Vantage/getaway Demise

Guest shilly3191

Guest shilly3191

So P&O have finally got rid of there Vantage/Getaway system and have brought in another system for cruises in 2014 from Spring booked from beginning of November. I for one think its just another play on words and the "possibility" of an upgrade and for me I have lost total confidence in P&O as a company and after March, when we are booked on Northern Lights cruise which was booked in May 2012, will not be cruiseing with P&O again.

Think of all the money they plough into these new ideas that don't even last a year!!

Here for anyone else wishing to read...

Cunard Line and P&O Cruises are doing away with their 'Vantage' and 'Getaway' fares in 2014, less than a year after rolling out the fare structure. 

The lines have replaced Vantage fares with 'P&O Cruises Select Price' and 'Cunard Fare' rates, which will allow passengers to pick their cabins as well as dining times and table sizes. The new fares also offer the possibility of cabin upgrades if higher-tier cabins become available prior to the cruise sail date, and include a choice of one of the following: onboard credit, car parking or coach transfers to Southampton. These two new fares will be available on all cruises, according to Cunard and P&O. 

Getaway fares have been scrapped altogether, although both lines are introducing a new 'Early Saver' fare. These fares, like guarantee cabin fares, come at a reduced price, but don't allow passengers to choose a specific cabin, only the cabin category and general location on the ship. Unlike guarantee cabins, however, Early Saver fares don't offer the possibility of an upgrade, and mean that passengers will have lower priority when selecting dining times and tables. 

The new fare types are bookable beginning 4 November, 2013, and apply to cruises from the spring of 2014 and beyond. All bookings on Getaway and Vantage fares before 4 November will be honored, according to the lines. 100,000 cabins will be sold on the Select Price and Cunard Fares across 200 cruises, while 90,000 cabins will be available on the Early Saver fares across 178 cruises. 

A statement from the lines quoted Gerard Tempest, Chief Commercial Officer for the lines' parent company, Carnival UK: "We listened to our travel agents ... and have developed a fare structure that will allow them more opportunities ... Importantly, this initiative will help agents to replace lower-priced late bookings with more profitable earlier-booking business." 

P&O and Cunard put Vantage and Getaway fares in place on cruises beginning in April 2013. 

I think it's high time they did 'something' with the fares. And I congratulate them on recognising that the current system just wasn't working, in fact it alienated the early bookers, who tend to be P&O's most loyal clients.

I do think it is difficult for them to achieve a good balance between looking after the early bookers, and filling the ships on the late deals, but I must say the other cruise lines don't seem to have the same 'Price Warfare' as P&O/Cunard... maybe they should take a look at what their competitors are doing...

It will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds over the coming months!

I am one of PO's most loyal bookers and I never am able to book early, it's ok if you require a special cabin and a must have dinner sitting , I personally don't mind I love the freedom of being able to book a few weeks before sailing.

I always manage a late sitting the cabin doesn't matter and I will willingly pay for shuttle buses.

PO will still take their prices down from the early booking prices, [look at todays prices] they will never sail with a ship half empty , they will market it under something else as they are in the game to make money.CG

I've always been blessed with the gift of hindsight but rarely foresight. But for once I may have called this one right as a couple of months ago I suggested on another forum the death of the current marketing structure when one or two extras were being added to 'Getaways'. 

The only other time I got the foresight thing right was when John Smith died and the money was on Gordon Brown as the next leader.  I said to my wife that Tony Blair would become the next leader since he was a smooth operator and would turn out to be the most dangerous PM this country had ever known but I won't say that on here because it is a political comment. 

First day of the new pricing structure!

Just had a quick look at the new prices on Cunard (Queen Vic). The new standard fare looks to be about the same as the previous vantage fare. The early saver fare on a balcony seems to be about £300 cheaper than the standard fare on a 14 night cruise. Interestingly the Princess and Queens grill fares do not feature in the early saver fares. They all show as sold out??

My first thoughts are that the early saver fares are not worth having. By the time you take off the free car parking, OBC or coach transfer and add in that you will have to pay for shuttle buses in ports you are effectively saving very little. What saving there is does not compensate for being unable to choose your specific cabin and have low priority for dining times/table size.

Looks like it will be better to wait and get some proper savings nearer the sailing date.

I think it's high time they did 'something' with the fares. And I congratulate them on recognising that the current system just wasn't working, in fact it alienated the early bookers, who tend to be P&O's most loyal clients.

I do think it is difficult for them to achieve a good balance between looking after the early bookers, and filling the ships on the late deals, but I must say the other cruise lines don't seem to have the same 'Price Warfare' as P&O/Cunard... maybe they should take a look at what their competitors are doing...

It will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds over the coming months!

Yes Popsicle, as early bookers for all of our past and next years cruises, I fully agree with your posting.

Re Early Saver Prices. Direct from P&O site "Dining preferences are not guaranteed (preferences collected prior to boarding and confirmed on boarding)". When will the preferences be collected, at check-in, or at some time prior to this. Also no mention if you can use a future cruise booking credit purchased on board, which normally gives additional on board credit.

Jacka

This is what I posted on another forum in Relation to Cunard

Our Fares
We would like to tell you about some changes to our fares. 
For cruises departing from the Spring of 2014 onwards*, our new headline fare is the Cunard Fare that retains all the benefits you value, with reduced fares offered on a selection of cruises. We’ve also introduced new Early Saver fares on many others.

Other promotional fares may be introduced from time to time, but they will be extremely restricted with minimal benefits and no opportunity to select your dining time or table size preference. In addition these fares will only offer the opportunity to select your stateroom type such as Inside, Ocean View or Balcony.

