P&O Policy reagrding taking alcohol on board

On our Aurora Christmas cruise, we failed to get through the 1L of gin we took, in contrast to previous cruises to warmer climes, so the limit didn't really affect us. The bottle of Prosecco though disappeared quickly. Overall, can't praise the Christmas cruise enough, even if a force 9 stopped us getting into Amsterdam.

I do get the feeling that P&O are still "on the make", so to speak, in very minor ways.  On previous cruises, 2 washing powder tablets were 60p, whilst on Aurora, the washing capsules were £1 each. A trivial issue, but things like this leave one with the feeling that inflation rises much faster on P&O than in the world outside.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are due to go on one of the cruises they have just released to replace the 50 day one cancelled on Oriana in Jan ( excellent deal for black Friday just could not resist  )  Just received all of our

i just dont get the need to take your own booze on board. if i wanted to splash out on a cabin with a balcony i can understand the attraction of a sundowner but if i am paying that much extra to get a

I really don't understand why so many people are getting upset about the restrictions to be enforced with regard to 'spirits' taken on board, if we are to believe what most folk say then they only wan

p o getting to big brother ish so glad Ive finished with PO, bothem them and their attitudes towards cruisers have gone down the pan. Their standards have fallen a lot, some of the behavior onboard has been awful by some passangers, and it had been reported but nothing done by officers on board.

I have experienced bad behavior more than once and reported it, but sod all was done. so glad we have no more to do with them.

47 minutes ago, Steve54 said:

I do get the feeling that P&O are still "on the make", so to speak, in very minor ways.  On previous cruises, 2 washing powder tablets were 60p, whilst on Aurora, the washing capsules were £1 each. A trivial issue, but things like this leave one with the feeling that inflation rises much faster on P&O than in the world outside.

On Oriana in December we noticed that the bar prices had increased a fair bit & we no longer had a dish of sweets in the cabin among other little touches that seemed to have vanished.

In replyto wolfgang i take exception tothe comment yobs in wheelchairs may i remd him/her that most people would rather not be in a wheelchair and who is the yob.

and why should you not be able to wear threequarter trousers after 70  i hope i  never havethe misfortune

to meet  wolfgang on a cruse

On 23 November 2017 at 8:12 PM, iknowlescourier said:
2 hours ago, Valmay said:

2 hours ago, Valmay said:

and why should you not be able to wear threequarter trousers after 70  

Sorry about all the quote boxes - the I-pad had a funny turn & I can't get rid of them.

Valmay, my husband calls them his TORTS as they are a cross between Trousers & shORTS. He doesn't like wearing shorts ashore but wearing trousers makes him feel overdressed so they are a good compromise.

• 2 weeks later...

As I booked our latest cruise prior to the new policy I do believe it to be a significant change in contract and have contacted P and O regarding the matter.

Their response was that is is a purely commercial decision and that they do not see it as a significant change in contract.

So we shall drink our gin and tonics using room service or the minibar if sufficiently stocked, I shall tally up the amount at the end of the cruise and I intend to recover the insignificant amount from them.

Their pre prepared response appears to have been written by the accounts department and not the customer services department, all it has done is ensured that we will pick up on the smallest details and gratuities will be in keeping with service received if not paid personally.

1 hour ago, Big_Al said:

As I booked our latest cruise prior to the new policy I do believe it to be a significant change in contract and have contacted P and O regarding the matter.

Their response was that is is a purely commercial decision and that they do not see it as a significant change in contract.

So we shall drink our gin and tonics using room service or the minibar if sufficiently stocked, I shall tally up the amount at the end of the cruise and I intend to recover the insignificant amount from them.

Their pre prepared response appears to have been written by the accounts department and not the customer services department, all it has done is ensured that we will pick up on the smallest details and gratuities will be in keeping with service received if not paid personally.

What is the problem? If you like G&T and there are 2 of you then you can take 2 litre  bottles onboard with you. It looks like P&O then offer a bottle purchase if you need more. Personally we only have a drink while getting ready then we are off to either meet friends or watch the world go by with a cocktail (or 2) in our hands.

