P&O's new drink packages?

Just did a rough calculation P&O against Celebrity. Prices based for an October Cruise from Southampton .

P&O Balcony Cabin, Is Starting at £149 pp per night if you include the Drink package ,plus you get Free Parking or Coach and shuttles included.

Celebrity Balcony Cabin£171 per night includes free drink package and Wi Fi ,you pay for parking and shuttles on top.

You pays your money and makes your choice....Davybe

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is nothing wrong with getting your moneys worth but when some people have freely admitted on here in the past and seem to be proud that on Captains welcome aboard party they get there early to g

I must be cruising at the wrong time because I cannot recall seeing anyone on P&O who was obnoxiously drunk, whether they were old style cruisers or new breed ones.  Of course it might change with

Well that says a lot and I would be embarrassed to act like that never mind admit and feel proud in doing so.  

We recently had the AI Deluxe drinks package on MSC, it was good value and worked almost seamlessly, it was clearly laid out at the start what was included (nearly everything) and there was no maximum drink price as P&O are suggesting and also no limit on how many drinks you could have per day, which does seem very petty by P&O bearing in mind the suggested daily cost.

There was a code on our cruise card which told the staff which package we had purchased. Our package entitled us to champagne by the glass, but one waiter advised this was not covered on our drinks package, when we pointed out the number code she immediately apologised as she had not read it correctly, but this was the only issue during the entire cruise.

I was left with the impression that the waiters in the dining room actually liked these AI packages, as they could keep everybody 'topped up' with nobody complaining that they had not asked for another drink, we also found that many spirit drinks were supplied as doubles as they knew there was no 'on-board' charge. With P&O it's not an issue, but there is a 15% service charge added to all bills on MSC except if you have pre-purchased a drinks package, when this is not charged, so there is an immediate 15% saving.

You signed a receipt every time and the prices were all fully listed but these were then removed to leave a zero balance - it was great and our bill at the end just had the daily staff gratuities and a €4.00 purchase from the shop!

These forums are frequented by many seasoned cruisers, but P&O are looking to a newer, bigger market to fill these new big ships and the drinks package and a more relaxed cruising atmosphere with regard to evening attire is needed if they are to maximise their occupancy rates.

As always, they should not be compulsory and technology should mean many different packages can be combined onto cruise cards to keep everyone happy.

Edited by thecartoonman
Update

Some people say that the American booze packages cost more. I may agree with that but the American drinks are considerably more expensive, plus a 20% service charge. Lets see how it goes. An all inclusive drinks package should be just that, but then again 15 drinks does equal 5 bottles of wine using the large glass principle.

Sorry might upset a few but anyone that drinks 15 alcoholic drinks every day of a cruise has a problem. It is the equivalent of drinking 1/2 bottle of spirits, nearly 4 bottles of wines or 15 pints of alcohol every day of your cruise thats excessive and a damage to anyone's health.

Edited by sinbad10
On 7/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, cruise addict said:

I have read the link and do not think it would  be a good buy for us. We always buy the Costa card and I only drink wine with dinner and my husband a drink before bed. Not good value for us. Our drink bill over a two week cruise would be about £300 and as we often get at least that in on board credit we use that to pay for our drinks. Do you think OBC will now be a thing of the past?

We recently cruised with Saga, and have booked cruises for next year with Viking Ocean and Saga (new ship). Both company's prices cruise prices include wine/beer with meals, speciality coffee, Wi-Fi, speciality dining and gratuities for the little extra you pay for the cruise. We're not too worried about included excursions (Viking) but might be tempted back to P&O and Fred if they simply made cruising more 'inclusive' and did away with OBC too; it's all becoming more and more like buying flights these days. It's quite unforgivable, for example, that many cruise lines still charge high prices for wi-fi which is slow and poor quality when most hotels on land don't charge at all now.

We recently cruised with Saga, and have booked cruises for next year with Viking Ocean and Saga (new ship). Both company's prices cruise prices include wine/beer with meals, speciality coffee, Wi-Fi, speciality dining and gratuities for the little extra you pay for the cruise. We're not too worried about included excursions (Viking) but might be tempted back to P&O and Fred if they simply made cruising more 'inclusive' and did away with OBC too; it's all becoming more and more like buying flights these days. It's quite unforgivable, for example, that many cruise lines still charge high prices for wi-fi which is slow and poor quality when most hotels on land don't charge at all now.

