- Almost ten million people went abroad in the last 12 months WITHOUT travel insurance

I can’t believe anyone would take such a risk these days but apparently nearly ten million people did last year alone. I read an article earlier with figures from ABTA where as many as two in five people had travelled overseas in the past 12 months without insurance.

That wasn’t the only interesting stat. The article also showed figures from ABTA that 1 in 5 people last year also risked invalidating their insurance by not informing the insurance company of their pre-existing medical conditions prior to taking out the policy or by choosing to take part in activities that they had no idea whether or not were covered.

I always take out insurance and I always make sure it’s the right cover for the trip I’m looking to do. I make sure it’s a reputable insurance company and that the policy fully covers any activities I may do whilst away. To some that might sound a bit over the top but I do it because I don’t want to get caught out and it gives me peace of mind.

The article I read then goes on to say how one woman recently had to fork out over £50,000 in hospital bills because she hadn’t checked to make sure she was fully covered. Apparently, she thought she was covered through her bank but in fact that policy only covered her for European trips. When she went to Cancun and was rushed to hospital struggling to breathe, she had to have an emergency heart operation. The bill was so much that her family had to start a Go Fund Me appeal to help her.

It just goes to show how important it is to take out insurance but also to make sure that you’re taking out the right insurance.

We only cruise now since my wife uses a wheelchair almost 100% of the time following a stroke, and we know how much full insurance cover can cost.  However we do wonder how some passengers both older and with more serious conditions do manage to afford insurance, and wonder if they just risk holidaying without insurance.

I think some people just seem to think it is an unnecessary expense and dont contemplate the implications of not having adequate cover, until they get caught out and it costs them more than the holiday. I would never travel without it and as I have a medical condition I make sure I'm covered. I really struggle to sympathize with people who dont take the correct cover as most of the time its their own error with either penny pinching or not reading what they are covered for.

The cruise companies need travel insurance details as part of their requirements so I do not understand how, or why, you can travel without it.

We are shortly "flying" on holiday and I have noticed you need to have travel insurance with you, on the day of flying, for that. Perhaps this insurance should be looked at as part of check-in.

I agree, I think it should be a mandatory requirement of any form of overseas travel. I would never travel abroad now, especially with my medical conditions but even prior to this, I always made sure I had the necessary cover needed and I always checked the fine-print.

I don't understand how anyone could take such a gamble. I do understand that there are situations where some people may struggle to get cover due to certain circumstances but personally, I would never take the risk. The consequences could be awful if anything went wrong. The example in the OP is enough to encourage everyone to get appropriate cover.

11 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

How many travel abroad without insurance as they believe they are covered by the European Health Card and don't need insurance. 

Heard this many times, people think it's the be all and end all, which is isn't.

Based on two personal experiences they will normally take you to a private hospital where the 'EHIC' card is ignored, once you're there what else can you do.

EHIC is ok if you're walking wounded and can get to the public hospitals, if not insurance is vital as it proved in my cases.

I won't bore you all with the details but Barclays insurance were absolutely fantastic and I'd recommend them to anyone.

HLM.

19 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

The cruise companies need travel insurance details as part of their requirements so I do not understand how, or why, you can travel without it.

We are shortly "flying" on holiday and I have noticed you need to have travel insurance with you, on the day of flying, for that. Perhaps this insurance should be looked at as part of check-in.

The problem is the cruise lines take our word that the policy numbers we give them are actually current, you can if you wish put any old policy in ,will they check them all.

On the ship the bill goes on your account(Credit card) when your taken ashore it's your problem to sort out payment problems.....Davybe

I can understand people travelling without cancellation, trip interruption or baggage insurance, because these are known amounts and while it is disappointing to have to pay for a trip you cannot take, it is unlikely to break the bank.  Health Insurance is another matter all together.  An accident or illness in a country like USA could make the 50,000 pounds  in Cancun look like small change.  

The idea of aa Go Fund Me appeal to pay for  uninsured expenses seems ridiculous.  If you can't afford insurance you can't afford to travel.  Why should others pay for your stupidity.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:04 AM, Davybe said:

IMO any one who goes abroad with out decent travel insurance is stupid?

Our closest friends are now in the USA for a month with no insurance, they are both in their 80s ,Personally I would not go ,for to big a risk to take....Davybe

Totally agree,we had an illness in Florida and large amounts of money had go be paid there and then.   BA were wonderful and scheduled on the first available flight The insurance paid for everything. If we had to stay I fear to think about the amount of money we would have had go find.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, HLM said:

Heard this many times, people think it's the be all and end all, which is isn't.

Based on two personal experiences they will normally take you to a private hospital where the 'EHIC' card is ignored, once you're there what else can you do.

EHIC is ok if you're walking wounded and can get to the public hospitals, if not insurance is vital as it proved in my cases.

I won't bore you all with the details but Barclays insurance were absolutely fantastic and I'd recommend them to anyone.

HLM.

We have had 2 holiday insurance claim, one was a hospital in patient stay, and for this one the EHIC card was used and did cover all the hospital costs.  The other involved a handbag beach theft where not only my wifes purse but my wallet were lost, along with credit cards and my passport.

