Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Fake reviews ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6197373/One-three-TripAdvisor-reviews-fake-claims-Fakespot-website.html

This company recon 33% of reviews on Trip Advisor maybe fake?

I have two friends in the hospitality business who have had had fake reviews written. about their businesses ,both have been asked for discounts from people ,with the threat of a bad review if they did not get some sort of discount.One even got a bad review from a man when the hotel was shut,Trip or Tripe Advisor seem to do very little to vet these reviews.

Do you use these type of sites or like me prefer reading reviews on agents sites such as this one, or even forum recommendations ,a bit more trust worthy IMO....Davybe

the saying goes if you havent got anything good to say say nowt.

i usually stick to that, i do most of my shopping online as i struggle to walk any distance so consequently i get bombarded with the sites i use asking for reveiws. unless i am particularly impressed with something or extremely disapointed with something i ignore them. also if something disapoints i always contact them first to see if it cant be rectified. i wouldnt give a bad reveiw before contacting the company first and give them chance to put it right.

i dont use the reveiws to decide what to buy or where to go either as the bad ones are usually grossly exagerated . i used to go to las vegas a lot and if you read some of the hotel reveiws you wouldnt set foot in half of them.over the years ive probably stayed in all of them and none are bad thats for sure.

54 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

Not all reviews are fake, I did one for a Saga holiday we had been on, they contacted me and now it is used in the new brochure. 

Quite agree sometimes it is quite easy to spot the fake or grudge ones.

One well known cruise review web site has some paid for reviews which pop up after a cruise line has a series of bad or critical reviews,But you need to know the cruises lines or ships they write about .Some Hotels pay for good reviews to get a good rating....Davybe

I know a hotel owner in Torquay had a lot of poor reviews on Tripadvisor and he complained to Tripadvisor because it did a lot of damage to business at the hotel. The investigation found out the fake reviews was a former member of staff who had been sacked and I do know the police did get involved.

thats the problem with some of these reveiw sites anyone can go on and put up a reveiw even if theyve not been there or used the products. and it can be very damaging.

also i do feel that some people have outrageous expectations at times. you read some of the cruise reveiws and you wonder if theyve been on the same ship as youve been on.

i wrote a reveiw about the cruise on arcadia last year and checking back later i found several people wrote scathing reveiws about the same cruise that bore no relation to anything i saw on that cruise.

I sometimes post reviews on Trip Advisor usually if the product has been good so that other people can get better recommendations to try flights, food or experiences, I agree that some people post when you can clearly tell they have never even set foot inside the premises but this is own to the reviews site to remove these people from their records.

Some of the restaurant responses to dodgy reviews though are priceless

Hi Daveybe,

I often refer to Trip Advisor for information and have posted several reviews. I've even booked accommodation through the site, which worked well.  I'm happy to accept that one must make a judgement as to the benefit of other people's reviews and find the site useful, though a bit of a pain in it's constant badgering for further reviews, 

DavidH

I write reviews - good and bad when I have the time and inclination and use Trip Advisor (especially local forum groups) for advice on restaurants etc whilst on trips. I go with the majority feeling and discount the ones at odds with the norm and look especially at the most recent ones over the last 6 months. You can often tell the vindictive ones , those that expect too much and those that just had a bad experience - amazing how often I discount the American views on European reviews especially. Rarely lets me down and I have had some great food experiences on the back of local reviews. recently whilst in Vancouver I was able to eat at the 101 Bistro - a restaurant within a culinary training school that I`d never have found without picking it up on a local forum. It was fine dining at half the rate charged for such food elsewhere. The same trip - tired of really expensive restaurants - I steered us to a pasta restaurant where it looked like a cafe / takeaway but the food was superb and cost less than it did at home for superior fare. Again 2 blocks from our hotel and would have been left unfound without that same forum.

