CruiseGeek

Where do you get your travel insurance when cruising?

Try Holiday Extras through our partnership programme, you can chose from single trip, annual, policies designed for the cruise holiday maker and bespoke insurance for anyone up to 89 years with a pre existing medical condition. Good rates and service. We have used them for many years and have thousands of satisfied clients. Book online @ www.insurancereferrals.co.uk?agent=WT843. Michael Wilson, MD Bolsover Cruise Club

Just a word of caution for those who use Insurance issued by Bank Cards. The coverage is usually basic and not everything is actually covered, especially the Cancellation and Curtailment amounts, which tend to be low on these types of insurance. Also the length of individual trips may be restricted as well , especially on the longer trips.

if you are going on a long trip and be away from your home for a while, then you also need to check your own home insurance. Most home insurances expire on the coverage if the home is left empty after a certain time.

Travellers really do need to check the insurance Policy and especially the small print. You don't usually get something for nothing.

We usually shop around until we find the coverage needed and the most competitive quote. We also tend to look for Annual Travel Insurance too as this works out cheaper if more than one trip is planned.

Beware those that do it through their bank. My son has just had a horrendous experience.

Like all insurance companies they are quite happy to take your money but will fight tooth and nail to minimise their pay out's

David

I have insurance thru Nationwide and have used it for European trips but have just taken out an annual policy with Saga for our trip to Rio next month as anywhere outside of Europe wasn't covered. I usually take out an annual multi trip but used the Nationwide cover when my annual one expired.

Fortunately I've never had to claim.

Just a word of caution for those who use Insurance issued by Bank Cards. The coverage is usually basic and not everything is actually covered, especially the Cancellation and Curtailment amounts, which tend to be low on these types of insurance. Also the length of individual trips may be restricted as well , especially on the longer trips.

if you are going on a long trip and be away from your home for a while, then you also need to check your own home insurance. Most home insurances expire on the coverage if the home is left empty after a certain time.

Travellers really do need to check the insurance Policy and especially the small print. You don't usually get something for nothing.

We usually shop around until we find the coverage needed and the most competitive quote. We also tend to look for Annual Travel Insurance too as this works out cheaper if more than one trip is planned.

I think this is good advice, a case of  'You get what you pay for'.

Tried quite a few companies over the years, and are currently with Avanti - recommended by fellow cruisers. Have had the last 2 years annual worldwide, 45 nights max per trip with heart medical ( atrial fibrillation ) for about £200. per year. Have not made a claim, thankfully. But their small print and terms look to be on par with the best of them.

I get mine through the bank which covers the whole family thankfully. I have used Holiday Extra's for my Grandma recently though and they were really good - very reasonable prices and great cover.

I used to use m&s card insurance but changed recently to holiday extras as they now offer an insurance with cruising in mind which gives you additional benefits, def better value + its worth noting that some trvel insurance does not cover cruising at all unless you take it as an additional extra

cheers for all those that have posted here, ive tried several, was offered bolsolver this time but decided to wait and look around. We have normally bought one trip cruise insurance through Bolsover, but they have changed now and i think its holiday extras, if it is, as said above by previous poster, they (bolsover) do have a relationship with them seemingly now by booking with Bolsover you get 5% discount so will look into that. :) 

I'm very lucky.  In my last job we had offered to us (through the 'union', not the employer) an annual policy that costs £5 per month and covers both my wife and I.  Even though I have now left I am still able to keep the cover.  I think £30 each per year is great value as it covers us no matter how many times we go away.

Guest shilly3191

I ujse the travel insurance we get through our Direct Line home insurance policy.  Luckily, we've never had to claim .......

When we enquired about house insurance through Direct Line they wouldnt let us have the free travel insurance because of pre exisiting medical conditions.

We use the insurance provided by the bank. But what ever you do you must let them know of any medical problems you have or have had. Also ensure that they cover cruise- not all insurance companies do.

Irene