Was BoJo Right

As we have seen Boris in the news again with his comments about the Burka.

People only to keen to chastise him ,and call him Islamaphobic ,racist ect, often depending on their political out look.

So has he the right to say what he said, call it a bad joke if you wish, or was he speaking what people really think about this head dress? Poles suggest 60% of the population agree with him .

Have you an opinion....Davybe

Edited by Davybe
auto correction

My Grandson was watching some ladies in Burkas taking pictures of one another, being 9 and curious he walked up to one and asked,"Do you smile when you have your picture taken"

The Lady started to laugh ,and said "It shows in our eyes when we smile"

Which makes me wonder are people getting offended on others behalve........Davybe

I believe that political correctness has gone way too far and too many people now seem to want to jump on any politician or celebrity who has said something that, in their narrow minded view, might cause offence. If this is allowed to continue then we are in danger of stifling free speech altogether, and I certainly do not want to live in such a puritanical society.

As for what Boris said, I think you would need to be very thin skinned and far too sensitive for his comments to do more than raise a wry smile.

It is a case again of not being able to say anything about anyone. Boris has his own views which he has voiced, others may think the same but either keep it to themselves or only say it to friends in the confines of their own homes. Donald Trump seems to be able to get away with it!!!

Lets be all honest and put it in perspective it seems OK for some but not for others, I don't see that someone standing in the street with a megaphone forcing their beliefs on the passers by seems to be stopped.

End of the day we have a right to free speech in the UK but having said that you have to be responsible in what you say and how you say it as it can cause offence and some things said can be classed as a criminal offence. With reference to Boris Trump he is a total baffoon  and repeatedly says stupid things and god help us if he ever became PM I am sure there are better persons good enough in the Tory Party to become leader when Theresa Maynot finally gets given the push.

again a politician attempting humour.

although i think they look more like daleks than post boxes.

the trouble is the pc brigade get all up in arms about it and its more than the storm in a tea cup it ought to be.

i am more concerned about the labour party and corbyns anti semitism than some stupid off the cuff remarks by johnson. in his case its almost to be expected.

i am not a fan of face coverings wether its burkas or scarves and hoodies used by demonstrators so long as the police etc have the powers to ask for them to be removed for identification purposes etc then i wont lose any sleep over it. i would say its a free country and its up to the individual but i am afraid for some of these women its not through free choice.

I'm far from being a Boris fan and most times he's an absolute buffoon, however what he said is neither racist or Islamaphobic, in fact he probably said what a lot of others think.

Had he made remarks for example about a Scotsmen wearing kilts etc we'd of all laughed it off, as would the Scots, it's called a sense of humour, because it's Muslim related it puts people on the edge for fear of being labelled a racist, if the truth is known a lot of Muslims probably had a laugh at his remarks as well.

As has already been said we have free speech in this Country so let Boris have his say, we may not always agree with him and we can ignore if we please.

HLM.

PS; Given the chance a lot of women wouldn't wear them at all, but they have no choice, which is more worrying than a few off the cuff comments made by Boris.

Boris was voicing populist views as ever to ingratiate himself further with those misguided enough to see him as a serious politician. Whether racist or Islamophobic will depend on your opinion but what makes this utterance unacceptable is that he was speaking as an ex- Foreign Secretary and and M. Surely the buffoon should think before he speaks!!! Cannot stand the man who did so much damage on the Brexit vote with his lies and self serving stance.

15 minutes ago, jinky said:

Whether racist or Islamophobic will depend on your opinion

But it's not, it's based on fact.

He can't and shouldn't be branded a racist or Islamaphobic because he mocked the clothes someone else wears, if that were the case we'd all be guilty.

I'd never disagree that a man in his position should be mindful of what he says, however we all know from previous remarks what he's like and I don't think he'll stop making them.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

But it's not, it's based on fact.

He can't and shouldn't be branded a racist or Islamaphobic because he mocked the clothes someone else wears, if that were the case we'd all be guilty.

I'd never disagree that a man in his position should be mindful of what he says, however we all know from previous remarks what he's like and I don't think he'll stop making them.

HLM.

Based on fact? 🙂 He said they "look like letterboxes" - they don`t . I`ve never seen a pair of eyes on show in a letter box.

He said they "resemble a bank robber". Whilst I am aware of a small number of very well publicised such robberies using niqab disguises I believe the much more common garb is all in black with a balaclava or stocking or such. The striped shirt and mask has fallen out of fashion due to cartoon depictions I believe.

