Drink prices on P &O

I've just been looking at the drink menus on the P & O website mainly to see which cocktails I fancy on our next cruise & have discovered that they no longer show any prices  except for 14 sample prices which are "subject to change". This seems to be a recent change & I wondered if this means that prices are going up now that they are getting stricter on bringing alcohol on board. Has anyone been on a P & O ship recently & noticed a change  in prices?

6 minutes ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Friend has just come off Aurora and said he thought the price of beer had gone up. He was paying £4 plus for a pint of larger that cost under £ from the supermarket.

It is irrelevant what it costs at the supermarket but just bare in mind we have just returned from Cunard where they sell virtually the same beers and no doubt being part of same company buy in bulk from same supplier for delivery to Southampton for both P&O and Cunard. Cheapest beer same as on P&O was approx £6 which still makes P&O good value for money.

This is another oft-discussed issue.  A lot will depend on where you normally drink.  Prices in supermarkets are irrelevant.  Pub prices in a small town in the north of England are (generally) significantly less than pub prices in the south east or most major city centre pubs anywhere in the UK.

I always say that you must compare cruise ship drink prices with those in a four-star hotel in the UK.  On that basis, P&O drink prices are very reasonable.

Hopefully, P&O will be sensible and not raise prices too quickly - that would be a double-whammy that pax would undoubtedly notice - and take note of in choosing a cruise line.

19 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It is irrelevant what it costs at the supermarket but just bare in mind we have just returned from Cunard where they sell virtually the same beers and no doubt being part of same company buy in bulk from same supplier for delivery to Southampton for both P&O and Cunard. Cheapest beer same as on P&O was approx £6 which still makes P&O good value for money.

Hardly makes them "good value for money" !  Still taking advantage of a captive audience, just to a lesser degree.

17 minutes ago, jinky said:

Hardly makes them "good value for money" !  Still taking advantage of a captive audience, just to a lesser degree.

Again, that depends on what you are comparing with.  Personally, I think a drink aboard a P&O ship is very good value when compared to having a drink in a four-star hotel in the UK - especially when brought to you at your table by a pleasant waiter/waitress who makes conversation and remembers what you drink.

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It might be irrelevant but it was a specific comment made by someone who had just returned from a cruise. Personally I find P&O prices to be good value for money. On our September cruise to Canada and USA I noticed a small increase over our previous, June, cruise but nothing significant.

17 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Again, that depends on what you are comparing with.  Personally, I think a drink aboard a P&O ship is very good value when compared to having a drink in a four-star hotel in the UK - especially when brought to you at your table by a pleasant waiter/waitress who makes conversation and remembers what you drink.

I like you have always thought P&O bar tariffs were very well priced, all things considered.

However is it just coincidence that they are changing their taking alcohol on board policy, and now possibly increasing onboard prices?

I suspect in the near future they'll introduce the 15% service charge in line with other brands such as Cunard.

If they do they really need to up their game.

HLM.

If the price of a pint determines which cruise line you sail with ,your cruising for the wrong reason's.

P&O are not in the same league as Cunard or Celebrity , Premium against standard, much like comparing a pub against a hotel , I keep reading priced against a Supermarket, well no supermarket I know serves it to you and washes the classes after?? 

HML, I believe the service charge is built in the total cost on P%O , Celebrity do the same thing when sailing from Southampton ,save a lot of moaning....Davybe

again its the "benidorm all inclusive" effect, people have gone on these all inclusive binge fests that masquerade as holidays and now want the same thing on cruise ships. i hope that the impending over capacity that the march to bigger and bigger ships will lead to will not drag the whole sector down that route.

some people will never be satisfied cruises are cheaper than ever before and p&o probably have one of the most reasonable bar tarriffs some will moan just for the sake of moaning and to expect prices to be remotely close to supermarket prices is just rediculous. and is probably a good reason for the govt to bring in minimum prices for alcohol.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, sheilaandmike said:

I suppose drinks packages are ok for those that want to drink a decent ammount, but looking at onboard prices of most individual drinks for me personally they are not much cheaper than ashore, so much for duty free!!! so for me personally no they are not worth it.

Been cruising now for 20yrs and never seen any cruise line advertise in any brochure or website that drinks onboard in bars are "duty free".

3 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Been cruising now for 20yrs and never seen any cruise line advertise in any brochure or website that drinks onboard in bars are "duty free".

Quite right sinbad10. In fact it's quite the opposite as they do say that extra tax will be added in certain ports such as Spain.

The cost of drink on ships is almost as contentious a subject as gratuities and smoking.

However I think most regular cruisers would agree that it is from the sale of drinks, all types of drinks, that the cruise lines make their most profit. Whilst most cruisers have no objection to a profit being made it is the amount of profit that many have difficulty in coming to terms with. A few months ago I was on one of the Cunard ships where a bottle of Mateus  Rose was $30 plus 15% gratuity, in one of my local restaurants its £13.95 and is waiter served. Cruise  and Maritimes Columbus which I was on 2 weeks ago, Prosecco is £3.20 a glass equating to £17 a bottle and no service charge. 

The point made by Sheila and Mike about duty free I think is a point well made. I took it they weren't suggesting it was advertised as such but was sold in a duty free zone and therefore VAT would not be applicable and neither would the UK taxes that make alcohol more expensive. 

The prices charged I would suggest are those that the cruise lines perceive their ships category to be in hence the more expensive the cruise the more expensive the on board costs for basically the same product.

As for the extra charge made when sailing out of Spain or calling at Spanish ports this is IVA charged by the Spanish Government.

As always just my opinion.

1 hour ago, 2torts said:

Indeed OWT. Can you shed any light on how the Spanish know what has been sold when the ship is sailing in their waters?  I don't suppose you can argue that if it comes out of OBC its already been paid for (or free)? Just a thought.

I did ask this question on one ship 2torts and was told that it was quite easy as everything is computerised. It could be of course that if it is free or part of 'all inclusive' or 'OBC' then under the rules of IVA it may not be deemed 'A Sale'.

As far as I know it is not when sailing in their waters but when they visit a Spanish port or are Spanish home based.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller