Jump to content

Cruise Refund


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

57 days since cancellation of my cruise no refund in sight and no communication whatsoever obviously Simon Palethorpe was lying when he said everyone would receive a refund in 60 days. Cunard have certainly lost my custom for future cruises.

Don’t hold your breath sinbad10 ....

I’m 72 days down the line waiting for a P&O refund, I was told by Bolsover 2 weeks ago it would be in my Bank account by the end of the week! 

P&O cancellation updated their refund policy on 19th May from 45 days to 60 days - looks like next update will be 90 days.

Funny thing is, the excursions I paid for with P&O were credited to my Bank within 2 days of me cancelling. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people will just to have accept they`ll get it when it comes. People are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes that would be fine usually but are impossible during these times. With so many staff laid off / working from home and companies wrestling to save their futures if you`ve been told it`s on it`s way you just have to wait. I`ve 2 holidays up and coming where I expect problems even in getting money back because of the nature of them with an insurance company saying no insurance companies are paying up for the virus and the holiday supplier saying claim on insurance. If I was told you`ll get it back in 90 days I`d be delighted!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TrentAnn said:

Don’t hold your breath sinbad10 ....

I’m 72 days down the line waiting for a P&O refund, I was told by Bolsover 2 weeks ago it would be in my Bank account by the end of the week! 

P&O cancellation updated their refund policy on 19th May from 45 days to 60 days - looks like next update will be 90 days.

Funny thing is, the excursions I paid for with P&O were credited to my Bank within 2 days of me cancelling. 

 

Not being savvy with all the legal obligations etc, but if you've booked through Bolsover would it not be up to them to reimburse your money regardless of what P&O are saying, surely your contractual agreement is with Bolsover if that's who you paid your monies too.

Unless the travel industry operates in a different way which I suspect not, buy a Samsung TV from Currys and it goes wrong you go to Currys not Samsung for reimbursement.

HLM.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Consumers Association has been majoring on this issue of refunds for several weeks now but to no avail.  They make the legal position quite clear but it doesn't seem to matter one jot.

I think the bottom line is we are not going to see refunds on cancelled trips until things ease enough for others to book and the travel companies start to get some cash flow back in.  That's why so many are offering future credits - they just don't have the cash reserves.

DavidH

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HLM said:

Not being savvy with all the legal obligations etc, but if you've booked through Bolsover would it not be up to them to reimburse your money regardless of what P&O are saying, surely your contractual agreement is with Bolsover if that's who you paid your monies too.

Unless the travel industry operates in a different way which I suspect not, buy a Samsung TV from Currys and it goes wrong you go to Currys not Samsung for reimbursement.

HLM.

 

I think you will find that your payment to Bolsover will show up on your credit or debit statement as being paid direct to the cruise line, and in Carnivals case their lines have taken responsibility for making all refunds, even for TA's that do not use the same direct payment process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jinky said:

I think people will just to have accept they`ll get it when it comes. People are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes that would be fine usually but are impossible during these times. With so many staff laid off / working from home and companies wrestling to save their futures if you`ve been told it`s on it`s way you just have to wait. I`ve 2 holidays up and coming where I expect problems even in getting money back because of the nature of them with an insurance company saying no insurance companies are paying up for the virus and the holiday supplier saying claim on insurance. If I was told you`ll get it back in 90 days I`d be delighted!

Where in my previous post did I imply  ‘people are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes’, I was merely replying to sinbad10 regarding my own situation. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, towny44 said:

I think you will find that your payment to Bolsover will show up on your credit or debit statement as being paid direct to the cruise line, and in Carnivals case their lines have taken responsibility for making all refunds, even for TA's that do not use the same direct payment process.

You’re right there Towny44 the payment on bank statements are shown as being paid to the cruise line, presumably  there is the option to claim under Section 75.

