Plated Meals On Ventura

It may be that Edinburgh is leading the way but last time I was in The Ivy in London and The Vineyard in Stockcross, Newbury both were silver service for vegetables.

cheers

Harvey

The Ivy doesn't offer silver service, however I believe side dishes are ordered separately and are brought to the table in their own dishes to be shared amongst those who want them.  This isn't uncommon, and isn't silver service.  I've actually had side dishes served like this twice in the last fortnight.

The Ivy doesn't offer silver service, however I believe side dishes are ordered separately and are brought to the table in their own dishes to be shared amongst those who want them.  This isn't uncommon, and isn't silver service.  I've actually had side dishes served like this twice in the last fortnight.

You're quite correct Duncan - vegetables were served in side dishes at the Ivy. I do recall that now, as my friend's steak was served rare but should have been medium and they took m plate away too and brought completely new meals for both of us - including new 'side' dishes. It was towards the end of last year I was there for lunch and very nice it was too.  It's dreadful when one's memory isn't what it used to be. I'm old before my time! :unsure:

cheers

Harvey

You're quite correct Duncan - vegetables were served in side dishes at the Ivy. I do recall that now, as my friend's steak was served rare but should have been medium and they took m plate away too and brought completely new meals for both of us - including new 'side' dishes. It was towards the end of last year I was there for lunch and very nice it was too.  It's dreadful when one's memory isn't what it used to be. I'm old before my time! :unsure:

cheers

Harvey

Harvey,

They say keep young in body and mind, don't give in to it keep thinking YOUNG. Ron :lol:

I don't think I could be hungry on a cruise if I tried!!

I have always been quite satisfied with the service, I don't feel I need to have my food delivered on a silver platter, and spooned onto my plate. So long as the quality of food is high, the taste enjoyable and the service is pleasant and efficient, I couldn't care less how it is served. (Please don't take that as a cue to start launching food at me!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Having cruised for over 50 years, I can honestly say that the food on P&O is now as good as it ever was. The choices and the variety are far superior to Royal Caribbean and Princess and the portions are according to personal choice. Once your waiter realises that enoy the larger portion, that is what arrives. I mentioned that I liked spinach one night, the following night (and every subsequent night) there it was, enough to make Popeye happy !

I did enjoy silver service but can see why it is fading away.

If you go hungry on a cruise, it can only be your own fault.

Good evening PhilipGordon,It would appear you are at odds with others over food quality who seem to think it has gone down over the years.Personally I cannot comment on that factor as I have only been cruising with P&O over the last 5 years. Where I do differ in opinion to your goodself is on the point of choice and variety being far superior to Royal Caribbean. Ever tried getting proper Hash Browns on P&O instead of that which is passed off as Hash Browns. How about the number of diffferent ways eggs are done, always two different styles of bacon or how about some Corned Beef Hash. Add to this the inexhaustable selection of meats and fruits. Sorry P&O in my humble opinion does not come close and I have only mentioned breakfast.The other point to remember is that prices keep dropping and ships are not sailing full which equals profits not hitting targets so something has to suffer. In many cases it is the food in that cheaper cuts of meat are used and less waiting staff employed.

Guest Solent Richard

Having cruised for over 50 years, I can honestly say that the food on P&O is now as good as it ever was. The choices and the variety are far superior to Royal Caribbean and Princess and the portions are according to personal choice. Once your waiter realises that enoy the larger portion, that is what arrives. I mentioned that I liked spinach one night, the following night (and every subsequent night) there it was, enough to make Popeye happy !

I did enjoy silver service but can see why it is fading away.

If you go hungry on a cruise, it can only be your own fault.

I've never had cause to complain about any food on P&O.

Very often it has been middle of the road plan fare but that is fine by me. I have come to expect a decent level from P&O and have never been disappointed.

I seem to recall their food cycle (menu choice) was around 3 weeks. That too was fine because when on the longer cruises you knew that something would re-appear if you missed it first time round.

This is my picture of a Royal Caribbean offering of kippers for breakfast...

8122106553_dde09f59c6_z.jpg

Says it all really.

Guest Solent Richard

Good evening PhilipGordon,It would appear you are at odds with others over food quality who seem to think it has gone down over the years.Personally I cannot comment on that factor as I have only been cruising with P&O over the last 5 years. Where I do differ in opinion to your goodself is on the point of choice and variety being far superior to Royal Caribbean. Ever tried getting proper Hash Browns on P&O instead of that which is passed off as Hash Browns. How about the number of diffferent ways eggs are done, always two different styles of bacon or how about some Corned Beef Hash. Add to this the inexhaustable selection of meats and fruits. Sorry P&O in my humble opinion does not come close and I have only mentioned breakfast.The other point to remember is that prices keep dropping and ships are not sailing full which equals profits not hitting targets so something has to suffer. In many cases it is the food in that cheaper cuts of meat are used and less waiting staff employed.

Hi OldWorldTraveller.

We will have to agree to disagree on the respective merits of Royal Caribbean and P&O food.

I gave Independence of the Seas a go and was singularly unimpressed.

Good morning Richard, I agree with The Pesky Pirate regarding the look of the kippers. I based my opinion on having cruised, like you, with both RCCI and P&O but many more times with RCCI than P&O. We all get a dish that is not up to standard at times but overall still think that RCCI wins hands down. Yes you are correct we will have to agree to disagree.

Ordering food on a ship requires confidence.  If the dish you fancy has some item not to your liking, just ask for it without. eg Caesar's salad without anchovies, new potatoes instead of chips.  If the alternative is available the waiter will bring it for you. Vegetables are transferable as well. If the veg you like is with another dish, ask for it with your choice.

The worst food ever was on Sapphire Princess, 2 years ago.  we were second sitting.  Big mistake. Most people were either first sitting or Freedom Dining. The food appeared to have been cooked for first and kept warm for second. We ended up in the Buffet most nights where the food was excellent, but I like to be waited on, with a cloth on the table, not bobbing up and down to get food.

• 3 weeks later...