Cruise Refund

6 hours ago, towny44 said:

HLM, from everything I have read the Carnival lines have taken full control of the refund process and done nothing to keep the TAs in the loop.  In that situation there is little a TA can do, and in fact those people who have been e-mailing the cruise lines direct asking where their refund is, seem to have fared the best.

But that's not the consumers fault that's for the TA to take up with the cruiseline.

Without going back and forth I'd still expect Bolsover to take some responsibility as they've taken the booking, it's easy just refer everything back to the cruiseline.

But I appreciate that's just my opinion.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

But that's not the consumers fault that's for the TA to take up with the cruiseline.

Without going back and forth I'd still expect Bolsover to take some responsibility as they've taken the booking, it's easy just refer everything back to the cruiseline.

But I appreciate that's just my opinion.

HLM.

But what happens with those that have booked with independent local TAs or national ones i.e. TUI or Co-op who have been closed since the start of lockdown on the orders of the government they cannot act on behalf of their customers because the staff have all been furloughed. To save confusion Cunard/P&O have taken over responsibility for all refunds so that there is no confusion sorting out those where TAs are still open or not.

3 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

But what happens with those that have booked with independent local TAs or national ones i.e. TUI or Co-op who have been closed since the start of lockdown on the orders of the government they cannot act on behalf of their customers because the staff have all been furloughed. To save confusion Cunard/P&O have taken over responsibility for all refunds so that there is no confusion sorting out those where TAs are still open or not.

Although the high street stores were closed most are still operating and taking bookings.

I had a land based holiday booked with TUI for the beginning of April this was sorted out over the phone very promptly in the circumstances, I initially asked for a credit then changed my mind and within 21 days had a full refund so obviously not all staff are furloughed.

Bolsover as you must be aware are still operating taking bookings and payments etc, what they appear not to be doing is assisting you in getting your money back.

Hopefully you will get your refund soon.

HLM.

22 hours ago, jinky said:

Where did I say I was talking about you? It was a general point saying that people whether cruising or on other holidays will have to accept the delays will be long. If a delay means the company  I`ve booked with gets through the crisis without going under I personally am happy to wait to protect jobs if I am assured a refund is on it`s way .

TOUCHÉ  jinky 

On your second point, I don’t think anyone wants to see people loose their jobs or companies go under.
Unfortunately, due to this current crisis there are people who are not in the position to wait indefinitely for their refunds. 

23 minutes ago, TrentAnn said:

TOUCHÉ  jinky 

On your second point, I don’t think anyone wants to see people loose their jobs or companies go under.
Unfortunately, due to this current crisis there are people who are not in the position to wait indefinitely for their refunds. 

I would agree, but except for anyone who has lost their job or been furloughed at lower than normal wage levels, this won't have caused financial hardship. The money had already been paid and except for those above they will be no worse off than they would have been if the cruise had gone ahead.

17 hours ago, TrentAnn said:

due to this current crisis there are people who are not in the position to wait indefinitely for their refunds. 

But as Towny has already said the monies have already been paid so in theory shouldn't be missed and just to add the Government in my opinion have been very generous in their financial package to those furloughed, my wife being one.

In addition there has been no additional onboard or normal holiday spend therefore people should've actually saved money and be in a better financial position as a result.

I can certainly empathise with those waiting for refunds and they will get them, just as everyone did when Thomas Cook collapsed, people just need to be patient in these unprecedented circumstances.

HLM.

On 5/26/2020 at 12:14 PM, sinbad10 said:

57 days since cancellation of my cruise no refund in sight and no communication whatsoever obviously Simon Palethorpe was lying when he said everyone would receive a refund in 60 days. Cunard have certainly lost my custom for future cruises.

I’ve now received my cruise refund, coincidentally within a few days of contacting P&O direct. 

It's not the role of Joe Public to be providing interest free loans to holiday companies whether those companies are in a risky financial situation or not.   It is unacceptable that refunds are taking so long and people have every right to be annoyed by this.

20 hours ago, Mayway said:

It's not the role of Joe Public to be providing interest free loans to holiday companies whether those companies are in a risky financial situation or not.   It is unacceptable that refunds are taking so long and people have every right to be annoyed by this.

