P&O Policy reagrding taking alcohol on board

12 hours ago, HLM said:

For what it's worth my opinion is that it is purely down to profiteering.

There has been a steady decline with P&O since 'Carnival' took over the brand.

We've seen introduced lots more addional cost activities, such as more speciality restaurants, cooking classes, bridge tours etc, etc, you name it you pay for it.

Gratuities have more than doubled and now a dramatic change to what alcohol one can take on board.

I wouldn't mind betting that within 12 months onboard bar prices increase and they introduce the 15% service charge.

Then we'll see how happy people are with it's introduction.

HLM.

Very similar things have happened on most mass market cruise lines and has nothing to do with Carnival plc that is just a poor excuse used by everyone.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are due to go on one of the cruises they have just released to replace the 50 day one cancelled on Oriana in Jan ( excellent deal for black Friday just could not resist  )  Just received all of our

i just dont get the need to take your own booze on board. if i wanted to splash out on a cabin with a balcony i can understand the attraction of a sundowner but if i am paying that much extra to get a

I really don't understand why so many people are getting upset about the restrictions to be enforced with regard to 'spirits' taken on board, if we are to believe what most folk say then they only wan

We've seen introduced lots more additional cost activities, such as more speciality restaurants, cooking classes, bridge tours etc, etc, you name it you pay for it.

Agreed and of course not forgetting the recent charging for a large percentage of room service and coupled with mediocre entertainment and a drop in the quality of on board cuisine you do question  what we are actually paying for? These holidays are not cheap for sure.

I choose my cruises with P&O very carefully these days,and I used to be such a big fan but  there is so much competition it pays to shop around.

10 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Very similar things have happened on most mass market cruise lines and has nothing to do with Carnival plc that is just a poor excuse used by everyone.

Many of which fall under the 'Carnival' banner!!!

I don't use excuses I tell it as I see it, but I understand and respect that others have differing opinions.

It may well be just coincidence, but the way I see it is most of the implemented changes and extra charges have occurred since P&O were taken over, by Carnival Corporation.

HLM.

4 hours ago, HLM said:

I don't use excuses I tell it as I see it, but I understand and respect that others have differing opinions.

It may well be just coincidence, but the way I see it is most of the implemented changes and extra charges have occurred since P&O were taken over, by Carnival Corporation.

HLM.

No they dont Celebrity and Royal Caribbean  are not owned by Carnival and they charge for speciality restaurants and many cruise lines are introducing cookery schools/bridge tours and other activities at cost. The cookery school was first introduced on Britannia in 2015 14yrs since Carnival took over P&O if they were in that big a rush to introduce it they would have put a cookery school on Arcadia/Azura/Ventura all built since Carnival took over. If you tell it as you see it then compare with other cruise lines and see that they are doing similar and the reason why to keep initial cruise fare low nobody forces you to book any extra prices. Look at prices now and compare to when Carnival took over and you see that they are very good value. We paid over £100pppn in cheapest inside cabin on QE2 in 1997 today you can get a balcony for the equivalent. Also there was no choice only MDR or buffet it wasnt as if it was available but free just no choice. The market demands these things on cruise lines as choice and even though not everybody wants to spend once on board  some do. It seems to me that there are too many on P&O expect to pay cheap cruise fares as they are now everything free and take their own alcohol onboard, with the recent many moans by so many, so they dont have to purchase anything whatsoever.

7 hours ago, HLM said:

HLM.

You may well be right regarding the timing but the takeover of P&O by Carnival has coincided with massive changes to middle-market cruising.  Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity, MSC and Disney (none of which is part of Carnival) all feature a number of alternative restaurants you have to pay for as well as things like Coffee Bars where beverages cost extra.  Personally, I feel the 'for fee' culture has been driven largely by Royal Caribbean and NCL, who also 'led the charge' to ever-bigger ships.

I also firmly believe that - sadly - if P&O had remained independent, either we would now be paying significantly higher fares or - worst case scenario - P&O Cruises would have gone out of business.

