Amsterdam Tourist tax?

Looks like another port has decided that Cruisers are a Tax Cash Cow.

It May Backfire as two cruise lines MSC and CMV have decided to drop Amsterdam  from their current cruises as they gave short notice ?

Cruise lines are pricing cruises up 2 years in advance so Tax Changes have an impact on their profits.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/how-new-tourist-taxes-are-targeting-cruise-passengers/.....Davybe

I'm afraid I can't get very excited about this.  This type of tax is already charged to hotel rooms for overnight visitors - and they spend a lot more than cruise passengers do.  Of course, cruise lines never increase a charge after they have published an itinerary do they (for instance raise the gratuity charge......).

Even if their profit margins are so narrow (which I doubt), the lines could write a nice, apologetic letter to pax already booked explaining that a new tax has been introduced in Amsterdam and that they will therefore need to pass it on to the pax.  How many people are going to be seriously worried about €8 - the cost of a couple of beers in Amsterdam if you are lucky!

The cynic in me says that the cruise lines will get a better deal on Port Fees in Rotterdam and make money selling excursions to Amsterdam...

Edited by afcandrew
addition
On 1/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, jinky said:

They`re looking to do it in Bath, Edinburgh and even Aberdeen now if they get a change in the law!

I can understand Bath & Edinburgh as they are two very popular tourist cities but Aberdeen?😲  They are obviously wanting to get everything they can out of the Oil Industry before the oil runs out 😁

• 1 month later...

Friends of ours booked a short cruise with P&O to Amsterdam for later this month. This included an overnight stay in port, and they were informed, just after paying the final amount, that the ship would no longer dock in Amsterdam but in Ijmuiden - a 40 minute shuttle bus ride away.  P&O would only state "operational reasons" for the change, which is pretty deceitful as they just seem intent on avoiding paying the new tax in Amsterdam.

On a longer cruise with just a day stop in Amsterdam, the change would probably be less of an issue, but an overnight stop there allows passengers to walk back and forth between ship and city, which is evidently not an option when the ship is 40 minutes away by shuttle.  Significant changes such as this should only be made well in advance and not last minute and, moreover, those who have booked prior to the change should be either offered a partial refund or a no penalty cancellation.  P&O is going down rapidly in my estimation and we will be looking elsewhere for our future cruises.

As someone else mentioned, the amount of tax is not large per passenger and many would be prepared to pay this for having the convenience of berthing at Amsterdam.

Edited by Steve54
Added comment
14 hours ago, Steve54 said:

Friends of ours booked a short cruise with P&O to Amsterdam for later this month. This included an overnight stay in port, and they were informed, just after paying the final amount, that the ship would no longer dock in Amsterdam but in Ijmuiden - a 40 minute shuttle bus ride away.  P&O would only state "operational reasons" for the change, which is pretty deceitful as they just seem intent on avoiding paying the new tax in Amsterdam.

On a longer cruise with just a day stop in Amsterdam, the change would probably be less of an issue, but an overnight stop there allows passengers to walk back and forth between ship and city, which is evidently not an option when the ship is 40 minutes away by shuttle.  Significant changes such as this should only be made well in advance and not last minute and, moreover, those who have booked prior to the change should be either offered a partial refund or a no penalty cancellation.  P&O is going down rapidly in my estimation and we will be looking elsewhere for our future cruises.

As someone else mentioned, the amount of tax is not large per passenger and many would be prepared to pay this for having the convenience of berthing at Amsterdam.

The subject is being discussed on other forums, and P&O are not the only cruise line to boycott the port?

Unless enough passengers complain loudly P&O will continue with their bad attitude towards passengers...Davybe

We were in Amsterdam overnight in January this year, the Tax hadstarted then,  we had no problem we were docked next to Queen Elizabeth (ship ) so two cruise ships, but the Elizabeth sails around midnight. From what we were told the port authorities wanted to regulate how many visitors went into the city, so it could be the port  authority that had made the cruise ship dock away from the city, which means the cruise lines have no choice 

just my deduction of cause

20 hours ago, Jenjen said:

We were in Amsterdam overnight in January this year, the Tax hadstarted then,  we had no problem we were docked next to Queen Elizabeth (ship ) so two cruise ships, but the Elizabeth sails around midnight. From what we were told the port authorities wanted to regulate how many visitors went into the city, so it could be the port  authority that had made the cruise ship dock away from the city, which means the cruise lines have no choice 

just my deduction of cause

I am on this cruise and that doesn't seem to be the case as there is only one other cruise ship docked in Amsterdam - Viking Sky, with 900 pax!  Sadly, this looks like another poor decision by P&O shore-side.  Ijmuiden is a dump and I have severe doubts about how P&O are going to get 2500+ pax between ship and Amsterdam efficiently.  The port website shows us as due in at 1600 - which was the arrival time in Amsterdam but even if we arrive at 1400, by the time the formalities have been completed and shuttles start, they will likely be arriving on the outskirts of Amsterdam in time for rush-hour.

I just wish P&O would think out-of-the box.  They could have written to pax explaining the situation, saying that they would have to charge everyone the €16 for the two-day stay but by way of compensation would credit on-board accounts with £15 - which of course costs them far less than £15!

It is the fact that it is an overnight stay and the sole port of call that makes their decision so annoying and what has angered many of the pax.  Thankfully I am going with a group of friends from another forum so we will have a good time regardless of this inconsiderate change.