I’ll continue to wait for my refund with bated breath 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps when this is all over there is need for new legislation whereby a travel company has to have 2 accounts. The first is where your money is paid into and held until you actually receive the goods and a second where the money goes once you have received the goods. In this way if this situation ever happened again your money would be in the holding account and readily refundable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, towny44 said:

I think you will find that your payment to Bolsover will show up on your credit or debit statement as being paid direct to the cruise line, and in Carnivals case their lines have taken responsibility for making all refunds, even for TA's that do not use the same direct payment process.

I see exactly what you're saying Towny, but nether the less Bolsover are the agent who took the booking and they are responsible for the contract which was agreed.

If Carnival are not paying out satisfactorily then pursuing Bolsover is what I'd be doing as the buck stops with them as the booking agent.

HLM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavidH said:

The Consumers Association has been majoring on this issue of refunds for several weeks now but to no avail.  They make the legal position quite clear but it doesn't seem to matter one jot.

I think the bottom line is we are not going to see refunds on cancelled trips until things ease enough for others to book and the travel companies start to get some cash flow back in.  That's why so many are offering future credits - they just don't have the cash reserves.

DavidH

Many people who have booked with P&O have had their refunds this last week or so as they approached 60 days since they cancelled so some are getting refunds but have to admit Cunard have been absolutely awful. They have ignored e-mails and PMs even after Simon Palethorpe (President Cunard) announced that everybody will get a refund by 60 days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jinky said:

I think people will just to have accept they`ll get it when it comes. People are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes that would be fine usually but are impossible during these times. With so many staff laid off / working from home and companies wrestling to save their futures if you`ve been told it`s on it`s way you just have to wait. I`ve 2 holidays up and coming where I expect problems even in getting money back because of the nature of them with an insurance company saying no insurance companies are paying up for the virus and the holiday supplier saying claim on insurance. If I was told you`ll get it back in 90 days I`d be delighted!

"People are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes" the law states within 14 days so think 60 days is not being unrealistic and even then they are not refunding by that timescale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

"People are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes" the law states within 14 days so think 60 days is not being unrealistic and even then they are not refunding by that timescale.

I think people like yourself have been more than patient, even in the current situation 60 days should be ample enough time to reimburse those owed.

I note they are quick enough to contact when requesting payment for booked cruises or deferring to a future cruise credit, if they can take payment they can reimburse in my opinion.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Take care

HLM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Many people who have booked with P&O have had their refunds this last week or so as they approached 60 days since they cancelled so some are getting refunds but have to admit Cunard have been absolutely awful. They have ignored e-mails and PMs even after Simon Palethorpe (President Cunard) announced that everybody will get a refund by 60 days. 

I am still waiting for P&O refunds dating back to 2nd week of March cancellations. One cruise was cancelled by P&O then uncanceled, then cancelled again. The other was cancelled due to the over 70 age FCO ban which went through the P&O web form but now I find it might not as I received a final payment demand from the TA even though last week I received an apology from P&O for them taking so long sending refunds. TA now says I will be getting FCC when I have requested full refund. Basically the systems of the TA and P&O have been so stretched that you just need to hold your breath and wait. But interesting to see what I do get!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HLM said:

I see exactly what you're saying Towny, but nether the less Bolsover are the agent who took the booking and they are responsible for the contract which was agreed.

If Carnival are not paying out satisfactorily then pursuing Bolsover is what I'd be doing as the buck stops with them as the booking agent.

HLM.

I think that is incorrect HLM, your contract is with the cruise line, Bolsover are only agents.  You could make s75 request to your credit card provider, or make a small claims court order against P&O, or as a last resort seek redress against your travel insurance. But I dont think Bolsover would be responsible in any way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I think that is incorrect HLM, your contract is with the cruise line, Bolsover are only agents.  You could make s75 request to your credit card provider, or make a small claims court order against P&O, or as a last resort seek redress against your travel insurance. But I dont think Bolsover would be responsible in any way.

That is what I will be doing on Friday which will be 60th day after cancellation I will be contacting my credit card company and seeing if I have a case for instigating section 75.

