My wife and I have booked a P and O cruise on Arcadia next year which calls in at the Indian port of Mormugao. Recently we received a email from Iglu whom we booked the cruise through informing us that to enter the country we will require a visa. Naively we were unaware of this and I am of the opinion that Iglu should have informed us when we booked the cruise . We went on the CIBT website and it appears it will cost us £110 pp for a visa .We ask ourselves is it worth it for one day.Any thoughts?

When we went on a cruise that visited India, we were not allowed to board our ship until they had seen our Indian visa. A few who had not done theirs were left ashore to arrange and then had to catch the ship at another port, so great extra expense incurred by not reading the T’s & C’s 

i would get a visa it is a small price to pay as it is a wonderful experience if you have not been to India before, don’t miss a great holiday.

from the cibt website.

India: P&O recommend against obtaining eVisas for India.  Although India has recently introduced electronic visas, the sea ports the ship is visiting have limited capability and infrastructure to support the processing of large numbers of guests with this type of visa and very long clearance delays would be inevitable. This is due to the additional process requirements such as scanning of fingerprints and passports.  In order for you to proceed ashore quickly it is important that you obtain a standard tourist visa. The visa is normally in the form of a sticker in your passport and must be obtained prior to boarding the ship.

you can still apply directly to indian gov on their website. doesnt say what the cost is though.

It's it the T and C of booking you need valid visas and you passport must have six months after disembarking date, it's in the cruise personaliser which you need to have compleated prior to sailing.

I think this has been the case for quite a long time it will affect you getting the eticket, it also says it's your responsibility to have the correct documentation 

On 21/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, midhusband said:

My wife and I have booked a P and O cruise on Arcadia next year which calls in at the Indian port of Mormugao. Recently we received a email from Iglu whom we booked the cruise through informing us that to enter the country we will require a visa. Naively we were unaware of this and I am of the opinion that Iglu should have informed us when we booked the cruise . We went on the CIBT website and it appears it will cost us £110 pp for a visa .We ask ourselves is it worth it for one day.Any thoughts?

We were caught out and in a similar situation when we enjoyed a leg of the world cruise on Acadia. We are disembarking at Mumbai to fly home and we're advised quite close to our departure that we needed a visa to get off the ship to go directly to the airport for our flight home! Another problem we also encountered was  your passport had to have 12 month or more from its expiry date from the date of your Indian visa.

Needless to say we have not bothered to visit India again.  

If you are travelling with P&O Cruise this is the latest advice for India sent to me by Bolsover Cruise Club

If you see the bottom line I have highlighted, if you are traveling with P&O you may travel without a Visa and stay onboard should you so wish, I double checked this with Bolsover and P&O and its correct.

VIA OUR RECOMMENDED CONSULAR SERVICE:-
It is our experience that obtaining individual visas for India can be very difficult and, therefore, we advise that you make your application through our recommended Consular Service, CIBT (UK) LTD.  As you can't actually apply for your visa until much nearer to your departure and as the rules and forms are constantly changing, we will write to you again approximately three months before your departure and include the latest information and visa pack.

VIA THE INDIAN HIGH COMMISSION:-
If you wish to make an application direct to the Indian High Commission, we suggest you visit their website @ www.hcilondon.in which gives full details or alternatively call 020 86295950.

OBTAIN AN E-VISA
P&O recommend against obtaining eVisas for India.  Although India has recently introduced electronic visas, the sea ports the ship is visiting have limited capability and infrastructure to support the processing of large numbers of guests with this type of visa and very long clearance delays would be inevitable. This is due to the additional process requirements such as scanning of fingerprints and passports.  In order for you to proceed ashore quickly it is important that you obtain a standard tourist visa. The visa is normally in the form of a sticker in your passport and must be obtained prior to boarding the ship.

A guest is only eligible for an eVisa if the first port of call in India is one of the three eligible seaports: Goa/Mormugao, Cochin, Mangalore, if not one of these than a full visa is required.

P&O cruises advise that if you do not hold a visa or E-Visa, you must remain on board the ship when in port in India