Do Not Press 1?

Over the last few days we have had calls from a UK Number (a Fake one) which has an automated voice telling me that they are from BT and my Internet will switch off in 20 minutes unless I press 1 to connect to BT.

The other was press 1 as my router was in need of fixing.The Number will not dial back as it is fake.

I contacted BT (Waste of time) trying to get these calls stopped and traced, but the lady in Mumbai told me the address and phone number I gave her were not mine.

Gave up at this point,Just be careful and do not press any numbers on your phone....Davybe

I have also had this call (think it was an 01631 number). I phoned BT 15 mins later and they confirmed it was a scam. It was an automated call with the "press one" to stop internet from being disconnected. I also reported it on the "who called me" website which is useful for checking numbers. 

10 hours ago, mitch said:

another reason i did away with the landline.

i only use a mobile and that only for phone calls lol.

and i use a dongle to connect to internet with the laptop. phone doesnt connect to internet.

its a quiet life lol.

You're very lucky, even though I only use our mobile sparingly I still find that I get increasing numbers of these type of calls, however since I installed Sky Talk shield on the landline I only ever get genuine calls.

17 hours ago, Gill57 said:

I have also had this call (think it was an 01631 number). I phoned BT 15 mins later and they confirmed it was a scam. It was an automated call with the "press one" to stop internet from being disconnected. I also reported it on the "who called me" website which is useful for checking numbers. 

That's a similar number which called me, Last time I reported back to BT they said there was nothing they could do to stop these calls as they were from abroad ,but using what look like UK numbers.

I let numbers that we do not recognise go to answer machine, amazing how many just hang up....Davybe

We also do that Davybe & also with international calls. If I do answer I don't speak & usually can hear voices in the background (call centre) or just silence. Once when feeling a bit mischievous I answered in French & that through them completely - after a lot of Je ne comprends pas they hung up on me.  We find that when we look the number up ( if available) there are always people who have previously reported it.

Having BT call barring on my land line means unless numbers are in my phone book they have to be announced for me to accept before I answer. Certainly has cut out nuisance calls, plus I can see who is calling.

Will keep checking for any e.mails though, thanks for sharing this with the forum. 

9 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Unfortunately there must be enough people who are taken in by such calls to make it worth doing. Setting up such operations cannot be cheap. 

I doubt it is very expensive and if you press 1 then you are immediately being charged for a premium call, at probably the highest level with a high fixed element.  I imagine the scammers could nett many thousands with such a set up.

10 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Unfortunately there must be enough people who are taken in by such calls to make it worth doing. Setting up such operations cannot be cheap. 

How True.

My Nephew got caught out and scammed out of £7k ,he fell for the "You need to move your money to a safe account" scam,The Banks should have an unusual or excessive use on the account, The HSBC has it picks up any unusual dealings and puts them on hold, apparently Santander his bank does not have this system ,and he lost his money....Davybe

36 minutes ago, Davybe said:

How True.

My Nephew got caught out and scammed out of £7k ,he fell for the "You need to move your money to a safe account" scam,The Banks should have an unusual or excessive use on the account, The HSBC has it picks up any unusual dealings and puts them on hold, apparently Santander his bank does not have this system ,and he lost his money....Davybe

It only takes one or two people a month to fall for it to make it worthwhile for the criminals. The bank won't get their money back if they reimburse the customer. So the criminals still win. 

2 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

It only takes one or two people a month to fall for it to make it worthwhile for the criminals. The bank won't get their money back if they reimburse the customer. So the criminals still win. 

You would think with the amount of news about these scams people would not fall for the scam's.

But then again they think of another way to cheat us....Davybe

We have caller id so I don't answer any numbers which look 'iffy' if I do get caught out as some of the scams route it via what looks like a genuine UK number I just hang up they are not even worth the effort, I don't care if it's seen as being rude as long as I am paying for the phone line then it's up to me which calls I accept and which I don't.

10 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

We have caller id so I don't answer any numbers which look 'iffy' if I do get caught out as some of the scams route it via what looks like a genuine UK number I just hang up they are not even worth the effort, I don't care if it's seen as being rude as long as I am paying for the phone line then it's up to me which calls I accept and which I don't.

If I do answer the phone and find its a scam call, my response is not very polite and often racist....Davybe