P&O Loyalty points disgrace

As a regular cruiser with P&O I was appalled by a recent experience with them.

My wife and I were due to fly from the UK and join the Azura on a Caribbean cruise on 25th January 2020.  Unfortunately my wife was taken seriously ill and hospitalised  on 20th  and we had to cancel the Cruise.  We knew and totally accept that we would not receive any refund from P&O and would have to claim on our Insurance policy.  I subsequently contacted P&O and requested that as I had paid them over £4,600 to them for the cruise that we would be credited with the relevant loyalty points.  P&O refused stating as we hadn't actually spent the nights on board they couldn't credit us with the loyalty points.  Unfortunately we are already committed to travelling with P&O on a cruise later this year if my wife recovers well however this will be the last time we will travel with P&O.  Shocking customer service

I cannot agree with the OP on this. Points are given for nights onboard regardless of anything else and clearly there were no nights spent onboard.

I had a similar experience in 2016 when we had to cancel a cruise with Celebrity, as my wife had been disgnosed with a serious illness. No points were given, and I did not expect any has we had not spent any nights onboard.

A bit unfair to blame P&O as all cruise lines do the same I believe.

RayO

Whilst I can understand the OP's disappointment, I too feel that P&O are not in the wrong.  Hopefully the OP had an insurance policy and will receive most of the £4,600 back from that.  I am sure P&O are no different to any other cruise line or indeed Hotel chain on land.

Best wishes for a swift and full recovery to Mr Stewart's wife.

T&C quite clearly states nights on-board. Try cruising for over 500 nights but only having 3600 points because they removed loads. They won't count cruise nights taken in my maiden name unless I can produce the invoices for the cruises( although Princess count them). There is no point bothering about it and refusing to travel with a company again.