11 minutes ago, goodwinmacc said:

The reason why it is so expensive and cannot compare with land based hotels is hotels have a system where there router is connected to either copper/fibre based wiring which is a lot cheaper than the satellite system cruise lines have to have so not a fair comparison.

35 minutes ago, goodwinmacc said:

You can no more get fibre broadband on a ship than you can get mains water in your cabin!

1 hour ago, goodwinmacc said:

Not entirely sure I would agree that Saga and Viking are only "little" extra in terms of cost - I would say they are significantly higher than P&O but obviously the standards on-board are also significantly higher.

Whilst I agree on-board wi-fi is slow & poor quality, I don't think you can compare it to land hotels who will get a cheap deal on broadband wi-fi - the satellite connection to ships must make it considerably more expensive but I am sure that it will be a good earner for the cruise lines too!

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry might upset a few but anyone that drinks 15 alcoholic drinks every day of a cruise has a problem. It is the equivalent of drinking 1/2 bottle of spirits, nearly 4 bottles of wines or 15 pints of alcohol every day of your cruise thats excessive and a damage to anyone's health.

Certainly don't disagree with your point Sinbad but of course, the package includes hot & soft drinks too.

I have spent some time thinking about this and concluded that it would be borderline as to whether this package would be value for me or not.  When on board at lunchtime, I normally have either a small glass of wine or a small beer with lunch.  Would then have a g&t or something bubbly before dinner, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and night-cap before bed.  If on-board in the afternoon, would also have at least one soft drink of some sort.

P&O do seem to have made it very confusing however.  Unless they have changed their bar menu in the last year, they list/sell spirits and mixers separately.  You could interpret their 'no more than one drink in 15 minutes' rule to mean you can order your gin and then have to wait 15 minutes to order the tonic 😅.  Also, in terms of the £6.95 limit, is that the combined cost of the spirit & mixer or can you order a spirit up to £6.95 plus the mixer on top?  It also means that wine for dinner can only be ordered by the glass, which limits your choices and causes extra work for waiters at the dinner table.  As another poster has said earlier, they have been thinking about this for a long time but the rules & regs are potentially very confusing.

2 hours ago, Elgrande said:

Just a thought, does anyone know if you can use your obc to buy the package when you board? 

More importantly can the loyalty discount be applied to the package?

Recent reports have said that loyalty discount can no longer be applied to Wine Packages so probably not to the new package either. That is just plain daft when drinks bought separately do have loyalty discount applied to them. Makes the package work out even more expensive.

We are awaiting reports back from the first cruise that it is offered on to firm up the finer details.

7 hours ago, raymondox said:

Some people say that the American booze packages cost more. I may agree with that but the American drinks are considerably more expensive, plus a 20% service charge. Lets see how it goes. An all inclusive drinks package should be just that, but then again 15 drinks does equal 5 bottles of wine using the large glass principle.

Just to say this is not all inclusive, it's a drinks package with certain limitations which are clearly stated.

HLM.

6 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

The reason why it is so expensive and cannot compare with land based hotels is hotels have a system where there router is connected to either copper/fibre based wiring which is a lot cheaper than the satellite system cruise lines have to have so not a fair comparison.

Yes, I agree you can't compare the two systems. However, on our recent Saga cruise WiFi to my phone was more than acceptable. Using 'payable' WiFi on a P&O cruise I notched up £10 just receiving and sending a very short but important email. This just wasn't acceptable and I was given a refund.

7 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Certainly don't disagree with your point Sinbad but of course, the package includes hot & soft drinks too.

I am well aware what it includes but there have been some comments about ther limit of 15 alcoholic drinks which is what my comment was referring too.

3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

More importantly can the loyalty discount be applied to the package?

Recent reports have said that loyalty discount can no longer be applied to Wine Packages so probably not to the new package either. That is just plain daft when drinks bought separately do have loyalty discount applied to them. Makes the package work out even more expensive.