He said they "Look ridiculous" which again may be his or your perception but as a clothing choice it is perhaps up to the individual. I`ve personally no idea if those wearing them do so from personal choice or obligation but many seem quick to assume. The one or two people who wear them I`ve come to know to ask both said it was personal choice so I am wary of assuming it is male bullying.

Yes we can all mock what others wear and probably do. I`ve never done so in a working situation in a position of authority and if I was a leading politician certainly would not do so in the press! I`ve never mocked how someone has dressed i their hearing either - other than joking with good friends where such banter is allowed and even encouraged.

A moment of contemplation here... when watching the buffoon that is Boris on Have I Got News For You all those years ago I never thought I would see myself referring to him as " a leading politician". This world has gone seriously downhill!!!

Edited by jinky

As Rowen Atkinson said "Anyone making a joke about any religion is going to offend someone" What Boris said was not new heard a similar comment about the Burka years ago, sort of remark made between mates having a pint.

In fairness to Boris he defended their right to wear whatever they wanted ,but he has the right to make jokes or comments.(At The moment) 

I did see a pair of eyes looking at me through a letter box Jinky, it was a dog trying to bite my hand??🤣 and some kids trying to do the same thing?

As for being a leader Never IMO he has a following god knows why ,he must be the biggest laughing stock in politics' legend in his own mind.....Davybe

4 hours ago, jinky said:

Boris was voicing populist views as ever to ingratiate himself further with those misguided enough to see him as a serious politician. Whether racist or Islamophobic will depend on your opinion but what makes this utterance unacceptable is that he was speaking as an ex- Foreign Secretary and and M. Surely the buffoon should think before he speaks!!! Cannot stand the man who did so much damage on the Brexit vote with his lies and self serving stance.

What is more worrying IMO is he also intent at any cost of what he says or does be Prime Minister and I shudder at what the rest of the world would think of the UK and what he might say next. Boris is only interested in one thing and that is Boris and he doesnt care what he says or what damage what he says does to the UK.

3 hours ago, jinky said:

Based on fact? 🙂 He said they "look like letterboxes" - they don`t . I`ve never seen a pair of eyes on show in a letter box.

He said they "resemble a bank robber". Whilst I am aware of a small number of very well publicised such robberies using niqab disguises I believe the much more common garb is all in black with a balaclava or stocking or such. The striped shirt and mask has fallen out of fashion due to cartoon depictions I believe.

He said they "Look ridiculous" which again may be his or your perception but as a clothing choice it is perhaps up to the individual. I`ve personally no idea if those wearing them do so from personal choice or obligation but many seem quick to assume. The one or two people who wear them I`ve come to know to ask both said it was personal choice so I am wary of assuming it is male bullying.

Yes we can all mock what others wear and probably do. I`ve never done so in a working situation in a position of authority and if I was a leading politician certainly would not do so in the press! I`ve never mocked how someone has dressed i their hearing either - other than joking with good friends where such banter is allowed and even encouraged.

A moment of contemplation here... when watching the buffoon that is Boris on Have I Got News For You all those years ago I never thought I would see myself referring to him as " a leading politician". This world has gone seriously downhill!!!

I certainly don't condone his comments they are idiotic for a man in his position.

I will however defend him against his political rivals who are branding him a racist just to score political points, they are not racist comments.

HLM.

yet again its the pc brigade putting their spin on something that someone intends in a totally different way thats obvious to anyone with a brain cell.

boris being boris trying to look clever and gain support for his ambitions.

as for banning them, i am always wary of banning anything that isnt dangerous or will incite violence. likewise i will defend anyones right to say pretty much what they want, again so long as they are not inciting violence or telling outright malicious lies. i do think some people are far too sensitive.

I rather like Boris and will defend to the end his right to his opinion - why are we all so 'scared' of people stepping outside the box and not kowtowing to PC views.   I think it is really offensive to call him a buffoon.   He obviously relishes the persona he has created, but he is nobody's fool.  I'd also love to know what is wrong with 'populist views'.   I do not belong to the 'elite' so therefore consider myself to be part of the populace.   Nor do I see myself as being misguided.   Just my opinion for what it's worth.   

12 hours ago, Mayway said:

I rather like Boris and will defend to the end his right to his opinion - why are we all so 'scared' of people stepping outside the box and not kowtowing to PC views.   I think it is really offensive to call him a buffoon.   He obviously relishes the persona he has created, but he is nobody's fool.  I'd also love to know what is wrong with 'populist views'.   I do not belong to the 'elite' so therefore consider myself to be part of the populace.   Nor do I see myself as being misguided.   Just my opinion for what it's worth.   

