• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it does make me chuckle all this fuss, several studies have shown that our antiseptic city lives have caused increases in asthma and other respiritory complaints over and above the problems of air qua

When I was young, yes a long time ago, there was no food packaging in shops (we didn't have supermarkets) everything came from the shelf, cold slab or bin. We didn't have wipes, spray antiseptics, toi

But I am only in my 60’s and I can relate to what OWT said, it is because people use all these antibacterial wipes and cleaners that we are no longer able to fight diseases. I don’t think we need to g

37 minutes ago, HLM said:

Maybe some do, but I can assure you some don't.

HLM.

I've never seen a steward cleaning a cabin without gloves. For their own protection if nothing else. They don't want to be coming into contact with sheets of those passengers who don't wear nightwear.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn
5 minutes ago, 2torts said:

They must get through a lot of gloves during a cruise if they have fresh gloves twice a day for each cabin! 

Because of the numbers involved I would think that each pair would cost hundredths of a penny each. You can buy a box of disposable gloves in supermarkets for a few quid. 

Now, disposing of them is an entirely different matter.

1 hour ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I've never seen a steward cleaning a cabin without gloves. For their own protection if nothing else. They don't want to be coming into contact with sheets of those passengers who don't wear nightwear.

Have you not? Well I can't proclaim to taking to much notice if gloves are worn at all times as I'm not normally in my cabin when it is cleaned, however what I can say with 100% certainty is that when I have happened to go in when it is being cleaned the gloves were certainly off.

HLM.

Just now, Pesky Pirate said:

Dare I say, I have seen lady cabin stewards being helped by their other halves when servicing cabins, usually wearing green. I don’t know which department but it isn’t only the steward who is in your cabin. I don’t leave anything lying around..

I remember seeing someone wearing green last cruise. Always in association with the steward. I assumed he was assistant/trainee.

4 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

They might wear gloves but do they change them between cabins or having cleaned the bathroom first... 

I remember when they used to wear 2 different colour gloves one white pair and one blue pair, presumably for different tasks. Now they wear just one glove on one hand and no doubt it's worn to change the bed and clean the bathroom. Do they change the glove at any point I don't know. After a cruise in 2015 I was compelled to write a complaint about something I witnessed all the cabin stewards doing on the Aurora. I'll be checking on our next cruise on the Aurora whether things have changed.

3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Of course they change gloves between cabins. Of course they do the cleanest jobs first. Everyone who cleans a house does that,  with or without training.

Think you're wrong on all counts there I'm afraid. I've watched them.

13 minutes ago, Davybe said:

They use to work in pairs one doing cabin's and one doing bathrooms ,we now have one person doing the Lot.

Bit saddend when P&O decided to change the bedding very week ,instead of every 4 days?....Davybe 

We haven't cruised with P&O since 2016 so I wasn't aware of that. It doesn't bother me because we always shower to go to bed and I don't change the bedding at home every 4 days. Every week will be fine. Perhaps it will encourage people to shower more often. 😉

Those of you who have accused me of being paranoid about germs will no doubt be astounded to hear that at home I shower once a day. Before getting dressed.

On holiday twice a day, once in the morning and again when getting changed for dinner. (Don't want my posh frocks getting grubby).

Three times would be excessive.

47 minutes ago, 2torts said:

Same for me but 3 times wouldn't be excessive if you'd been swimming or to the gym. ( I'm only guessing here as its not something I would do- can't swim & prefer to stroll  rather than gym when on holiday).😄

Never stop in the gym (have walked through it, fast!) If I do swim I do it late afternoon so I can combine my post swim pre-dinner shower into one. 😊

5 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Those of you who have accused me of being paranoid about germs will no doubt be astounded to hear that at home I shower once a day. Before getting dressed.

On holiday twice a day, once in the morning and again when getting changed for dinner. (Don't want my posh frocks getting grubby).

Three times would be excessive.

Well I suppose we all have our peculiarities but I don't think 3 times is excessive especially on a ship. I shower when I get up in the morning, before I get ready for dinner and when I go to bed. If I've been on an excursion I shower as soon as I get back on board. I consider myself Hygienic just as you do.

2 hours ago, Tally said:

Well I suppose we all have our peculiarities but I don't think 3 times is excessive especially on a ship. I shower when I get up in the morning, before I get ready for dinner and when I go to bed. If I've been on an excursion I shower as soon as I get back on board. I consider myself Hygienic just as you do.

I grew up having one bath a week.

Two showers a day feels positively decadent.

6 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I grew up having one bath a week.

Two showers a day feels positively decadent.

When I was born we had a tin bath in front of the fire. We moved when I was 4 but my mother would only use the water heater once a week so Friday night was always bath night. When we married it felt very odd to be able to have one any day of the week.

9 hours ago, Tally said:

Much the same as me, shower & shave every morning and bath/shower after work when at home.

On a cruise up to three a day depending on my activities, morning and before bed and after excursion or swimming etc.

Love how threads can change, we've moved from nightwear in a draw to peoples personal hygiene  :)

HLM.

4 minutes ago, 2torts said:

When I was born we had a tin bath in front of the fire. We moved when I was 4 but my mother would only use the water heater once a week so Friday night was always bath night. When we married it felt very odd to be able to have one any day of the week.

I must of been lucky, as a child it was twice a week :blink: Once on Sunday because it was school the next day and then again midweek whether I needed it or not :D.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

Much the same as me, shower & shave every morning and bath/shower after work when at home.

On a cruise up to three a day depending on my activities, morning and before bed and after excursion or swimming etc.

Love how threads can change, we've moved from nightwear in a draw to peoples personal hygiene  :)

HLM.

Not that much of a drift. The thread started talking about how hygienic it was to put nightwear that had been worn into the bedside drawer.

Just waiting for someone from the 'soap is bad for you' brigade to join in 😁

3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Just waiting for someone from the 'soap is bad for you' brigade to join in 😁

They do say soap is bad for you or at least that is what the cosmetic companies tell you when they are trying to sell you all their lotions and potions, I can remember an Estee Lauder assistant commenting on how nice my skin was and asking what cleansers etc I used .. she was horrified when I said just soap and water !!