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

You may well be right regarding the timing but the takeover of P&O by Carnival has coincided with massive changes to middle-market cruising.  Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity, MSC and Disney (none of which is part of Carnival) all feature a number of alternative restaurants you have to pay for as well as things like Coffee Bars where beverages cost extra.  Personally, I feel the 'for fee' culture has been driven largely by Royal Caribbean and NCL, who also 'led the charge' to ever-bigger ships.

I also firmly believe that - sadly - if P&O had remained independent, either we would now be paying significantly higher fares or - worst case scenario - P&O Cruises would have gone out of business.

When it was finally agreed that Carnival were taking over P&O we were on a cruise on Aurora and received a letter explaing it all delivered to our cabins. At the time it was all done and dusted that RCCL were taking over P&O/Princess and Carnival jumped in and trumped them at the last minute. Rumour had it then and has stayed ever since that Carnival only took over P&O because they really only wanted Princess. At the loyalty club party on that cruise there were many comments about what was happening and the Captain said that without the amalgamation of P&O whether it be with Carnival/RCCL that P&O wouldnt survive on their own and could not afford any more new ships after Aurora and needed the investment to stay in business.

19 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

No they dont Celebrity and Royal Caribbean  are not owned by Carnival and they charge for speciality restaurants and many cruise lines are introducing cookery schools/bridge tours and other activities at cost. The cookery school was first introduced on Britannia in 2015 14yrs since Carnival took over P&O if they were in that big a rush to introduce it they would have put a cookery school on Arcadia/Azura/Ventura all built since Carnival took over. If you tell it as you see it then compare with other cruise lines and see that they are doing similar and the reason why to keep initial cruise fare low nobody forces you to book any extra prices. Look at prices now and compare to when Carnival took over and you see that they are very good value. We paid over £100pppn in cheapest inside cabin on QE2 in 1997 today you can get a balcony for the equivalent. Also there was no choice only MDR or buffet it wasnt as if it was available but free just no choice. The market demands these things on cruise lines as choice and even though not everybody wants to spend once on board  some do. It seems to me that there are too many on P&O expect to pay cheap cruise fares as they are now everything free and take their own alcohol onboard, with the recent many moans by so many, so they dont have to purchase anything whatsoever.

You appear to think I'm arguing with you Sinbad which I'm not, it's just my opinion.

like I said in a previous post I truly believe there's been a steady decline with P&O since Carnival took over, incidentally the same can be said of Cunard.

Base prices have come down I grant you that, but so have standards and quality especially in the MDR, add to that a significant increase to ones onboard spend with things such as speciality restaurants, increased gratuities, additional cost activities that used to be free, I believe P&O/Carnival make more now that they've ever done.

I'm not overly bothered whether I can or can't take alcohol onboard, but on longer cruises we like to have a swift bevy or two in our cabin before going out for the evening, not necessarily about money but the reality is it saves at least £150 over a couple of weeks, so it is a factor for some albeit not a deal breaker for me.

All things considered I just see the move as another way to extract more from my wallet in order to keep their base prices lower, some may not see it that way others will.

I will watch with interest in the future to see whether onboard alcohol prices increase and if they introduce the service charge as they have on other brands.

HLM.

14 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Captain said that without the amalgamation of P&O whether it be with Carnival/RCCL that P&O wouldnt survive on their own and could not afford any more new ships after Aurora and needed the investment to stay in business.

Did the captain say the same about these?

AIDA Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, Fathom, Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn etc, etc.

I'm not in a position to comment on P&O's financial situation at the time of sale, but I can't see Carnival attempting to buy a failing business, it must of been clearly viable at the time, all Carnival done was to buy out the competition.

HLM.

Carnival wasnt buying a failing company they wanted there hands on Princess which had a big American market and the only way to get it was to merge with P&O. The Captain was talking of P&O at the time was a company on its own with just Princess and Aida he said without the investment from Carnival or RCCL that P&O would not be able to build any more new ships so would not be able to compete with Carnival and RCCL. Costa, Holland America, Cunard and Seabourn were already owned by Carnival when they purchased P&O in 2003 and of course Fathom was a short lived idea not started until 2015 and only lasted until 2017.