In Fairness Mayday the "Buffoon" image is one he has cultivated?

One of my old bosses use to tell me" look how they walk" you can tell a lot about a person from how the walk(Present themselves) Boris is a skulker .always looking to see who is watching ,he will mess his hair up before being interviewed, or seen in public.

I would not put any trust in the man proven liar ....Davybe

I put an element of trust in Theresa May and look where that's got me.   The woman is worse than a buffoon.    I did say in my post that 'he relishes the persona he has created'.   The majority of the Tory party are finished as far as I am concerned - they are as Liberal as any Blair Labour politician, and certainly worse than the few LibDems we have left.   The 'comfortable' people of this country have sat back while the elite have taken hold - I believe the power of the 'elite' is even greater now than it was before WW2 - and boy, is that saying something.  

6 hours ago, Mayway said:

I put an element of trust in Theresa May and look where that's got me.   The woman is worse than a buffoon.    I did say in my post that 'he relishes the persona he has created'.   The majority of the Tory party are finished as far as I am concerned - they are as Liberal as any Blair Labour politician, and certainly worse than the few LibDems we have left.   The 'comfortable' people of this country have sat back while the elite have taken hold - I believe the power of the 'elite' is even greater now than it was before WW2 - and boy, is that saying something.  

Lets be honest even though I am no great lover of Theresa May she was certainly given a poisoned chalice by David Cameron landing this country in a right mess and then doing a runner. Brexit was never going to be easy as Boris Trump, Govo and Farage had us believe and being leader and PM of a party that has been split for over 40yrs and never going to agree the terms of Brexit and equally Labour are in a similar position. Too many are not thinking what is best for the country but just what is best for themselves and their own ambitions. Having a local MP of Bill Cash who has done nothing as a MP for his constituency just used the safe seat as a base for his own beliefs. The end result is democracy is dead and buried because many MPs are not listening to what their own constituents have said and are just ignoring them.

19 hours ago, Mayway said:

Mrs May does seem to have trouble seeing the difference between being "Stubborn' and being "Stupid' I do doubt her judgement ,she made mistakes as Home Secretary and now makes some bad calls as PM.

Then I look at Labour Corbyn and Abbot ,a choice of being hung or shot methinks.....Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Mrs May does seem to have trouble seeing the difference between being "Stubborn' and being "Stupid' I do doubt her judgement ,she made mistakes as Home Secretary and now makes some bad calls as PM.

Then I look at Labour Corbyn and Abbot ,a choice of being hung or shot methinks.....Davybe

I agree; they will never get my vote in a million years - but then, living in a constituency where hell would freeze over before the Tory was voted out (Alan Duncan) then I use my vote as a protest.   20 years ago, I could probably name you 20 politicians on either side of the divide with ease.   Now there are very few that stand out.   Possibly because they don't really have to do their jobs any more - Europe does it for them.   They are just 'voters' in the exact same way as we all are - a sad state of affairs for our great country.

28 minutes ago, Mayway said:

I agree; they will never get my vote in a million years - but then, living in a constituency where hell would freeze over before the Tory was voted out (Alan Duncan) then I use my vote as a protest.   20 years ago, I could probably name you 20 politicians on either side of the divide with ease.   Now there are very few that stand out.   Possibly because they don't really have to do their jobs any more - Europe does it for them.   They are just 'voters' in the exact same way as we all are - a sad state of affairs for our great country.

Many MPs in the Labour Party did that during the election of their next leader and look what happened they ended up with Jeremy Corbyn who they now cannot get rid off.

I have always been a floating voter ,so will decide at each election which candidate ? party I votes for.

I cannot understand this blind loyalty people have to a party, no matter how rotten it is.We have friends who in protest at their parties policy's will not vote at all ,rather than vote for another party.

Perhaps we need a "Populist Party" to give us a real choice.....Davybe

Edited by Davybe
8 hours ago, Davybe said:

I have always been a floating voter ,so will decide at each election which candidate ? party I votes for.

I cannot understand this blind loyalty people have to a party, no matter how rotten it is.We have friends who in protest at their parties policy's will not vote at all ,rather than vote for another party.

Perhaps we need a "Populist Party" to give us a real choice.....Davybe

There are only 2 parties that could realistically form a Govt. in the UK with or without a junior coalition party, so if you are totally opposed to the ideology of one of these 2 it leaves you with very little choice.