Hi,

I'm looking at booking a cruise on Oceana where you fly to Dubai, i just wanted peoples thoughts on her? I sailed on her a few years ago but only for 2 nights so think its hard to judge by that. Previously sailed on Ventura. For some reason i imagine her to be old, run down and small? It's not all about the ship as its the destinations we are interested in but just wanted peoples feed back? Thanks

One thing for certain Oceana is a lot older and smaller than Ventura but havent sailed on her for many years so cannot comment on her condition. Oceana was originally built for Princess cruises and was Ocean Princess and entered service in 2000, Ventura entered service in 2008.

Edited by sinbad10

I sailed on her in 2016, we did the 35 day USA and Caribbean cruise and the ship was very unstable crossing the Atlantic and the B of Band. I didn't like the ship myself even though I prefer the smaller ships. I missed having a Crow's nest as there wasn't anywhere to sit and have a quiet drink or chat. As you know everything revolves around the atrium. If constant noise doesn't bother you then you'll be fine. Also when I sit outside to have a drink I don't like sitting in the full sun and the bars outside have almost nowhere to sit in the shade. The ship was shabby then, but she's since had a re-fit I believe. She wasn't for me I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Tally said:

I sailed on her in 2016, we did the 35 day USA and Caribbean cruise and the ship was very unstable crossing the Atlantic and the B of Band. I didn't like the ship myself even though I prefer the smaller ships. I missed having a Crow's nest as there wasn't anywhere to sit and have a quiet drink or chat. As you know everything revolves around the atrium. If constant noise doesn't bother you then you'll be fine. Also when I sit outside to have a drink I don't like sitting in the full sun and the bars outside have almost nowhere to sit in the shade. The ship was shabby then, but she's since had a re-fit I believe. She wasn't for me I'm afraid.

The problems you encountered i.e. unstable crossing and nowhere to sit in the shade is because the ship was built by Princess for the American market for 7 day cruises to Caribbean that is why she has a nice atrium and the cabins and storage are smaller.

2 hours ago, Tally said:

Nor us Tally .

Nothing much to like about the design and layout of both Ventura and Azura, IMO.

We were told that the Stabilisers were damaged on the cruise before ours ,and we had a rough ride through the BoB and arrived some 6 hours late into Soton....Davybe

I went on Oceana for the first time end of September last year. We really enjoyed it - this was before the refurbishment aswell. We found the ship to be a nice size - we didn't find it to be small at all - there was plenty of space and venues. The cabin felt a little dated but it was generally clean and tidy so didn't affect our holiday enjoyment at all.

I would definitely go on her again!!

23 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

The problems you encountered i.e. unstable crossing and nowhere to sit in the shade is because the ship was built by Princess for the American market for 7 day cruises to Caribbean that is why she has a nice atrium and the cabins and storage are smaller.

So I understand Sinbad. We were told by one of the officers that she is what is known as a Sun class ship. 

As many people will know from my previous posts on this forum, I'm a firm fan of Oceana having enjoyed numerous sailings on her over the years. Yes the cabins are smaller and storage is a little limited but this is purely down to the original design purpose of the ship as sinbad has mentioned above. Originally designed for short Caribbean sailings, I'm surprised P&O opt for the longer transatlantic cruises with this ship but that's their decision to make.

I think it will be perfectly suited to Dubai sailings. It's got a warmth and welcoming to it that many other ships I've experienced don't have. The staff have always been wonderful on board with us and the ship itself has always looked in good condition. I wouldn't worry at all. I actually prefer Oceana to Ventura as I found the open deck space on Ventura to be lacking compared to the amount of passengers on board. It was also far less personal and the staff struggled to be as attentive as on Oceana, which appeared to be again down to passenger numbers. The same cannot be said of Celebrity with this so this is clearly a P&O issue and one I hope they sort for the new Iona.