With your statement that standards have dropped since the merger of 2003 with Carnival you only have to read Celebrity, RC forums and they equally moan about dropping in standards of food served and more things at cost. To appeal to mass market and not the well off they had to lower costs to attract people who had never cruised before and fill the bigger ships which were being built. When we first started cruising in 1997 the only choice with P&O was Oriana and Canbera and Cunard was QE2 and Caronia where the prices were very expensive comparing to today's prices but very little choice of different restaurants or coffee outlets. What was most laughable was on Aurora's one of 4 maiden cruises lol P&O regulars complained about it was too big compared to Oriana and Victoria which has been repeated on all new ships many times since.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be cruising for 35 nights so does that mean we can take more than 1 litre on board at the beginning of our cruise? How will they sort out that anomaly? This is not "penny pinching" as some have mentioned but more that we always have a bottle of booze at home just to be able to help ourselves to, at any time, whenever we choose and without calling it in from cabin staff.

Most importantly, we feel this is something we should have been told about before we paid our final balance for the cruise rather than just after!

We'll see how it goes but feeling just a little disappointed as our last cruise with P&O had no such rules or restrictions.

3 hours ago, RubyCruise said:

Will be cruising for 35 nights so does that mean we can take more than 1 litre on board at the beginning of our cruise? How will they sort out that anomaly? This is not "penny pinching" as some have mentioned but more that we always have a bottle of booze at home just to be able to help ourselves to, at any time, whenever we choose and without calling it in from cabin staff.

Most importantly, we feel this is something we should have been told about before we paid our final balance for the cruise rather than just after!

We'll see how it goes but feeling just a little disappointed as our last cruise with P&O had no such rules or restrictions.

Depends when your cruise starts if it is after 1st February then you will only be allowed 1 litre per person any extra you try to take on will be taken off you and returned at the end of the cruise. With reference to your statement you should have been told before your final balance was due somebody every day of the year is paying a final balance for a cruise onboard a P&O cruise so impractical and the only way to do it is to announce a date in advance which is what P&O did. Cannot believe as you are implying that if you knew prior to your final balance being due you would have cancelled you holiday and lose a huge amount of cash you have paid as a deposit.

4 hours ago, RubyCruise said:

I share your concerns about this anomaly. 1L per person for a 3 day cruise would probably result in sore heads and unruly behaviour but 1L over 35 days would have no adverse effects on other passengers.  A case of one rule which clearly doesn't fit all.

44 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

With reference to your statement you should have been told before your final balance was due somebody every day of the year is paying a final balance for a cruise onboard a P&O cruise so impractical and the only way to do it is to announce a date in advance which is what P&O did.

Just my opinion, but anyone who booked before the announcement should be exempt from the new policy it doesn't matter if it's practical for P&O or not.

As far as I see it at the time of booking this was not mentioned, surely that's a change of the original contractual agreement?

It wouldn't warrant a cancellation if it were me, but it may to others who are on a tighter budget, I'm sure there are lots of people who simply have a drink in their cabin, rather than buying from the  onboard bars.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

Just my opinion, but anyone who booked before the announcement should be exempt from the new policy it doesn't matter if it's practical for P&O or not.

As far as I see it at the time of booking this was not mentioned, surely that's a change of the original contractual agreement?

It wouldn't warrant a cancellation if it were me, but it may to others who are on a tighter budget, I'm sure there are lots of people who simply have a drink in their cabin, rather than buying from the  onboard bars.

HLM.

7Cs.

It would be hard to monitor at Southampton and every port of call to check every passengers date of booking to see if they can take 1 litre or more at Southampton and who to take booze off and those not too at every port of call.

With regards to cancellation that those on a tight budget couldnt afford to cancel prior to final payment and lose hundreds of pounds in deposit. There is no chance P&O letting customers cancel without loss of deposit and P&O and most if not all cruise companies are continually changing rules and T&Cs.

Edited by sinbad10
16 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

As it is thought that alcohol is cheaper to buy on the ship why bother taking it with you. I don’t see the point but then I don’t drink alcohol.

Not really you can buy a nice bottle of wine for under £7 ,but that will cost you around £20 on P&O ,and over £30 on Celebrity?