Why do you think refunds are taking so long ?? there are only ever a minimum amount of employees within a company who have the authority to issue a refund and in these unprecedented times they are dealing with thousands rather than the odd few, add to that many staff will be working from home which even with a computer it isn't quite the same as being in the office and if there is a problem you have several colleagues close by who can be called on for help and of course customers are wanting to rebook cancelled cruises, move cruises not yet cancelled to 2021 or 2022 which must take up an enormous amount of man hours.  

Cruise lines have probably never been busier but it isn't just about Joe Public providing an interest free loan they have to prioritise and do what is best for everyone, I can appreciate those awaiting refunds want their money back but will a few more weeks make that much difference they can't go anywhere to spend it at the moment can they !!

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

It is plainly obvious that P&O/Cunard are delaying paying refunds for as long as possible for one reason only and that is to help there cash flow problems as they have no income at the moment. They are also hoping that people will either get fed up of waiting or through choice book another cruise using FCC. The main reason is they can then keep your money possibly for for another 12+ months again helping there cash flow problem and guaranteeing bookings. It is also beneficial to them because cruises for 2021 currently in general are a lot higher in price than when they were first released in September 2019 so in effect negates the extra 25% people think they are getting as a bonus because most cruises have increased more than 25% so in effect you are gaining nothing. 

2 hours ago, towny44 said:

You might be able to  gain something with your FCC if you wait for the summer 2022 cruises to go on sale. Prices at launch are generally very competitive.

If you have a Cunard FCC it has to be used by March 31st 2022 and when I asked if I could book a cruise and then transfer to a Summer 2022 when brochure was released was told NO by Cunard.

Edited by sinbad10
4 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Why do you think refunds are taking so long ?? there are only ever a minimum amount of employees within a company who have the authority to issue a refund and in these unprecedented times they are dealing with thousands rather than the odd few, add to that many staff will be working from home which even with a computer it isn't quite the same as being in the office and if there is a problem you have several colleagues close by who can be called on for help and of course customers are wanting to rebook cancelled cruises, move cruises not yet cancelled to 2021 or 2022 which must take up an enormous amount of man hours.  

Cruise lines have probably never been busier but it isn't just about Joe Public providing an interest free loan they have to prioritise and do what is best for everyone, I can appreciate those awaiting refunds want their money back but will a few more weeks make that much difference they can't go anywhere to spend it at the moment can they !!

Whilst I agree we can’t go anywhere to spend our refund .... it has enabled me to book a future family holiday, which during the lockdown has become a far more important priority for us all.

My solo cruising is now on hold until I see how things pan out within the cruising industry. 

Edited by TrentAnn
4 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I can appreciate those awaiting refunds want their money back but will a few more weeks make that much difference they can't go anywhere to spend it at the moment can they !!

I agree, in an earlier post I said 60 days should've been ample time to arrange refunds, however when I looked at the bigger picture and how in depth it is I changed my mind, sorting this mess out must be an absolute nightmare.

Like you said no one is realistically going anywhere soon so people may as well sit tight until the refund arrives or alternatively take the FCC.

HLM.

It is plainly obvious that P&O/Cunard are delaying paying refunds for as long as possible for one reason only and that is to help there cash flow problems as they have no income at the moment. They are also hoping that people will either get fed up of waiting or through choice book another cruise using FCC. The main reason is they can then keep your money possibly for for another 12+ months again helping there cash flow problem and guaranteeing bookings. It is also beneficial to them because cruises for 2021 currently in general are a lot higher in price than when they were first released in September 2019 so in effect negates the extra 25% people think they are getting as a bonus because most cruises have increased more than 25% so in effect you are gaining nothing. 

I would be very surprised if P&O & Cunard were deliberately holding back refunds as that would be in breach of consumer regulations,  they like several other major cruise lines are all simply struggling with the unprecedented demands.

As for higher prices going forward that's nothing new, it's always been the higher the demand the higher the price and due to this virus the demand for future cruises was always going to be high which intern pushes prices up.

HLM.

If you have a Cunard FCC it has to be used by March 31st 2022 and when I asked if I could book a cruise and then transfer to a Summer 2022 when brochure was released was told NO by Cunard.

I suppose my main interest being P&O my post was mainly aimed at their customers.