Is Hybrid the way to go.

We read more and more about the effects that traffic pollution.

Diesel was the savour ,is now the demon. Petrol still pollutes but to a lesser degree,All Electric cars have a short milage limit, but may be good for City dwellers.

So is a hybrid car the answer .I have at the moment got the use of a Hybrid car, whilst mine is getting repaired.The Fuel and performance figures are very good ,and the switch from Battery to Petrol or duel fuel is seamless ,with fuel consumption in the 70mpg, it varies with each journey .

Come our next car change I would seriously consider a Hybrid Car ,the one I have at the moment is a Hyundai ,a bit big for my everyday use but a lovely car.

Have got or would you consider a greener car....Davybe

With fuel consumption around 70 mpg it is something I would definitely consider, we did have a hybrid car on loan when ours was in for service a while ago but I didn't get to drive it so I don't know if performance wise they do feel different to drive, as a passenger I can't say I noticed anything different but then as long as a car gets me from A to B I'm happy.

1 hour ago, 2torts said:

How much does it cost to charge a battery & if a lot of people buy hybrids would the current power stations be able to cope?

with hybrids it depends there are 2 varieties, plug in and none plug in. the none plug ins generate their own power from the cars braking system and some other stuff i dont understand lol.

the rest have the option to charge from the mains as well as the regenerative braking system.  then of course theres the full blown electric which has no petrol/diesel engine and it has to be charged from the mains.

i have a motability car at the moment a mini 3dr but when the lease is up i think i am going to go hybrid, i quite fancy the toyota h-cr.

Diesels over the last couple of years have taken a hammering but no one has pointed out that the latest ones that meet Euro 6 and the forthcoming emission standards are very low on pollution, I believe lower than many petrol cars. My own car is diesel and yes it meets the latest and future requirements but as an example at 70mph the engine is only turning at 1500rpm thus producing far less pollutant than a smaller petrol car turning at 2,500rpm at the same speed. Electric cars are obviously the way forward but who can afford them and the running costs!! Yes, the batteries need replacing every few years and it's not the cost of a couple of AA batteries from the supermarket, you are looking at hundreds of pounds. They are far beyond the reach of most people and taking it a stage further where does the electricity come from that charges them!! Fossil fuels. Yes there are wind turbines but there will never be enough of them to power every household in the UK let alone cars. Fossil fuels are also necessary to produce the heat to mould the metal and plastics that make the turbines. Like it or not fossil fuels that pollute are here for the foreseeable future. As always, just my opinion.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

the problem has been that maufacturers have been less than honest with details of emmissions, fuel economy  etc etc. so the whole thing is totally confusing. not helped by governments and the eu changing their minds over which to promote or demote as the mood takes them. the issue with full blown electric is of course a lack of charging infrastructure and unless a govt bites the bullet and does something radical like make it compulsory for all new builds houses and commercial to have both solar panels and wind turbines and charging points.its not going to change quickly. short term i think some form of hybrid is best for most people, for those doing high mileages deisel and petrol for those who cant make their mind up lol.

5 hours ago, mitch said:

the problem has been that maufacturers have been less than honest with details of emmissions, fuel economy  etc etc. so the whole thing is totally confusing. not helped by governments and the eu changing their minds over which to promote or demote as the mood takes them. the issue with full blown electric is of course a lack of charging infrastructure and unless a govt bites the bullet and does something radical like make it compulsory for all new builds houses and commercial to have both solar panels and wind turbines and charging points.its not going to change quickly. short term i think some form of hybrid is best for most people, for those doing high mileages deisel and petrol for those who cant make their mind up lol.

Good points Mitch but you still need fossil fuels to make the solar panels and wind turbines. Bit of a vicious circle. 

10 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Good points Mitch but you still need fossil fuels to make the solar panels and wind turbines. Bit of a vicious circle. 

oh very true owt unless they go the nuclear route but how green is that really, less co2 but thats  about it. when they turn down tidal and wind projects ever will it be so. also all those objecting on scenic grounds etc really annoy me many of them claiming to be "greenies" but as soon as something spoils their view theyre up in arms. ther have been several wind and solar farm projects around here that have been stopped basically as they spoil some view of the countryside in some way. the govt not just here need to wake up and start bulldozing stuff through litterally in some cases.

17 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Diesels over the last couple of years have taken a hammering but no one has pointed out that the latest ones that meet Euro 6 and the forthcoming emission standards are very low on pollution, I believe lower than many petrol cars. My own car is diesel and yes it meets the latest and future requirements but as an example at 70mph the engine is only turning at 1500rpm thus producing far less pollutant than a smaller petrol car turning at 2,500rpm at the same speed. Electric cars are obviously the way forward but who can afford them and the running costs!! Yes, the batteries need replacing every few years and it's not the cost of a couple of AA batteries from the supermarket, you are looking at hundreds of pounds. They are far beyond the reach of most people and taking it a stage further where does the electricity come from that charges them!! Fossil fuels. Yes there are wind turbines but there will never be enough of them to power every household in the UK let alone cars. Fossil fuels are also necessary to produce the heat to mould the metal and plastics that make the turbines. Like it or not fossil fuels that pollute are here for the foreseeable future. As always, just my opinion.

Hi OWT.

I believe it is the type of emissions that diesels produce ,not the amount that causes concern.

Anything that is manufactured leaves a carbon footprint .

The Car we are using does not need a charger, but recharges the battery when your on the move, you can see on the dash board which fuel it is using and when it is charging, for your average journey it uses both petrol and battery .No idea how they do it but it is very smooth, and efficient.How long will the battery last will be the big problem, and cost.But like most things they will become cheaper as time goes on.

Remember the first mobiles ,a very short battery time before you recharged them, now look at todays mobiles/? Cars I suspect will go the same way.But as you said Petrol will be around for the foreseeable future,and for me the mixed fuel car would be a good option ....Davybe

19 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi Davybe,

I understand that most of the harmful emissions have been eliminated by passing the emissions through a liquid such as 'Ad Blue'. Certainly that is what happens on mine. OWT.

From what bit I have read your right ,the newer diesel engines are a lot cleaner.

Sadly the out of touch politicians have seen a bandwagon to jump on ,and now some manufactures are stopping production of diesel engines .....Davybe

9 hours ago, DavidH said:

I would need to be convinced that a hybrid or electric vehicle would prove as effective as a tow car as my current twin turbo 3 litre diesel before I would consider changing.

DavidH

Diesel has over the years proved the most efficient at moving heavy loads over long distances ,they will eventually find something that will replace a Diesel engine .

My daughter runs a Diesel which is both quick and efficient ,she cover a lot of miles per year which would cost her more to do if she used a petrol car,No doubt we will see diesel taxed of the road.....Davybe

7 hours ago, Davybe said:

Diesel has over the years proved the most efficient at moving heavy loads over long distances ,they will eventually find something that will replace a Diesel engine .

My daughter runs a Diesel which is both quick and efficient ,she cover a lot of miles per year which would cost her more to do if she used a petrol car,No doubt we will see diesel taxed of the road.....Davybe

Which proves that politicians who have control of taxes havent got a clue just like to jump on any populist bandwagon let's just hope the bandwagon isnt diesel.