2020 Itineraries

Well, the itineraries have now been released and many are along the lines I thought they were going to be.

Iona, Britannia, Azura & Ventura all repeating identical cruises by ship across the season - mainly only two or maximum three itineraries for each ship.  Oceana similar but fly-cruise.

Aurora & Arcadia, as the adult-only ships have much more varied itineraries, with quite a few longer cruises (16-19 nights & more).

This is a departure for P&O and personally I think it is a bit of a gamble but would welcome thoughts from all you cruisers out there.

2 hours ago, 2torts said:

We've just pre registered an 18 nighter on Aurora for June 2020. Aurora looks fairly similar to Oriana on the deck plans to me so I hope it will become our favourite ship after Oriana has sailed away from P & O.

Oriana has long been my favourite and I will very much miss her.  Aurora is however very similar but for me a couple of things are not quite so good - there isn't a nice big bar at the top of the atrium like Tiffanys - Charlies & Raffles on Aurora are by the atrium but smaller.  Also, I like the Lords Tavern on Oriana but really don't like Champions, the sports bar on Aurora.  I would still very happily sail aboard Aurora though!

ive found i enjoy these longer cruises and quite like the sea days, at the moment i struggle with mobility so i am very restricted as to what i could do on shore excursions anyway so sea days arent the loss to me they may be to others. i went on arcadia for 28 days last october and i am off on the 20th oct for 28 again. ive already booked for oct 2019 and will be looking again for 2020. some of the med longer cruise look quite good so maybe i will change my holiday times.

3 hours ago, sammy sun said:

I was quite surprised to see Iona just doing back-to-back Fjords itineraries. I expected the usual mix of Med/Fjords/Baltic/short cruise options so it's interesting to see them go down the route of one sole focus for a new ship. Maybe we'll see the same again for the next new arrival.

Think they have no choice because of none or very little LNG capacity so P&Os hands are tied and they have had no choice but to do what they are doing as nowhere else to go.

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Think they have no choice because of none or very little LNG capacity so P&Os hands are tied and they have had no choice but to do what they are doing as nowhere else to go.

I am not sure that's correct Sinbad, Aidanova will sale 7 night W Med cruises next summer between Barcelona and Rome, that is after a winter season in the Canaries using 2 ports for passenger embarkation and disembarkation, and she is a sister ship to Iona also using LNG.  So I guess that's at least 4 ports with LNG loading facilities in warmer cruising areas that P&O could have used if they wanted, which seems to indicate that this is how they see their cruise itineraries developing in the future.

According to a November 2017 Press Release from AIDA/Carnival, LNG is apparently already available in Barcelona, Marseilles & Civitavecchia (and would be available within weeks in Southampton amongst other ports).  What we don't know however is how much is/will be available.  It is supplied by truck at the moment and is of course still a relatively new fuel.  Up to now, it has been supplied to run AIDAPerla to run her operations only whilst in port.

14 hours ago, towny44 said:

I am not sure that's correct Sinbad, Aidanova will sale 7 night W Med cruises next summer between Barcelona and Rome, that is after a winter season in the Canaries using 2 ports for passenger embarkation and disembarkation, and she is a sister ship to Iona also using LNG.  So I guess that's at least 4 ports with LNG loading facilities in warmer cruising areas that P&O could have used if they wanted, which seems to indicate that this is how they see their cruise itineraries developing in the future.

Yes but isnt the difference that Aida will already be based in the Med so easy to get to those ports within a 7 day cruise. Iona will be based in Southampton and is a long way to travel to get to ports in the Med and having Barcelona as her possible first port of call to refuel with LNG and perhaps hasnt the LNG capacity on the ship to travel that far without refuelling. It is a long way from Southampton to Barcelona so until Gib or perhaps ports on Atlantic coast update to LNG refuelling systems which no doubt is not planned before 2020 so Norway is the only place to go.