Oriana X801 6 January 50 nights cancelled?

Is this true, or just a hoax?

"We apologise to those guests due to travel on Oriana's X801 but our technical team has advised us that it is necessary for Oriana to undergo a three week technical maintenance from January 6 2018. As a result we will be cancelling this cruise. 

We have contacted all those affected guests today and we are extremely sorry for the late notice and disruption.

Paul Ludlow. Senior Vice President, P&O Cruises"

wow bit short notice really.very inconveniant for any one booked. it must take some organising to go on such a long cruise and for it to be cancelled 6 weeks before i would not be pleased. the compensation etc better be good but somehow i doubt it.

many moons ago when the wife was alive we had flown to miami for a cruise on ncl's ss norway which in a previous incarnation was the ss france one of the real old ocean liners literally just after lifeboat drill as we were due to sail the engines failed. we were then held for 24 hrs before they decided it was cancelled. it was chaos sorting return flights etc. ncl gave you a refund and a credit note to the same value as you paid for the cruise and as it turned out when we came to book a replacement cruise the following year a massive upgrade.

in hindsight they handled it pretty well all things considered but at the time there was so little information and it seemed it always took forever to get any sort of decision or answer you were just boiling mad.

P&O are offering 5% of any future cruise booked as compensation, plus a refund?

Not really a good offer, Even if the problem was not predictable,

One American we sailed with got a full refund including Airfare plus a free cruise to the same value, when Celebrity had engine problem's on one ship....Davybe

Pretty shabby treatment by Carnival/P&O, given that it's going to be very difficult for early bookers to get anything like the deals they will have got on this.  Rumours already that the real reason is that it was underbooked and cheaper for Carnival to cancel this cruise than have the work done later.

They're looking after the agents, though - they know who's really important to them!

“P&O Cruises will be paying agent commission on X801 cancelled sailings. If agents are able to transfer guests on to an alternative sailing they will also receive their standard commission on the new booking plus the commission on the X801 booking.”

1 hour ago, doca said:

Pretty shabby treatment by Carnival/P&O, given that it's going to be very difficult for early bookers to get anything like the deals they will have got on this.  Rumours already that the real reason is that it was underbooked and cheaper for Carnival to cancel this cruise than have the work done later.

They're looking after the agents, though - they know who's really important to them!

“P&O Cruises will be paying agent commission on X801 cancelled sailings. If agents are able to transfer guests on to an alternative sailing they will also receive their standard commission on the new booking plus the commission on the X801 booking.”

This is bizzare, why would P&O advise their guests of what they are doing for their agents? What has that really got to do with customers? I have a family member who was booked on this cruise and none of the information they have recieved from P&O or Bolsover mentions anything about the agent commisson.

14 minutes ago, Ahoy said:

This is bizzare, why would P&O advise their guests of what they are doing for their agents? What has that really got to do with customers? I have a family member who was booked on this cruise and none of the information they have recieved from P&O or Bolsover mentions anything about the agent commisson.

They haven't - for obvious reasons.  That was taken from an agents' website.

even so the travel agents commission on each booking isnt that high, p&o messed up when sending me a copy of my invoice/itinery they sent me the agents copy which detailed the agents commission on that cruise booking. i have to say i was suprised it wasnt as high as i thought it would be. so they have to book a hell of a lot of cruises if the p&o commission is anything to go by.

Exactly, a friend of mine used to work as a travel agent and has told me all about it and some of the things she told me would completely put me off working in that industry if that was what i was looking to do! I think people assume the agents earn a large amount on their bookings but actually it works out to be very little to what they imagine.

I don't think anybody's suggesting that agents don't earn their commission (they're not in business just for fun).  Just, perhaps, that P&O need to look after their customers (without whom there'd be no agents) as well.

Agents will have been put to a lot of trouble over this fiasco - but not remotely as much as the poor customers who have been let down by P&O without adequate compensation.  In the US it would have been very different, I suspect.

17 hours ago, Ahoy said:

Exactly, a friend of mine used to work as a travel agent and has told me all about it and some of the things she told me would completely put me off working in that industry if that was what i was looking to do! I think people assume the agents earn a large amount on their bookings but actually it works out to be very little to what they imagine.

I think there is a little confusion here .. the travel agent receives a % payment so to speak from the cruise line, I believe in the form of they buy the cruise at a much reduced rate to what the customer can, they then add their mark up to it to sell to us and from those profits they pay their cruise consultants a set amount for each booking they take which isn't much, this is of course is only hearsay told to me by someone who works in the industry so I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Basically what the travel agent earns from this fiasco will be no different plus they will earn additional commission on whatever they resell be it with P&O or some other cruise company it's the consultants I feel sorry for who will be taking all the flak on the end of a phone and for what .. peanuts !!

15 hours ago, Jenjen said:

If this cruise is cancelled which was a 50 night cruise, and the plan to take the ship for 3 week refit which is 21 or 22 nights they must put a cruise on 26 nights, or will they do a much more intensive refit?

I understand that Oriana will do 2 x 12-night Atlantic Islands itineraries and 1 x 2-nighter.

1 hour ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I think there is a little confusion here .. the travel agent receives a % payment so to speak from the cruise line, I believe in the form of they buy the cruise at a much reduced rate to what the customer can, they then add their mark up to it to sell to us and from those profits they pay their cruise consultants a set amount for each booking they take which isn't much, this is of course is only hearsay told to me by someone who works in the industry so I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Basically what the travel agent earns from this fiasco will be no different plus they will earn additional commission on whatever they resell be it with P&O or some other cruise company it's the consultants I feel sorry for who will be taking all the flak on the end of a phone and for what .. peanuts !!

1 hour ago, mitch said:

the invoice i incorrectly received showed the cost of the cruise deposit etc and a line that detailed the commission due to the travel agent ie bolsover.all from p&o so definateley not a case of p&o selling them the cruise and bolsover adding a mark up.

yes dancing queen that is incorrect, think thats how they did it years ago, what mitch says is correct and is in line with what a friend in the industry has told me before

i dont think we should get bogged down with what agents do or dont get i think it detracts from the main issue.

the compensation from p&o is derisory and in no way compensates for the inconveniance or the costs elsewhere that people have incurred.

i havent looked at the itinery but visa costs, extra insurance costs,car parking hotels travel etc. let alone the sheer embuggerence of having to sort something else.

will insurence pick up those costs? what about the inevitable excess. i bet given the age of some off p&o's clients the health insurance alone would be pricey for a 50 night cruise. it would be interesting to see what people are actually out of pocket after the event. p&o ought to do some research and find out what the real cost is and then build that information into their future offers.