Edited by sinbad10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HLM said:

I see exactly what you're saying Towny, but nether the less Bolsover are the agent who took the booking and they are responsible for the contract which was agreed.

If Carnival are not paying out satisfactorily then pursuing Bolsover is what I'd be doing as the buck stops with them as the booking agent.

HLM.

Booked through Bolsover but when paid final balance the credit card payment went straight through to Cunard which it states on my credit card statement so section 75 should be against Cunard but I am sure credit card company will advise me and dont care who the section 75 goes to as long as I get my money. Either way if any of us owed Cunard or Bolsover money if we didnt pay balance by on time they would be chasing us for the money and wouldnt wait 60 days for payment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, towny44 said:

I think that is incorrect HLM, your contract is with the cruise line, Bolsover are only agents.  You could make s75 request to your credit card provider, or make a small claims court order against P&O, or as a last resort seek redress against your travel insurance. But I dont think Bolsover would be responsible in any way.

It may well be incorrect Towny but as I said earlier I'm not sure of all the legalities.

I just think that if Bolsover took the payment then they have some responsibility, however if as it sounds that all Bolsover do is liaise with the cruiseline and take a commission then I'd be inclined in the future to book direct.

HLM.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HLM said:

It may well be incorrect Towny but as I said earlier I'm not sure of all the legalities.

I just think that if Bolsover took the payment then they have some responsibility, however if as it sounds that all Bolsover do is liaise with the cruiseline and take a commission then I'd be inclined in the future to book direct.

HLM.

 

Isnt that what all TAs do but they are there for advice if you have a general problem to help in  normal times. The one main advantage of booking through a TA you usually get a discount of up to 5% compared to booking direct with cruise line which can be a good amount.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Isnt that what all TAs do but they are there for advice if you have a general problem to help in  normal times. The one main advantage of booking through a TA you usually get a discount of up to 5% compared to booking direct with cruise line which can be a good amount.

My understanding obviously differs from yours.

I pay a travel agent to arrange an sort my preferences regardless of the current times, consumer advice appears to agree that the contract agreement is with the seller.

5% is all well and good but not if all they do in crisis is defer you back to the cruiseline.

HLM.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HLM said:

My understanding obviously differs from yours.

I pay a travel agent to arrange an sort my preferences regardless of the current times, consumer advice appears to agree that the contract agreement is with the seller.

5% is all well and good but not if all they do in crisis is defer you back to the cruiseline.

HLM.

 

 

HLM, from everything I have read the Carnival lines have taken full control of the refund process and done nothing to keep the TAs in the loop.  In that situation there is little a TA can do, and in fact those people who have been e-mailing the cruise lines direct asking where their refund is, seem to have fared the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, towny44 said:

HLM, from everything I have read the Carnival lines have taken full control of the refund process and done nothing to keep the TAs in the loop.  In that situation there is little a TA can do, and in fact those people who have been e-mailing the cruise lines direct asking where their refund is, seem to have fared the best.

They have taken full control of all refunds because a lot of the high street TAs are closed and have been since beginning of lockdown. Both Cunard and P&O did say that they will pay all refunds at the very start it is just the long time and their attitude to their customers that is causing the problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, TrentAnn said:

Where in my previous post did I imply  ‘people are so unrealistic expecting refunds within timeframes’, I was merely replying to sinbad10 regarding my own situation. 

 

Where did I say I was talking about you? It was a general point saying that people whether cruising or on other holidays will have to accept the delays will be long. If a delay means the company  I`ve booked with gets through the crisis without going under I personally am happy to wait to protect jobs if I am assured a refund is on it`s way .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult times I know, We have been very lackey and got our money back.

from what I understand Carnival want to transfer your refund to another cruise maybe next year! 

Im still getting lots of emails about booking a cruise next year, perhaps they want to fill there coffers, befor paying out, which is why they are at anchor in Weymouth bay, so not paying docking fees.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...