What!!!! How can P&O ask anyone to reconsider the gratuities they pay. Tips are for service received after the service is given. As for stamping the receipts revive as opted out well that beggars belief. Sorry P& O but after 11 cruises with you and my first one on Saga you have definitely lost a customer. Our last cruise on Arcadia was a really bad. Poor food, indifferent service and a very run down ship. Why not do as Saga do and include gratuities in the price, and much more. Alright perhaps the initial outlay would look more expensive but you know what you are paying for which when broken down gives good value. Please have a rethink P&O and pay your wonderful staff a decent wage and stop cutting back on them.

I agree that tips should be factored into the fare so that all pay the same. I wouldn`t go with P&O again based on poor customer service and provision of services  last year and have to admit that , based on my experiences,  for the first time ever I went to reception and removed gratuities then tipped a few who I felt had done their job.

The whole tipping issue is annoying but I always do it. It’s wrong that employees of a company as big as P&O rely upon tips. Our first cruise to see the northern lights was on the Oriana and at the end of it we were not rushing to get on another ship. Our second which we’ve just done with Viking, well we were not back a week and we’d booked another. We will never sail with P&O again and our friends who cruise two or three times a year will never go with them either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am John, I am due to go on a P and O cruise at the end of August, can someone put me right, am I to understand that if you try and lower amount of tip at the reception desk they are not allowing you to. I think it disgusting that P and O expect you to pay tips, and what tips they are, when I was last on a cruise with them it was £5 per person per night, now it is £7 pppn, I could go on a holiday for that amount. I was told that most companies expect you to pay tips. P and O should pay their crew members the right money and not expect passengers to make up the difference, I would much rather pay extra all inclusive at the beginning than be blackmailed into paying all this extra. I NEVER GOT PAID TIPS WHEN I WAS AT WORK, I JUST GOT WAGES. Unfortunately I am also booked up with another cruise with them next year, but that will be it then no more with P and O, can anybody tell me which companies are tip free. Thank you all.

Depends where you want to sail from John.  From the UK it is very limited.  As far as I know, Saga are the only company that operate year-round ex uk and always include tips in the fare.  NCL offer Premium All Inclusive on their uk sailings and Marella have a limited number of ex-uk sailings, from I think, Newcastle.  Other lines generally add tips or service charges but many offer limited-time deals which include gratuities.

Fred Olsen have the lowest tips at £5 pppd and if you don't get a deal with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, you will pay over £10 pppd.

Gratuities have always been a part of cruising and whilst it may be outdated, the main-stream, mass-market cruise lines are reluctant to abolish it as they want to advertise the lowest possible prices - which has also been driven by the desire of so many pax to pay the lowest possible price.  Travel on a six-star cruise line and you won't pay gratuities - but you will pay a much, much higher fare.

Yes midshipman you have the gist of my opinion BUT I object to being told how much to pay for my gratuities. As stated tipping is personal and I have always tipped but object to paying part of the crews wages even though they are always marvellous. I object to having my receipts marked opted out also. Personal choice is what it should be.

If you read my original posts you would would see that I said that P&O should increase their fares and give the quality that they used to. For 20 years I thought I would never say that but the last few cruises with them on various ships the staffing has been stretched to a bare minimum. Cabin stewards now have more cabins to clean within the same time period. Waiters have more tables to serve. Need I say more.  We don' need the minimum price possible. Just a fair one and perhaps less pen pushers and new ideas from people.

I will be going for a week on  a five star cruise later in the year. A special holiday at a very good price booked  almost 2 years in advance. This I am sure will be great, but will probably never happen again. So I will make the most of it and still give my cabin steward a tip if he deserves it. But no one will tell me I should and how much. That is my point.

Gratuities are always a hot topic. The problem is that some say it is just a part of cruising whilst others say it is for service above and beyond the norm (if I remember rightly it is the latter that P&O use).

If it is just part of the cruising experience then it is, as many have said, a way of increasing wages without employers funding it. If staff are not satisfied with the wages offered they have a choice - join another shipping line who pay more, seek alternative work or just do not accept the contract. Contracts cannot be that bad as there are always loads of people wanting the jobs.

If it is for service then, you the customer, should decide the value of the service above the norm and pay what you feel is the right amount, not one directed by the employees bosses.

As also has been said - if it is to increase wages then add it to the cruise cost so it is transparent and let's stop all the arguments 🤔

5 hours ago, badbelly said:

Hi I am John, I am due to go on a P and O cruise at the end of August, can someone put me right, am I to understand that if you try and lower amount of tip at the reception desk they are not allowing you to. I think it disgusting that P and O expect you to pay tips, and what tips they are, when I was last on a cruise with them it was £5 per person per night, now it is £7 pppn, I could go on a holiday for that amount. I was told that most companies expect you to pay tips. P and O should pay their crew members the right money and not expect passengers to make up the difference, I would much rather pay extra all inclusive at the beginning than be blackmailed into paying all this extra. I NEVER GOT PAID TIPS WHEN I WAS AT WORK, I JUST GOT WAGES. Unfortunately I am also booked up with another cruise with them next year, but that will be it then no more with P and O, can anybody tell me which companies are tip free. Thank you all.

P&O will not stop you from reducing or removing auto gratuities from your account just go to reception and ask them and you will be asked to sign a form  and then it is up to you if you give cash to deserving staff at end of cruise or not tip at all. By the way would love to know where you can go on holiday including breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner and midnight snacks for £7pppn you cannot pitch a tent in a camp site for £7pppn without any food.

4 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

P&O will not stop you from reducing or removing auto gratuities from your account just go to reception and ask them and you will be asked to sign a form  and then it is up to you if you give cash to deserving staff at end of cruise or not tip at all. By the way would love to know where you can go on holiday including breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner and midnight snacks for £7pppn you cannot pitch a tent in a camp site for £7pppn without any food.

But you have already paid for the tent pitch and food in the cost of your cruise.

5 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

Or have I read it wrong again....

You have read it wrong again because  I was referring to badbelly who says he could go on holiday for the amount of gratuiies at £7pppn but dont know where. Read the whole thread before you comment because you are commenting on a fraction of the thread.

Edited by sinbad10