I have started using Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews (and find it quite useful in judging where to go) but i always read what is written with a pinch of salt. Some bad ones are quite laughable but then there are some that are completely over the top. I think like with everything - just make up your own mind and ignore the very good reviews as well as the very bad. The often generic replies from the establishment concerned generally do not sit well with me.

18 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I usually write and honest opinion on Trip Advisor and read other comments as well. Never been paid for them and certainly never tried to bribe for discounts etc.

I write honest ones too. Not enough write to praise I feel focusing on complaints rather than on good service. I was rewarded once , without asking, when we had an excellent afternoon tea that my daughter had given us as a gift in Guildford House of Fraser shot. It`s a way over the top pink and blue girlie experience in there with excellent fayre. I did a tongue in cheek review with photos which I sent direct to them for a competition they were running on the experience  that praised staff and food whilst stating it all brought me in touch with my feminine side. They replied that it had made them laugh and if I was kind enough to post it on Trip Advisor, which i`d intended to do next anyway, that they would reward me with another afternoon tea for my trouble. I promptly did so. I could not believe the previous 3/4 reviews on their which were so at variance with our own experience as to be deeply suspicious which is no doubt why they asked. It was funny to see one reviewer was there the same day as us and seemingly had such a different experience.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, mitch said:

thats the problem with some of these reveiw sites anyone can go on and put up a reveiw even if theyve not been there or used the products. and it can be very damaging.

also i do feel that some people have outrageous expectations at times. you read some of the cruise reveiws and you wonder if theyve been on the same ship as youve been on.

i wrote a reveiw about the cruise on arcadia last year and checking back later i found several people wrote scathing reveiws about the same cruise that bore no relation to anything i saw on that cruise.

All reviews are our own view of events, and unique to each individual.

Like you I have read and written reviews only to find a very opposite view from someone else.The one time I tried Trip advisor looking for a place to eat, they had not noticed the place was closed? The Malicious reviews are a problem for many businesses .My daughter had an ex employee who started posting and tell people false things about the business ,which stoped on the threat of a court case?.....Davybe

It’s not just a case of fake reviews, there is also an issue of the owners of the establishments putting replies on that are packs of lies. We had a stay at a top branded hotel in London that was packed full of unsatisfactory issues. We were disappointed as we had stayed there three times before without a problem so I put my truthful review on Tripadvisor. The manager then put a reply on that was total lies and made me look like the customer from hell. What tickled me was how he thought he get away with knowing me from a username that is nothing like my real name and also the fact that I never even spoke to him! 

Take most reviews with a pinch of salt and like to find independent personal views but even then it can be difficult because everybody has differing tastes and standards. Where one person might recommend a hotel or restaurant another might have differing views or standards so making it difficult.

One of the reasons I like the reviews on Silver Travel Advisor, all written by people over the age of 50 years so you know that what you are reading are the views of the mature traveller and often able to identify with them. Also there is no incentive to write reviews as there often is with other review sites.  https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/reviews

all the above is true but what annoys me is being bombarded by sites ive used to give reveiws about stuff ive bought. ive had to buy quite a bit of stuff either for the holiday coming up or to do with my medical issues at the moment. every site must have contacted me 2 or 3 times since ive bought stuff.

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

One of the reasons I like the reviews on Silver Travel Advisor, all written by people over the age of 50 years so you know that what you are reading are the views of the mature traveller and often able to identify with them. Also there is no incentive to write reviews as there often is with other review sites.  https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/reviews

I suppose the other reason is you have other connections with the Company?

All Sites can have fake reviews ,the over 50s tell porkies ....Davybe

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

I suppose the other reason is you have other connections with the Company?

All Sites can have fake reviews ,the over 50s tell porkies ....Davybe

I have connections with many reputable companies Davybe but happen to believe that the reviews on this particular site are pretty accurate. Yes, anyone can tell 'Porkies' but when people don't seem to go over the top in either direction but are more descriptive they are more likely to be true and believable. Just my opinion as always.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller