Bumble Bee

Would you pay to reserve your sunbed?

On 31/01/2018 at 2:09 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

It does sound like another way of separating the holiday maker from their wallet. If the poolstaff on ships and at resorts actually did their jobs properly and enforced the policy of not reserving sunbeds this charge would not be necessary. Certainly on cruise ships if they enforced the non reservation rule everyone would be happy and where they do enforce it, it virtually becomes un-necessary as regulars know they will have their their towels and belongings left on the beds removed.

How long before we see "Free All Inclusive, Free On Board Spend and Free Sunbed Package" :D:D

I agree. If cruise staff did their work and enforced the rule it should be ok.  I am past wanting a sun bed for a full day and prefer to sunbathe in the shade on a reclining chair, if warm enough. 

4 hours ago, bac said:

This is the most ridiculous idea. Next will be reserving seats in the theatre followed by seats in the various bars etc. but hush the cruising lines are not making enough money out of us holiday cruisers already - are they?  

You already do have reserved seats in the theatre bac. On Cunard you can reserve one of the boxes with Prosecco , at a cost of course, on other cruise lines seats are reserved for those with certain loyalty levels and on others by travelling in their higher fare levels. Never underestimate the ingenuity of cruise lines.

I wonder if the cruise lines offer prizes at their monthly management meetings to anyone who comes up with a new way to separate the passenger from their wallet…..:lol:

In2003 we went on QE2 and we were able to reserve sunbeds on a particular deck.  When we arrived the member of staff would greet us with a towel, and he knew who we were and where we sat.  I can't remember how much it cost but it certainly added to the holiday.  I would most certainly pay to reserve sunbeds so long as it was not at an outrageous price.

It shouldn’t be possible to book sun beds. To make it fair if you vacate for more than 10 minutes you must collect your belongings and leave it clear for someone else. Too many people leave beds “occupied” over a long lunch or even longer. This is not fair! If everyone adopted my suggestion everyone would get a better share of what’s available. I would have attendants on patrol to enforce this as too many people are selfish and take advantage. 

No, no a 1000 times no. My understanding is that you pay for the sunbed position not the bed itself so if the sun moves and you are left in the shade can you complain? What if your allocated bed is broken, sagging etc as so many are? It's just a way of making more money from the punter. Next thing they'll be changing to use the public loos.

WE always book a balcony cabin, so they can charge what they want for a sun bed I do not care. We have been to a small all adult hotel in Mallorca that has a sign at the pool entrance that states it opens at 9 o'clock if any towels out they will be removed if leaving beds for more than half an hour for lunch please tell attendant or towels will be removed. In two weeks we saw many towels removed. When they came back and saw the attendant he just pointed the sign and walked away. this should happen at every poolside.

to be honest, yes i would, i am too lazy on holiday and always lie in and when i go to the pool 10/11 o'clock it is a struggle to get a bed, so just from pure liaziness, yes! lol

Well I think sunbed availability should be all down to the cruise line and not the passenger. I have seen people put towels on both sides of the ship (top of pool area) so when the sun moves they just move to the appropriate bed. Beats me why anyone would rush to get a sunbed around the pool areas, packed like sardines, food/drinks left on the floor from bringing it out of the restaurant it looks like a cheap 1 star hotel. I like to get as far away from the pool areas on any ship and search the ocean for sea life. Don't get me wrong I love to mix with people just not in that environment it's far too noisy for me. If people want to pay for those sunbeds you can have them with pleasure.

I think there should be staff assigned to the areas and any sunbed which has not been sat on for 1 hour (time for coffee/lunch etc) the towels should be taken off. To me if your intention is to go to on board activities then don't get a sunbed and block it for others use, it is totally selfish. There should also be no reservations of beds before 9am..