P&O are cheaper than most major cruise lines, but not as cheap the local pub's .

The price of a pint matters more to some folk ,even more so than the food and service we get on a ship.I save up to go on a cruise ,not go on a cruise to save money...Davybe

On 16 December 2017 at 2:31 PM, sinbad10 said:

There is no chance P&O letting customers cancel without loss of deposit and P&O and most if not all cruise companies are continually changing rules and T&Cs.

To me at the point of sale it becomes a contract, if P&O decide to change that contract after the contractual date then there should be no loss to the customer.

Although unlikely, I'd be interested to see the outcome if it was challenged legally.

Regarding monitoring at Southampton etc, that's what computers are for, after all if they want to change the rules they should have the tools to enforce them.

HLM.

3 hours ago, HLM said:

To me at the point of sale it becomes a contract, if P&O decide to change that contract after the contractual date then there should be no loss to the customer.

Although unlikely, I'd be interested to see the outcome if it was challenged legally.

Regarding monitoring at Southampton etc, that's what computers are for, after all if they want to change the rules they should have the tools to enforce them.

HLM.

It would never be challenged in court because so many things can and do change once you have booked a cruise. We recently did a cruise on QE and one of the speakers advertised for months on Cunard's website as a speaker for our cruise never appeared with no excuse. I am sure if this happened on P&O some one would be whinging that they only booked that cruise for that speaker and want compensation. P&O would have run any decision past their legal department before the decision was made.

18 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It would never be challenged in court because so many things can and do change once you have booked a cruise. We recently did a cruise on QE and one of the speakers advertised for months on Cunard's website as a speaker for our cruise never appeared with no excuse. I am sure if this happened on P&O some one would be whinging that they only booked that cruise for that speaker and want compensation. P&O would have run any decision past their legal department before the decision was made.

Not quite the same I feel, somethings just can't be predicted entertainment and ports of call etc are always subject to change which the policy clearly states, it doesn't mention such a thing in the old alcohol policy.

I still believe that all those who booked before the official announcement should be exempt, will it happen? Of course it won't.

HLM.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased about the new policy on taking drinks aboard and the ban on inappropriate clothing.

Too many people are using short cruises as stag or hen parties with the sole intention of getting as drunk as possible as quickly as possible and spoiling the cruise for everyone else.

Royal Caribbean, have had the policy for some years that one may bring bottles of drinks aboard from various ports of call as long as they were surrendered to security for safe keeping and delivered to your cabin on the last day of the cruise.

P&O's policy of allowing one litre of alcohol per passenger upon initial embarkation seems perfectly fair to me.

I for one am getting fed up with the number of chavs downgrading what should be a special experience to most.

Edited by Spadger44
Predictive text problem

This is of course another thin edge of the wedge and as Carnival shareholders we have an interest in their attempts to increase revenue. At the same time, as cruisers, we will do what we can to minimise how these measures affect our cruises. When we go on the world cruise in 8 days we will take 6 bottles of bubbly, a bottle of gin, some tonic and some packets of our favourite nibbles for our balcony drinks as the sun goes over the yard arm. Our pre dinner drinks in Anderson will now probably be soda and lime where previously we would have tried the cocktail of the day on the basis it was reduced (any excuse would do!).  We will havd less wine at the table and make more use of the gym I am told. We will tell our stewards and table staff we have opted out of the auto deduction process. (Experience tells us this insures a good level of service) We will have the cabin bar emptied insuring no "accidental" charges appear on our account. We definately spend less on board now than we use to but still have a great time despite the cost cutting measures P & O have introduced over the last few years. We did one 3 day booze cruise and never again!

It's a great way to see the world but not to experience it and we will continue doing it for a few more years.

Surely 1litre per person is enough to supplement on board drinking!!  I didn’t find the gin cocktails too pricey onboard Oceana last year.  To answer those who mentioned a balcony cabin whilst ‘scrimping’ on onboard drinking: some people need to have a balcony due to feeling slightly claustrophobic with just a window and some people don’t consume as much alcohol as others.  Horses for courses!!