We are awaiting reports back from the first cruise that it is offered on to firm up the finer details.

6 hours ago, Elgrande said:

Just a thought, does anyone know if you can use your obc to buy the package when you board? 

If you purchase the Ultimate drinks package it will be added to your onboard account and any OBC will be used and then when it has your relevant Peninsular Club discount will then be taken off the remaining balance.

Edited by sinbad10
2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

If you purchase the Ultimate drinks package it will be added to your onboard account and any OBC will be used and then when it has your relevant Peninsular Club discount will then be taken off the remaining balance.

It seems strange that loyalty discount would apply to the ultimate package but not the wine package. 

8 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I am well aware what it includes but there have been some comments about ther limit of 15 alcoholic drinks which is what my comment was referring too.

I could certainly drink alcoholic drinks in a 24hr period however not every day for a couple of weeks.

I'd agree if someone can do that consistently over two weeks there is a problem.

HLM.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:51 AM, sinbad10 said:

No, your calculation is way off.

If, for example, you drink 15 G&T’s in a day, that’s 15 x 25ml x 40% = 150ml of alcohol. That’s only about the same as six pints of a standard beer (say like Marston’s Pedigree) 6 x 568ml x 4.5% =  153ml of alcohol, or a bottle-and-a-half of wine 1.5 x 750ml x 13% = 146ml of alcohol.

Edited by Cruise nerd
Added wine calculation
14 minutes ago, Cruise nerd said:

No, your calculation is way off.

If, for example, you drink 15 G&T’s in a day, that’s 15 x 25ml x 40% = 150ml of alcohol. That’s only about the same as six pints of a standard beer (say like Marston’s Pedigree) 6 x 568ml x 4.5% =  153ml of alcohol, or a bottle-and-a-half of wine 1.5 x 750ml x 13% = 146ml of alcohol.

Sorry but 15 G&Ts at a standard UK measure of 25ml, what is served on all P&O ships, equals 375ml  or 37.5cl and a standard bottle of gin served in UK is 70cl so in effect just over half a bottle of any spirit per day so my calculation is spot on and yours is way off. Wine is usually served in 175ml or 250 ml measures so one bottle of wine is 750ml, so if you drink 15 glasses  of 175ml wine that equals 2625ml and 3 bottles equal 2250ml so therefore in one day drinking  3 1/2 bottles of wine which again is what I said in my original thread. 40%is strength of alcohol by volume and nothing to do with amount of alcohol consumed.

Edited by sinbad10
12 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry but 15 G&Ts at a standard UK measure of 25ml, what is served on all P&O ships, equals 375ml  or 37.5cl and a standard bottle of gin served in UK is 70cl so in effect just over half a bottle of any spirit per day so my calculation is spot on and yours is way off. Wine is usually served in 175ml or 250 ml measures so one bottle of wine is 750ml, so if you drink 15 glasses  of 175ml wine that equals 2625ml and 3 bottles equal 2250ml so therefore in one day drinking  3 1/2 bottles of wine which again is what I said in my original thread. 40%is strength of alcohol by volume and nothing to do with amount of alcohol consumed.

Hmmmm .... “40% is strength of alcohol by volume and nothing to do with the amount of alcohol consumed”??. By your logic, I assume you believe that adding a mixer increases the quantity of alcohol!

Take it from me, 15 G&Ts is equivalent to six pints of regular beer or a bottle-and-a-half of wine, as per the calculation I laid out above.

6 minutes ago, Cruise nerd said:

Hmmmm .... “40% is strength of alcohol by volume and nothing to do with the amount of alcohol consumed”??. By your logic, I assume you believe that adding a mixer increases the quantity of alcohol!

Take it from me, 15 G&Ts is equivalent to six pints of regular beer or a bottle-and-a-half of wine, as per the calculation I laid out above.

You are talking nonsense if you are in a pub and go to bar and buy 15 single measures of any spirit  that would be 15 X 25ml=375ml which is half a bottle and majority of spirits are 40% by vol  but 15 measures is still 1/2 bottle. If more than 40% then is stronger alcohol but 15 measures of that is still 1/2 a bottle. Which is what you would be drinking per day if you had full amount of drinks package.