I would just like to say that I’m not particularly sorry to see her go. It is a common misconception that she was brought in to replace Canberra but in actual fact, she sailed alongside Canberra for about 2 years until Canberra was scrapped in Pakistan in 1997. The ship that replaced Canberra was the previous Arcadia, a much happier ship all round than Oriana ever was. She is sailing now as Columbus for Cruise and Maritime.

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Oriana would replace Canberra it was only a matter of 'when' .. after all it was the first ship built in a long time specifically for the UK market, the old Arcadia I believe came from Princess although I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. 

I have always loved Oriana and had some wonderful cruises on her but I guess we all have our favourites, I really dislike the current Arcadia and wouldn't go on it if it was free .. lots would disagree with me but we are all different and like different ships for different reasons. 

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Our first cruise was on the Oriana and as soon as she set sail it sounded like we had a family of chipmunks in the ceiling of our cabin. Our neighbors got the handyman out and was told there was nothing he could do. That plus the engines failing twice, the first was an eight hour delay in setting sail and the second was suddenly finding ourselves adrift in a fjord with just the emergency lighting. It’s way past time to let the Oriana go. 

15 hours ago, Jenjen said:

yes lots  of buckets in the corridors catching drips of water rattles in the dinning rooms  

Sorry jenjen not getting at you, but what does the advert say "This is the life". 😂😂

The last time I sailed on Oriana I was so appalled by the vibration, food quality and queuing for everything that I vowed never to sail on the ship again.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Sorry jenjen not getting at you, but what does the advert say "This is the life". 😂😂

The last time I sailed on Oriana I was so appalled by the vibration, food quality and queuing for everything that I vowed never to sail on the ship again.

Yes I know But we did have some nice Cruises on her and nostalgia is a wonderful thing, you get a glow from you memories and forget the things you had a gripe with.however I do understand what you are saying

1 hour ago, Jenjen said:

Yes I know But we did have some nice Cruises on her and nostalgia is a wonderful thing, you get a glow from you memories and forget the things you had a gripe with.however I do understand what you are saying

Perhaps minor gripes but not serious when you never had clean water in your cabin to wash and shower for the whole duration of the cruise when P&O didnt do anything after repeated complaints throughout the cruise. Also when you are about to complain that they have forgotten to put the lamb on your dinner and you find a piece the size of a 50p under a boiled potato and you ask for more and the waiter says he cannot without getting permission from the Restaurant Manger I said forget it. Vowed I would never set foot on Oriana again and have kept to my word.

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

Perhaps minor gripes but not serious when you never had clean water in your cabin to wash and shower for the whole duration of the cruise when P&O didnt do anything after repeated complaints throughout the cruise. Also when you are about to complain that they have forgotten to put the lamb on your dinner and you find a piece the size of a 50p under a boiled potato and you ask for more and the waiter says he cannot without getting permission from the Restaurant Manger I said forget it. Vowed I would never set foot on Oriana again and have kept to my word.

I can honestly say we have never had a bad cruise on Oriana and we must have been on it 14/15 times .. granted we have not sailed with P&O for the last seven years so I do appreciate things can change but this is 'one lady' we will always have very fond memories of.

24 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I feel that should you sail currently you may find things have changed a tad!!

I'm sure you are right OWT .. P&O have changed a lot since we first sailed with them hence the reason we took the decision they were no longer for us but we have still had some wonderful cruises with them, it never ceases to amaze me how people moan about them and yet still go back for more .. if you don't like what is on offer then speak with your feet. 

1 hour ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I can honestly say we have never had a bad cruise on Oriana and we must have been on it 14/15 times .. granted we have not sailed with P&O for the last seven years so I do appreciate things can change but this is 'one lady' we will always have very fond memories of.

You have answered your own question its these last few years where she has shown her age with repeated plumbing problems throughout the ship as well as general reliability problems and is well past her sell by date.

5 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

We were on her in August and must say he cruise was just as good, if not better, than when we first went on her 8 years ago. She has a personality of her own which is like Marmite but we have always enjoyed her. The quality of food, like all ships, is dependent on who the Executive chef is. I could name one P&O chef from whom we have never had a good meal including a 30 cruise!

Bearing  in mind how many people sail on her each year there are bound to be a few who have bad experiences but that is life.  There are many more who love her.

18 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

You have answered your own question its these last few years where she has shown her age with repeated plumbing problems throughout the ship as well as general reliability problems and is well past her sell by date.

In fairness sinbad10 the vibration has been there since new even to the point where at one time P&O were going to refuse delivery of the ship.