Jump to content

Do you have to have the new watch keys for your cabin or can you still opt for the usual cruise card?


Recommended Posts

I think the majority of cruise lines still do use key cards Sea Cruiser. I've seen Princess advertising their medallion lately and I don't know if that will see the end of cruise cards once that's rolled out fully but I would imagine they'd still give passengers the choice. I know Royal Caribbean still give their passengers a choice between their wow bands and the normal cruise cards so I'm sure you'd be able to stick with the norm if that's what you prefer.

Is it for an upcoming cruise? If so it may depend on the cruise line you're sailing with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

I do wish all these lines - and half the rest of the world - would stop obsessing over the latest technological advance.  The last thing I want is to wear some chunky plastic wrist-band on my cruises.

I think a lot of people will feel the same way Andrew but I do think the reaction to it will differ depending on the cruise line. Royal Caribbean are known for their innovations and novelty ideas so I'm sure it will go down much better on their cruises than say if an equivalent was introduced on the likes of Cunard. I'm fine with cruise lines pushing boundaries and coming up with new ideas, as long as they respect that some passengers may prefer the traditional approach. Thankfully, most cruise lines seem to acknowledge that. As said, Royal Caribbean offer the wow bands but they are not compulsory. The same applies to digital versions of the ships daily newspapers. You can now download them to your phone or tablet on some cruise lines instead of having the paper copy but they do retain the paper copies for those that prefer that way of doing things.

As long as they appreciate that opinions will vary, I think it's all good fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, afcandrew said:

I am just a bit of a luddite Sammy.  I do have a smart-phone (which I only use for calls/texts and the odd bit of internet access) a laptop and a tablet.  BUT, give me a proper book with pages, an old-fashioned menu at dinner and a waiter to serve my wine, not a robot :D

I have to admit that I am guilty of being one of those people that run their lives via their phone/tablet. Everything is on there to make sure my schedule ticks over as it needs to. Aside from that, I completely agree with you. I would much rather a menu in my hand and a waiter at my table than any of the gimmicks that might replace them. Hopefully cruise lines will retain the choice rather than it being obligatory to get on board with each novelty they create. I'm not at all against them, as long as there's a choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

I am just a bit of a luddite Sammy.  I do have a smart-phone (which I only use for calls/texts and the odd bit of internet access) a laptop and a tablet.  BUT, give me a proper book with pages, an old-fashioned menu at dinner and a waiter to serve my wine, not a robot :D

You and me both Andrew, I could probably live with a robot serving the wine as long as he left the bottle :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now steady on Sammy next thing you will have is a ping on your phone to go to the toilet!!!

Like Dancing Queen I much prefer a written menu and a good book with pages, Kindles don't work too well in sunshine. With the watch key a white tanline on my wrist doesn't sound too appealing as I'm sure it wont be a dainty small thing, saying that it has to beat the queues to get onboard when guests cant find the cards in their bag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind a wrist band since I rarely have a pocket in cruise wear and I can't count the number of times I have demagnetized my card by putting it next to my phone or iPad.  On other technology, I love my Kindle for travelling and have no problem reading it in sunshine, unlike my iPad.   Older models might not be as good however.   I do prefer printed menus and live waiters, but as an occasional gimmick a robot might be fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

on the anthem a few years ago we had the option for watches or cards, we had to use cards as these had the stickers on them showing crew what drinks package we were on, the watches dont hae this, so fine if you havnt got a drinks package but no good if the crew need to see your card anyway to know what drinks they can give you free

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you take them  off or are you stuck with it for the whole cruise? On all inclusive holidays I hate having the plastic bracelet thing on when out & about or when dressing up for dinner & at the end of the holiday I rip it off as soon as we're on the transfer bus. A removable bracelet so you don't have to sleep in it & can take off when sunning yourself  wouldn't be so bad. I rarely have pockets in holiday clothes so I use a lanyard for the cruise card & can also put any receipts from the bar or shop in it till I'm back in the cabin & for dinner  I put it in my evening bag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 2torts said:

Can you take them  off or are you stuck with it for the whole cruise? On all inclusive holidays I hate having the plastic bracelet thing on when out & about or when dressing up for dinner & at the end of the holiday I rip it off as soon as we're on the transfer bus. A removable bracelet so you don't have to sleep in it & can take off when sunning yourself  wouldn't be so bad. I rarely have pockets in holiday clothes so I use a lanyard for the cruise card & can also put any receipts from the bar or shop in it till I'm back in the cabin & for dinner  I put it in my evening bag.

 

12 hours ago, Tally said:

Oh dear. I'm feeling a real stick in the mud. I don't like the sound of these wristbands at all.:unsure:

you dont have to wear them, can still just use your cruise card

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the idea of a watch as we have just come back from an All Inclusive package holiday and normally we have wrist bands (which yes you do get tan lines) however I found a card quite annoying as you have to remember to pick it up if you are not taking your purse or wallet out which on a cruise you do not need , and as Popsicle says we always seem to get the dodgy card that never opens the room

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just the ladies, the ship is the one place I can wear my expensive watch that is a family heirloom in safety. I'm sorry but not to be snobbish about this but I really don't want the look of it sullied by a gaudy cheap piece of moulded plastic. If they really want to make it more convenient why not a smart key/card like the car that activates when you (not the card) touch the handle to unlock the door or pass your package details info to the ships staff. Then all you have to do is keep it in your pocket or on a lanyard or in a handbag and its as discreet as you want. Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a key card for me. Why you may ask. If the weather is hot I cannot have anything on my wrist as I come out in a rash so no watch. I wear shorts in the day so always have a back pocket with a fastener on ( Button or velcro) After the cruise we put the keys with the log of the trip. Are you able to do this with a wrist key, or do you have to hand them back?

Edited by terrierian
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, smtcan said:

I wouldn't mind a wrist band since I rarely have a pocket in cruise wear and I can't count the number of times I have demagnetized my card by putting it next to my phone or iPad.  On other technology, I love my Kindle for travelling and have no problem reading it in sunshine, unlike my iPad.   Older models might not be as good however.   I do prefer printed menus and live waiters, but as an occasional gimmick a robot might be fun.

As I wear a watch , a bracelet and a Fitbit than I really do not want to wear another item. Yes I do have an IPhone and an IPad (wifes) but when on a ship.. use cruise line computer only and borrow their books aside from bringing mine along. The new RCCL wrist item do much more than open your cabin door, order your drinks, pay for what was seacard purchases even follow your family movements on the ship but overall is a clunky item and in my case I value my privacy and  concerned about if I lost it someone just waves it and bingo a charge .. I do have a pocket so keep it there   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, terrierian said:

Its a key card for me. Why you may ask. If the weather is hot I cannot have anything on my wrist as I come out in a rash so no watch. I wear shorts in the day so always have a back pocket with a fastener on ( Button or velcro) After the cruise we put the keys with the log of the trip. Are you able to do this with a wrist key, or do you have to hand them back?

best I know is the RCCL and Princess are sent to you ahead of time preset and you can add online prior to cruise. You can also buy addons to make it more stylish

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...