I only hope you are not getting all worked up for a 3 night cruise 😂😂😂.

50 minutes ago, HLM said:

As I've already pointed out I don't agree with it and never will, but considering they can't even enforce their own dress code policy the chances are they won't be capable of enforcing this.

HLM.

Do not bet to much money on it HLM.

Other cruise lines have such policies regarding Tacking drink's onboard and do enforce them.

my BIL thought he had the perfect plan to get his Brandy on a Celebrity ship, even covers by his wife Junk Jewellery  they found it in his case , he got it back at the end of the cruise....Davybe

I really don't understand why so many people are getting upset about the restrictions to be enforced with regard to 'spirits' taken on board, if we are to believe what most folk say then they only want a drink whilst 'getting ready' so I would think 2 litres would be more than enough for the average two week cruise :rolleyes: if it isn't then the provision is there to order more via your cabin steward.

Personally I think 'some' of those doing the most complaining are those who have no intention of 'flashing their cash' in the bars, we wouldn't go to our 'local' and take our own 'booze' so why should it be expected that P&O or any other cruise line should welcome it, it's rather like the charge which has been brought in for room service .. too many people using it as their own personal 'butler service' on sea days so have therefore spoilt it for everyone.

Cruise prices have never been cheaper and yet  there are still passengers who want to take the #### !!  

14 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I really don't understand why so many people are getting upset about the restrictions to be enforced with regard to 'spirits' taken on board, if we are to believe what most folk say then they only want a drink whilst 'getting ready' so I would think 2 litres would be more than enough for the average two week cruise :rolleyes: if it isn't then the provision is there to order more via your cabin steward.

Personally I think 'some' of those doing the most complaining are those who have no intention of 'flashing their cash' in the bars, we wouldn't go to our 'local' and take our own 'booze' so why should it be expected that P&O or any other cruise line should welcome it, it's rather like the charge which has been brought in for room service .. too many people using it as their own personal 'butler service' on sea days so have therefore spoilt it for everyone.

Cruise prices have never been cheaper and yet  there are still passengers who want to take the #### !!  

Couldn't agree with you more Dancing Queen. People getting so upset about having their booze limit decreased makes me wonder if the fact you can take booze on board is the main reason they choose P&O. A litre bottle of spirits is equal to 40 single measures. That's almost 3 G&T's per night on a 2 week cruise. If that equals a "Quick drink in the cabin whilst getting ready' I dread to think the state of their livers.

22 hours ago, Davybe said:

Do not bet to much money on it HLM.

Other cruise lines have such policies regarding Tacking drink's onboard and do enforce them.

my BIL thought he had the perfect plan to get his Brandy on a Celebrity ship, even covers by his wife Junk Jewellery  they found it in his case , he got it back at the end of the cruise....Davybe

Time will tell I suppose.

HLM.

21 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

we wouldn't go to our 'local' and take our own 'booze' so why should it be expected that P&O or any other cruise line should welcome it,

Not the same, the difference being my local pub don't charge to enter they're establishment, they profit from what I spend once inside, unlike cruiselines.

HLM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 4:39 PM, loveholidays53 said:

We are due to go on one of the cruises they have just released to replace the 50 day one cancelled on Oriana in Jan ( excellent deal for black Friday just could not resist  )  Just received all of our paperwork with the updated email. We have no issues with the new alcohol policy as P&O drinks are by far the cheapest cruise line. We are also happy re: the personalised slogan tee shirts we had someone in the dining room in the evening in October and no one stopped him coming in so hopefully people will get the message. If you want to look like that stop at home and drink cheap booze. I am not a snob and I very much like the casual evenings but I still make an effort just as I do at home when I go out for a meal.  Well done P&O, I feel both these things are long overdue.  :rolleyes:

Yes, they joined all together with the 35 day one which we booked and were on - travelling like sardines!