Oriana X801 6 January 50 nights cancelled?

12 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

Oriana is doing the Canary Islands on 30th January and 11th February both 12 nights they ought to offer them as a very cheap alternative together with full refund and compensation to those affected with free upgrades and drink packages as well. I doubt that will happen....

They are offering them as a cheap alternative to the general public - I have just had a mail-out from Bolsover - Canary Islands 30th Jan or 11th Feb for 12 nights, £449!  The 2-nighter on 23rd Feb £129.

57 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

I wouldnt go on principle over the way P&O have treated those on cancelled  50nt cruise. P&O deserve to have no bookings but people will have no principles and just look at bargain price and selfishly book it.

I'm not sure that simply booking a cruise at a good price has anything at all to do with selfishness and principles.  Any more than getting a good price after the Costa Concordia disaster hit prices, or buying a copy of the Daily Mail despite its support for the Nazis in the 1930s.  Actually, that last one IS a matter of principle!

22 minutes ago, doca said:

I'm not sure that simply booking a cruise at a good price has anything at all to do with selfishness and principles.  Any more than getting a good price after the Costa Concordia disaster hit prices, or buying a copy of the Daily Mail despite its support for the Nazis in the 1930s.  Actually, that last one IS a matter of principle!

We all have differing principles and standards and all I can say that I would never book one of the cruises whatever the price.

as the dates coincide with the end of the 50 nighter p&o should allow those affected to go back to back for free and then refund them the 50 nighter at the prices theyre offering them at it wouldnt cost them much more and although 24 nights of the same ports isnt the same as was planned it would be better pr.

Well we've booked one of them as the price was so good & we have had to book a higher grade cabin than usual as a lot of cabin grades have already sold out after less than an hour on sale so a lot of people obviously want to enjoy a bargain holiday at a dreary time of year. I wouldn't have known about these cruises if I hadn't read it in the post from afcandrew so thank you. Booked directly with P & O as not showing on Bolsover site yet & anyway they don't open until 9am.

1 hour ago, 2torts said:

Well we've booked one of them as the price was so good & we have had to book a higher grade cabin than usual as a lot of cabin grades have already sold out after less than an hour on sale so a lot of people obviously want to enjoy a bargain holiday at a dreary time of year. I wouldn't have known about these cruises if I hadn't read it in the post from afcandrew so thank you. Booked directly with P & O as not showing on Bolsover site yet & anyway they don't open until 9am.

You are very welcome 2torts.  If I wasn't off to the Caribbean late January, I would have booked one of these.  I know someone who got a mid-ship outside cabin for about £850 as a solo passenger, which I would have been very pleased with.  I do appreciate the 'principles' argument but this would have been too good to miss.

sorry sinbad i have to disagree with you there.

whilst i like many others think p&o are taking the mick others shouldnt be criticised for booking a cruise at a good price.

hopefully p&o will shift their compensation into line with their american operations as has already been said on here ncl etc offer far more in the immediate aftermath of a problem and then listen to other issues and add on obc or upgrades as well.their immovable attitude and some of their statements on twitter i think are particularly bad. they should at the very least hear people out regarding their expences particularly having seen what some have paid for medical ins. although if i had that much wrong with me i wouldnt be going on a 50 day cruise.

i am going to try and get on the 30 jan cruise if theres any left.

I do understand your point Sinbad and admire you for your principles.  I guess though that you then have to ask how far do you take the principles?  Never cruise with P&O again?  Regrettably, standing up for principles in this case only will not do anything to harm P&O as at the prices on offer, the cruises will sell like the proverbial hot-cakes.

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry just proves to me that people dont care about those that have been seriously let down by P&O and will have no doubt lose a lot of money preparing for the 50nt cruise that whatever P&O say they will not reimburse. Its a sad case of "I am alright Jack I got a bargain dont care about others".

Sorry but that's utter nonsense.

1 How does making a bargain booking in any way adversely affect anybody that P&O let down?

2 How would not making such a booking in any way help those same people?

3 Presumably you'll stick by your 'principles' and refuse to take any more cruises with any Carnival owned companies such as P&O?

Has it been taken into account, the people booked on the 50 night cruise, could have had a terrible time in the middle of the sea with the ships engines not working!

P and O have booked the ship in to get this work undertaken, not just for the fun of it to hack passengers off, and the passengers booked on that cruise will be able to book one of the 12 Day cruises maybe even first befor they went on general sale.

Weldone to those who got a good deal

On the first cruise we booked - Christmas and New Year 2009 on Artemis - we booked for 28 nights going from Barbados through the Panama Canal and to Acapulco and then back again.   This was cancelled a few days before the balance was due; P&O said something about it being changeover day and people having to travel over the Christmas period - as if 'people' didn't know that before they booked!  The compensation offered was £50 pp per cruise.   I see that little has changed.  

ps The £50 pp was in the form of OBC for the next cruise booked. 

Edited by Mayway
  • 1 month later...

We were caught up in this mean scheme of P&O. We transferred to the Ventura 35 nighter departing 5th Feb. N804. The end result cost us more than the 50 night X801. No deals, an acceptable decent midship cabin meant paying more. Less on board spend, worse itinerary. A moan to Paul Ludlow the idiot VP at P&O gets you nowhere, just quotes T&C's. A polite 'get stuffed' from his minions. Very disappointed after 12yrs of loyal cruising with P&O. This will be our last, on principle. Take our money some place else.  There.... I feel better now!