Fortunately we also had full travel insurance cover which reimbursed us for most of the other extra costs, including a rescheduled return flight for the hospital stay, but they balked at me trying to claim taxi fares to visit my wife in hospital.

8 hours ago, towny44 said:

We have had 2 holiday insurance claim, one was a hospital in patient stay, and for this one the EHIC card was used and did cover all the hospital costs.  The other involved a handbag beach theft where not only my wifes purse but my wallet were lost, along with credit cards and my passport.

Fortunately we also had full travel insurance cover which reimbursed us for most of the other extra costs, including a rescheduled return flight for the hospital stay, but they balked at me trying to claim taxi fares to visit my wife in hospital.

Oh I don't doubt the EHIC card is very useful and indeed I take mine whenever I go on my European travels.

Just in my experience they didn't want to know they were more interested in the insurance policy and continued to the private hospital regardless.

HLM.

I did not think you could cruise without insurance it’s in the Ts And Cs you would be pretty stupid to lie about cover,I also thought you needed insurance to fly.

i would not go anywhere without suitable cover, medical charges are expensive in Europe yet alone further afield 

13 hours ago, Jenjen said:

I did not think you could cruise without insurance it’s in the Ts And Cs you would be pretty stupid to lie about cover,I also thought you needed insurance to fly.

i would not go anywhere without suitable cover, medical charges are expensive in Europe yet alone further afield 

I've only ever been asked if I have insurance, never had to prove it.

I can only assume that once I advise that I'm covered, they tick the box and they've done what's required of them.

HLM.

I can understand why some people avoid travel insurance, those who have pre existing medical conditions face huge costs..  Also, when you do make a claim they try everything in the book not to pay.  I wont bore you with the details, but after a long hospital wait I was diagnosed with a condition and had to have major surgery. This was 5 weeks before my cruise, so obviously I had to cancel it.

I submitted all the claim forms and I then got a call saying i wasnt covered as it was a pre existing condition, even though I didn't find out  what it was (cancer) until after i booked my holiday, (I got my insurance when I was told I had nothing serious, however, 2 weeks later the hospital got back in touch with me to go back) , when I told the guy from the insurance that I didn't find out what I had until 5 weeks before my cruise I was told that I was referred to hospital last September, therefore it was a pre existing condition, even though I wasnt diagnosed until March this year... I was speechless.... I have lost 2K because of this.

I for one wont be doing that again...  :/ 

8 hours ago, Willow912 said:

I can understand why some people avoid travel insurance, those who have pre existing medical conditions face huge costs..  Also, when you do make a claim they try everything in the book not to pay.  I wont bore you with the details, but after a long hospital wait I was diagnosed with a condition and had to have major surgery. This was 5 weeks before my cruise, so obviously I had to cancel it.

I submitted all the claim forms and I then got a call saying i wasnt covered as it was a pre existing condition, even though I didn't find out  what it was (cancer) until after i booked my holiday, (I got my insurance when I was told I had nothing serious, however, 2 weeks later the hospital got back in touch with me to go back) , when I told the guy from the insurance that I didn't find out what I had until 5 weeks before my cruise I was told that I was referred to hospital last September, therefore it was a pre existing condition, even though I wasnt diagnosed until March this year... I was speechless.... I have lost 2K because of this.

Sorry to hear this and I wish you have a speedy recovery.

From memory for my insurance cover there was a question which asked if I'd been referred or if I was waiting for any hospital tests or appointments within the past 12 months which I was, I told them and subsequently paid an additional sum.

Even after my results came back clear and calling them about the results, they insisted the charge remained as at the time the policy was taken out I was undergoing tests and I was fully covered, which is fair enough I suppose.

HLM.

11 hours ago, Willow912 said:

Hope things work out will for you  Willow,But I am not surprised at the Insurance companies attitude,My wife had to go to hospital in the USA they point blank refuse to deal with a UK insurance Company (To Much Hassle) 

I found out 3 days before a cruise I had Arterial Fribulation (Nothing to Serious) I phoned the Insurance (M&S) and they covered me at no extra charge as it was a sudden onset.Just shows how different companies are....Davybe

On 29/05/2018 at 9:50 PM, Willow912 said:

Sorry to hear this Willow but unfortunately even though you hadn't had a diagnosis you were in the system and many insurers wouldn't even have accepted you without a diagnosis.

Could I make a couple of suggestions, if you did the insurance online go back and do another 'dummy quote' to see if there are any questions about have you seen a doctor or attended a hospital as an in/out patient in the last two years ( that is usually the time frame ) if there isn't then you would genuinely not have known you had to tell them, if the insurance was taken out over the phone then again if you weren't asked the question how would you know you should have mentioned it, there will be a recording of that conversation and if you weren't asked go back to them and ask for a copy of it,  thirdly and it might be too late for this but you could try appealing to the cruise companies better nature and ask them if they would be prepared to transfer your £2k to another cruise later in the year.

Wishing you well with your recovery.  

Only recently reported is the death of a British man falling from a balcony in an airport in Turkey. He was on holiday with his girlfriend/wife and young child and they had no travel insurance and the hospital are reportedly demanding 9000 Euros for the treatment he received and that will only increase with the cost of repatriation of his body back to the UK. Nobody likes paying any sort of insurance but the consequences that can happen without it is not worth the risk.