dibby444

Credit card surcharge disallowed?

There has been much in the news this week about the new UK/EU payment regulations (taking effect 13th Jan 2018) by which companies will thereafter no longer be allowed to add a surcharge for credit card payments.  Does anyone (on this forum or at Bolsover) know whether this rule will be adhered to when paying for a cruise?  Will the cruise companies (or Bolsover) levy a "surcharge" or some other ingenious "extra" to recoup the money they will lose by this change?  Is it allowed to add "extras" if the price has already been agreed and invoiced?

Bet it won`t save us. They cannot surcharge for credit cards but they can charge an admin or booking fee if they apply it to all booking payment methods. As someone who always pays with a debit card to avoid CC charges I`m guessing I`ll end up paying more too now! :angry:

1 hour ago, jinky said:

Bet it won`t save us. They cannot surcharge for credit cards but they can charge an admin or booking fee if they apply it to all booking payment methods. As someone who always pays with a debit card to avoid CC charges I`m guessing I`ll end up paying more too now! :angry:

Pretty much my thoughts Jinky.

We'll pay one way or another!! :mellow:

HLM.

I have a balance due on a cruise next week, which was not booked through Bolsover.  The agency concerned contacted all those with current bookings to say that after 13th Jan, all payments must be made by Bank Transfer.  Anyone not able to pay by Bank Transfer would be charged a £25 Admin Fee!!!  Within a couple of days, they backtracked on this and sent out an e-mail from the CEO apologising and saying that you could pay any way you wanted and not be charged any extra.

As others have said however, I am sure all the companies will make sure that they do not lose out...

17 hours ago, HLM said:

Pretty much my thoughts Jinky.

We'll pay one way or another!! :mellow:

HLM.

It will probably cost us more ,some traders will just put their prices up and offer no discounts for not using a credit card.

As with the CC charges it all depends on the profit margin, Cruise lines accepted CC with no charge but agent's made a charge?...Davybe

I use a debit card, so avoid the credit card extra charge, so now we will all have to pay a booking fee, or some other extra cost, All will pay one way or another, so looks like bad news all round.

Correct me if I am wrong but Bolsover are no longer charging for using either a credit or debit card. With this in mind it is much better to now use a credit card to pay the holiday bill as you are better protected if there are any problems.

i know some companies have introduced an admin charge but, according to Bolsover staff, Bolsover do not. 😊😎

9 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Bolsover are no longer charging for using either a credit or debit card. With this in mind it is much better to now use a credit card to pay the holiday bill as you are better protected if there are any problems.

i know some companies have introduced an admin charge but, according to Bolsover staff, Bolsover do not. 😊😎

I do hope you're right about this although it will cost Bolsover something, and as more customers switch to credit card maybe even more than now, unless the card providers equalise the cost they apply to debit and credit cards.

I wonder why the eurocrats in Brussels did not consider legislation on the card providers to do just that, so there was no justification for businesses to apply a fee; although that would probably have required much shorter statement periods.

As a small hospitality business taking card payments, this new law is inevitably going to increase front end prices. We pay between 0.8% to 3 % for the pleasure of taking payments by card and have, in the past, made this very clear from the off that this will be added to the bill, the customer can then make the  choice which card they provide. Unfortunately some businesses have been charging more than they are charged by the credit card companies which is why the law has had to change.  For example on a £3000 cruise that would mean absorbing between £24 and £90 per booking, this really does add up over a year. 

Edited by JIZZY

Whilst I think it inevitable that Agents will have to increase prices slightly to account for this, I don't think we as passengers will really notice a difference.  Not everyone pays by credit card so I think any likely increase is likely to be in the region of 0.50% and 0.75%.

The abolition of the credit card charge is a welcome change.  We have booked a P and O cruise sailing in early May and the date for paying the balance is 3 February.  I calculate that P and O will have my money for nearly 14 weeks.  We have been conned for years by Carnival.  I am sure they will find different ways to relieve us of our money but for the time being make the most of it.  Pay by credit card, put the money you owe into a deposit account, pay by the due date and you will also be better protected by the credit card company.  Win win - for the time being ...

59 minutes ago, JCBNottingham said:

The abolition of the credit card charge is a welcome change.  We have booked a P and O cruise sailing in early May and the date for paying the balance is 3 February.  I calculate that P and O will have my money for nearly 14 weeks.  We have been conned for years by Carnival.  I am sure they will find different ways to relieve us of our money but for the time being make the most of it.  Pay by credit card, put the money you owe into a deposit account, pay by the due date and you will also be better protected by the credit card company.  Win win - for the time being ...

You will have been "conned" by nobody those were the T&Cs you agreed when you booked the cruise. All cruise lines and holiday companies require balance to be paid in average 12+ weeks before travel so Carnival or P&O are no different than anyone else.

43 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

You will have been "conned" by nobody those were the T&Cs you agreed when you booked the cruise. All cruise lines and holiday companies require balance to be paid in average 12+ weeks before travel so Carnival or P&O are no different than anyone else.

The RCI group only require payment 8 weeks before the cruise, and via Bolsover they have always accepted credit cards without a fee, as well as only wanting 10% deposit.

Edited by towny44

36 minutes ago, towny44 said:

The RCI group only require payment 8 weeks before the cruise, and via Bolsover they have always accepted credit cards without a fee, as well as only wanting 10% deposit.

We too book Celebrity and Bolsover have never charged us for using either Visa or Amex, unlike some TA's.  This is why we keep coming back to Bolsover or Celebrity direct.

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that as a result of the new rules which came into place on 13 January 2018, we will no longer be charging ANY fees for credit card payments.

Unlike some other travel agents, we won’t be adding any booking or admin fees to cover the cost of processing card transactions.

If you would like more information on the changes to credit card feescheck out our recent blog post here.

Thanks,

Bolsover Cruise Club 

On 14/01/2018 at 3:19 PM, towny44 said:

Book with RCI then thats your choice but with price of drinks on RCI even though they dont charge for credit cards their drinks prices/tips are extortionate compared to P&O so they can perhaps afford not to charge CC fees and make there money on drink prices and tips so overall you will be worse off.

38 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Book with RCI then thats your choice but with price of drinks on RCI even though they dont charge for credit cards their drinks prices/tips are extortionate compared to P&O so they can perhaps afford not to charge CC fees and make there money on drink prices and tips so overall you will be worse off.

Strangely enough Sinbad on my only RCI cruise, as a Diamond member of the C&A loyalty club from my Celebrity cruises, my on board bar bill was zero; my Diamond membership gave me 3 free drinks between 5:30 and 8:30 every evening which allowed me to drink free wine in the MDR over dinner for the entire 2 weeks.

But I agree with you that tips were more expensive, but outweighed by the far better service you get on RCI than P&O, and overall I felt much better off on Navigator OTS than I would have on P&O. ;)

45 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Don't forget towny44 that had you visited the Diamond Club prior to late dining or after early dining entitles you to free drinks of all types. Most Diamond Clubs will in fact stay open until about 9pm.

After 3 glasses of wine in the MDR I am well over the limit for pushing my wife's wheelchair, even if we do get out before 9:00pm.