Over the next couple of weeks you might receive mailings from us that feature Vantage and/or Getaway Fares which will still apply to cruises departing from now until Spring 2014. *Cunard Fares and Early Saver Fares where available are applicable from cruise numbers Q407, M405 and V403.

Cunard Fares

Offer premium value
Available on all cruises regardless of when you book
Choice of stateroom number (subject to availability)
Highest priority for receiving your chosen dining seating time (in the Britannia Restaurant) and table size
Highest priority for receiving stateroom upgrades (where available)
Complimentary shuttle buses (where available)
Choice of one complimentary benefit on cruises of seven nights or more:
- On board credit (amount varies by cruise duration)
- Car parking in Southampton for the duration of your cruise 
- Return coach travel to Southampton
- Airport car parking depending on choice of cruise

15% deposit
Flexibility to change your booking (subject to our booking conditions)

Early Savers

Offer a reduced fare with some benefits
Available on selected cruises, at selected times
Choice of grade and location of stateroom (we’ll assign your stateroom number)
Lower priority for your chosen dining seating time (in the Britannia Restaurant) and table size
15% deposit

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-types/our-fares/

The Cunard Fare
The Cunard Fare offers flexibility, value and peace of mind. For cruises of seven nights or more, you can choose from one of the following complimentary benefits:

On board spending money
or, car parking in Southampton
or, return coach travel in Southampton
or, airport parking on selected Fly-Cruises
or, regional flights
or, hotel stays
By booking the Cunard Fare on any cruise, you will also be able to choose your precise stateroom type, location and number, including three and four berth staterooms. Guests in Britannia Staterooms have a choice of Early or Late Seating for dinner. Shuttle buses where provided by Cunard are also included in your fare.

With the Cunard Fare, you can make amendments or even change your cruise entirely up to 90 days prior to departure, subject to our booking conditions. When booking, you will only be required to pay a 15% deposit.

Early Saver
Our Early Saver fares offer a reduced fare with some benefits, including:

Offer a reduced fare with some benefits
Available on selected cruises, at selected times
Choice of stateroom grade (we’ll assign your stateroom number)
Lower priority for receiving your chosen dining seating time (in the Britannia Restaurant) and table size. Preferences will be collected prior to boarding and confirmed on boarding.
15% deposit

Along with all customers I  received an e mail from Cunard saying

Thank you for choosing to travel with us on , we are looking forward to welcoming you on board. I am writing to tell you that from 4 November we are changing the way that we price our holidays departing from Spring 2014 and, as you have a future booking with us, I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know what this change means in general and specifically for your booking.

Our new fares will offer different pricing options for our holidays. For passengers who want a cruise with the most added value, we have the Cunard Fare. This will be the one shown in our brochure and will be inclusive of the benefits that customers have told us they value the most, such as full stateroom choice and top priority for dining. In addition, we are introducing a new fare called Early Saver. This is for our passengers who have told us that they want great value, without every benefit include in the Cunard Fare.

Our new fares are designed to offer the best value and improved benefits to all of our customers, based on when they want to book and the benefits that they want to enjoy. As a direct result of these changes we have reduced the price on a number of cruises and some may also offer an Early Saver.

Turning to your booking with us in November, as your holiday departs prior to when these changes are being made, your booking is not affected and your terms and conditions remain the same.

I do hope that this letter has reassured you about how our new pricing affects your booking. We will be writing to you in the next few days to give you even more detail about our pricing, but in the meantime if you have any questions about your booking then please contact one of our Personal Cruise Experts on 0843 374 0013 or visit our website atwww.cunard.co.uk/ourfares.

Once again, thank you for booking and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Yours sincerely,

I think what they have done is to remove a lot of the false promises but replaced with a similar thing.

You will have at least two types of possible Bookings, both with a 15% deposit   Cunard Fares and Early Savers
and a Third type of booking  Just called Savers for 100% deposit for their sales nearer to the time of departure.Which is great for those not so well off and not fussy where they sleep, but just want to be onboard.

Presently I don't think you will see much difference in the old name of Vantage to Cunard fares as they will not want to give to much obc away.

They can do what they want with their ships but getting bums on beds and customers spending is the priority for their shareholders.

I understand though that the saver fares are more restrictive although on the same deposit basis. So you will get second choice of dinning option and not confirmed until onboard and cabin not guaranteed just grade. Whereas the other fare you can choose cabin and dining with the choice of benefits. I guess this is giving people choice on if you want added value and peace of mind of cabin number, dinning or if you just want value on price and don't mind where the cabin is or what dinning you want, I know which one I would rather book. Someone else has mentioned savers, not sure what this is but if it is late bookings then I would think they will be more restrictive again. Would be interesting to understand. Sounds like they have listened to feedback on vantage and getaways so a move the right way.

Re Early Saver Prices. Direct from P&O site "Dining preferences are not guaranteed (preferences collected prior to boarding and confirmed on boarding)". When will the preferences be collected, at check-in, or at some time prior to this. Also no mention if you can use a future cruise booking credit purchased on board, which normally gives additional on board credit.Jacka

I asked this question and you can use your future cruise deposit on early saver and cunard fare or p&o fare, don't know the dinning answer though sorry

I asked this question and you can use your future cruise deposit on early saver and cunard fare or p&o fare, don't know the dinning answer though sorry

Unfortunately P&O do not appear to have updated their web site, so I am still unsure about FCDs. This is from the web site :

"It should be noted that FCDs are not combinable with Net or Flat Rate deals"

Jacka