WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON WITH CRUISE PRICES?

Towny44 - My only homework required was that I was looking to book the identical cruise for the same time in the following year, and so the comparison required was the new cruise versus what I had paid for the current cruise. They did offer a low deposit, and OBC. However the increase cost of the same cruise 12 months hence didn't even come close to offsetting the increase in what I had paid for the cruise I was on, despite being encouraged to book whilst on board.

Countrygirl - I am not implying that you live in La La Land, and sorry if you took it the wrong way, and were offended. It was not my intention, sorry - and you very clearly demonstrated my case in point. Booking whilst on-board is clearly NOT where good prices are likely to be. 

Garry. Thank you for comments, what I am trying to say is that booking onboard does not always mean you are paying over the top. I check with my agent prior to booking onboard and the price was the same, just a better deposit. BUT like all things the price changes and need to be able to either accept or do something like I did. The benefit of booking onboard is the £50pp deposit which is not to much to lose if you change your mind.

I have a cruise booked for May this year and the price for the same cabin has changed 3 times in the last couple of months.  

54 minutes ago, garrypennington said:

Jenjen - with respect it is nothing like "how much did you pay"

It's about the same if not identical cruise increasing in price by 59% in less than 2 years.

I'm sure we would ALL like to earn 59% on our savings, ISA's and investments, rather than them not being able to keep up with inflation at 3%, wouldn't we?

As I said in an earlier post, it is supply and demand.  If people pay the inflated prices the cruiseline is happy.  If they don’t, prices will drop.  More people are choosing to cruise these days and many of them are new cruisers who have no idea what the price was last year.  We check prices carefully and if the cruise is not priced at the level we want we will wait and see what happens.  We are retired, so our schedule is flexible.  I realize this is not the case for many cruisers.

Sheila

8 hours ago, garrypennington said:

Jenjen - with respect it is nothing like "how much did you pay"

It's about the same if not identical cruise increasing in price by 59% in less than 2 years.

I'm sure we would ALL like to earn 59% on our savings, ISA's and investments, rather than them not being able to keep up with inflation at 3%, wouldn't we?

I think Garry that you might find large changes in the same cruise price, especially when most cruises are launched over 2 years ahead of sailing date.  It is possible that you were comparing the low point on the first cruise against the high point for the same one a year later.  If, like us, you had to book on launch because of the need to secure an accessible cabin, you would notice only a gradual increase due to inflation. 

However cruise prices booked since the Brexit vote and the resultant drop in the pounds value, do show the effect of that change, as fuel, food and probably wages will all be higher as a result. In fact if you look at the US lines you will see an even bigger change in cruise pricing than P&O.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, garrypennington said:

RubyRoo - not quite the subject matter I was referring to BUT you have a very valid point nonetheless. I friend of mine, has booked land based holidays several times, using this type of method. He books a hotel for 2 occupants (minus flights which he books independently with taxi/transfers) which then works out cheaper than booking the same thing as single occupancy. He then arrives at the hotel, minus the plus one. When asked, where is your plus one, he says sorry they were unable to travel this time. Job done. Saves him money on single occupancy supplement and get his holiday all the same. Worth a try me thinks if I was in that situation.

This doesn't always work with cruise lines however.  Hotel rooms are generally sold per room with a maximum occupancy but no minimum.  Cruise prices are always sold on the basis of two people sharing a cabin.  I have heard of solo travellers booking a cruise for 2 pax and then turning up solo and they have been charged an additional single supplement.

afcandrew - it would work IF the cost of two travelling on a cruise was cheaper than a solo traveller after the single supplement was applied. You could theoretically even do it with a fly cruise, assuming that they would allow you to book just the one return flight. You could say that the other occupant is making his or her own way to the ship. Be very interesting that's for sure.

It really is all down to supply & demand and flexible pricing.  Cruise lines will advertise prices that they feel will get their product sold.  Those prices will change regularly under fluid pricing.  Late details may be the best way to get a cheap deal for those that can leave booking that late but that doesn't always work for us solo travellers either.

Interesting comments today.  Looking at Riviera deals today and yet again, the single price is 130% of the double occupancy price.  How can this be justified?  I will certainly try to book and pay for double occupancy if a good deal comes up, but then would make the booking via Bolsover and get the right advice.  Or just give up the thought of a cruise and stay in the UK!!

30 minutes ago, garrypennington said:

afcandrew - it would work IF the cost of two travelling on a cruise was cheaper than a solo traveller after the single supplement was applied. You could theoretically even do it with a fly cruise, assuming that they would allow you to book just the one return flight. You could say that the other occupant is making his or her own way to the ship. Be very interesting that's for sure.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but the unscrupulous companies will say that if you turn up solo when you have booked a contract for two pax, then you have broken your contract and so new pricing applies.  They will then apply whatever price they want.  I have heard of solo pax having that sort of experience.

23 minutes ago, RubyRoo said:

Interesting comments today.  Looking at Riviera deals today and yet again, the single price is 130% of the double occupancy price.  How can this be justified?  I will certainly try to book and pay for double occupancy if a good deal comes up, but then would make the booking via Bolsover and get the right advice.  Or just give up the thought of a cruise and stay in the UK!!

I obviously don't know what your circumstances are but if you can book late it is always worth trying.  I know a solo cruiser who managed to get a good late saver deal with P&O in a double cabin without any single supplement.  Rare perhaps but always possible!   My cruise last week with Marella Cruises was booked in December and I paid about 25% supplement in a cabin designated as single but with double bed.

5 hours ago, RubyRoo said:

The justification given to me when I have asked is that cabins are not just based on two passengers paying the lead in price but also the estimated spend per passenger hence the 130%. I did a talk recently to people within the travel industry and made the point that many hotel rooms and cabins were not being utilised due to single occupancy supplements. In fairness to several of the cruise lines their new ships not only feature a large number of solo cabins but also separate areas for solos if they wish to use them.