £2099pp price. This was to no avail. I think this is a 'shoot-in-the-foot' lack of goodwill for P&O as I would have paid over the extra for the outside cabin - but not the additional £200. So now I wait it out - if we still feel strongly enough we will either forfeit the deposit -or use it on a far cheaper cruise with P&O. 

I can understand why you are miffed and would probably feel likewise. Sadly, I think you have been hit with a double whammy. With the current situation, it would seem that bookings for 2021 are pretty healthy as many pax have moved from cancelled cruises this year to next and some have chosen to do the same before cancellation. On top of that, you are looking at Aurora, which of course has a limited number of balcony cabins. I'm sure if your cruise had been aboard one of the larger ships with copious balcony cabins, the situation would be very different. Getting a good result out of staff in Carnival HQ has always been hit and miss and is probably more so at the moment when they are trying to ensure survival.

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

Thanks for a well-considered post. Right now I am awaiting a call from Bolsover as I have requested the email address of the CEO of P&O. 

Sorry if I am telling you something you already know but, if you are going to send an email to the CEO then please start with the words “ I wonder if you can help me as I have exhausted all other means”. Then explain your situation. I have found in the past that this works.  From experience I have had to make contact twice to CEO.s and it has worked.

I was also the Pa to a CEO and if the person was angry then they went to the bottom of the pile. If they had explained their problem in a pleasant way then I was more inclined to help.

Something to consider Anchors-Aweigh, what was the cost of a balcony cabin when you originally booked because normally you would be charged whatever the cost was at the date of booking should you wish to upgrade at a later date, I'm guessing ( I may be wrong  and my apologies if I am ) that the saver fare you are now wishing to book is considerably less, the point I am making is if P&O are willing to let you adjust the booking at todays saver price albeit slightly higher than you had first anticipated ( fluid pricing unfortunately and we've all been victim to that ) then that seems rather fair to me, these are very difficult times and I've read lots of moans and groans over the last few weeks and whilst P&O are not my favourite cruise line I do think they have been very generous in trying to accommodate the customer as much as they possibly can when they have had little or no control over what is happening around the world. 

I wish you luck with your upgrade and happy sailing.  

You have made a fair point DQ - I would only come back as saying [and I suppose you could argue that I am repeating] we talked a while about just giving up on the cruise altogether but I managed to convince my wife that we could get a balcony cabin [on one of two higher decks for an uplift of somewhere around £900] - she said OK go ahead. So as I spoke to the young lady at Bolsover we were hopeful, even confident that P&O would go for the price as shown [and agreed] by Bolsover at the time of enquiry.

I take on board that by the time the enquiry was made the price HAD uplifted -but the irony being IF I had dealt direct with P&O no doubt at 9am that morning I could have agreed the change -and at the price shown online. Maybe that is something I need to take on board for future cruises. 

I see your point too Anchors-Aweigh and  £900 is a substantial amount of money to find when you haven't originally budgeted for it but don't let a further £200 leave a 'sour taste' because I can guarantee having a balcony will enhance the whole experience for you. 

I'm not suggesting you don't contact the CEO of P&O .. if you don't ask you don't get and tbh £200  is a mere drop in the ocean to P&O ( pun intended 😉 )  unfortunately and I know this from experience if your original booking was made with an agent P&O would not have dealt directly with you , however the CEO can overrule any protocol so go for it  but  please continue to support TA's like Bolsover because they don't make the rules but have to take the 'flack' when it all goes wrong.

nice to hear back DQ. I pin any hopes on the words in my OP - 'does goodwill exist?'  We have pretty much decided that should goodwill not come to the fore we will look away from P&O for future cruises. I will give it until the weekend -then try to make contact with Paul Ludlow [as suggested earlier in the thread]. I was assured that ,following an online chat in here, the copy of my original post has been forwarded to the Admin team here.

I got a nicely phrased email from one of the admin team at P&O. It pointed out the 'fluid pricing' policy and that no exceptions could be made. Referring to our birthdays during the said cruise, the company are allowing a further £50 OBC irrespective. My wife was so looking forward to that cruise as there were half of the ports we had never visited-so I went back to the girl I know at Bolsover. 

She pointed out just how few of the balcony cabins were left and after a quick chat with OH we [mainly 'she'!] picked out a cabin and we booked it. P&O are certainly 'loading' prices as the cabin code we booked at £2303 is now showing at £2999pp. 

• 3 months later...

I'd keep your expectations low on the roll call to avoid disappointment 🙂. I will keep my fingers crossed for you but must say I am pleased in some ways that my next cruise is now due in late June next year (after having three cancelled). I really do hope cruises will be operating by next April, although I have a feeling at the moment that they might not be the ones presently scheduled...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 6:13 PM, Anchors-aweigh said:

Recently we sat down to discuss our 19 day cruise in April on the Aurora. My wife is very unsure about having an inside cabin due to recent events aboard cruise ships at sea. I looked at the Bolsover Cruise site and we decided to go for a balcony Saver cabin. Having paid over £1750 each for a top Select Inside it was still a considerable 'lift' of some £900. So I left a message and early next morning [I would guess around 9.15] I got the call from one of the Bolsover girls and subsequently she got in touch with P&O [she had said it might take a while] - the timings are what my mini-rant is about. 

She called back later that day and said she had some good news/some not-so-good. P&O agreed to grant a 'downgrade' - nice of them as it was to put close on £1000 extra into the coffers I thought! However the 'bad' news was that at 10.30 that morning there was a price uplift from £2099 pp to £2199 pp. I did point out that my enquiry to my agent was made before the increase and to be fair to the lass -she did go back to try for the £2099pp price. This was to no avail. I think this is a 'shoot-in-the-foot' lack of goodwill for P&O as I would have paid over the extra for the outside cabin - but not the additional £200. So now I wait it out - if we still feel strongly enough we will either forfeit the deposit -or use it on a far cheaper cruise with P&O. 

I thought that P&O policy was that any changes were at the price on the day you booked?  Have they changed this? Or is it only for select price bookings?  We had a cabin booked and asked about adding our son to the booking. Because we had booked on the original release date when extra people in the cabin were free there was no charge. Also changed cabin last year, price for the cabin we moved to had gone up by £500pp since we booked but got the cabin at the cheaper price it was on the day we booked.

3 hours ago, seawitch said:

I thought that P&O policy was that any changes were at the price on the day you booked?  Have they changed this? Or is it only for select price bookings?  We had a cabin booked and asked about adding our son to the booking. Because we had booked on the original release date when extra people in the cabin were free there was no charge. Also changed cabin last year, price for the cabin we moved to had gone up by £500pp since we booked but got the cabin at the cheaper price it was on the day we booked.

I recently contacted Bolsover to enquire about changing a booking made in Oct 2019 for a cruise on Britannia in May 2021 for Select price inside cabin to Select price balcony cabin and was quoted price of balcony cabin the day we booked and not the current price.