Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

How Much do Cruise Staff Earn

This is a question that has been asked many times and has always been in the realms of what people have allegedly been told, guess work and other unreliable sources. I found this site on the open web and it may help to answer some of the questions. Sign in and it shows all those that are XXXX

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/P-and-O-Cruises-Salaries-E377562.htm

Edited by Oldworldtraveller
Formatting

On 9/21/2017 at 1:18 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

This is a question that has been asked many times and has always been in the realms of what people have allegedly been told, guess work and other unreliable sources. I found this site on the open web and it may help to answer some of the questions. Sign in and it shows all those that are XXXX

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/P-and-O-Cruises-Salaries-E377562.htm

£674 per month for a waiter. Let's say they work 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, that would work out around £26 per day, or £3.25 per hour. Chances are they probably work more hours than this so it would be less.

39 minutes ago, Furby said:

why are cruise passengers so obsessed with what crew earn? they dont ask us what we earn. we wouldnt ask hotel employees how much they earn. genuinely curious as to why guests want to know what crew earn?

Maybe they wonder what it takes to have to put up with some of the obnoxious twits you find on cruises!

Think it will always be a topic of discussion, as it is with tips.

1 hour ago, Tom Cruise said:

Maybe they wonder what it takes to have to put up with some of the obnoxious twits you find on cruises!

Think it will always be a topic of discussion, as it is with tips.

but why? we dont ask waiters in out local restuarants how much tips they get, or waiters and staff in hotels, same industry, so why do we need to know about cruise staff?

The reason I put the post on was simply this. Over the years there has been much discussion as to what percentage of the gratuity crew get, does it make up their wages, does it form all of their wages etc. When I found this site I thought it may bring some clarity to the subject as in almost 100% of cases figures given for crew wages have been quoted from $1 a day upwards without concrete foundation other than "I was told………". 

On 9/26/2017 at 3:28 PM, Furby said:

but why? we dont ask waiters in out local restuarants how much tips they get, or waiters and staff in hotels, same industry, so why do we need to know about cruise staff?

Not sure Furby. 

I can't imagine people actually asking the staff directly what they earn, is that what you're suggesting? 

You wouldn't walk into a hospital and ask a nurse what he or she gets paid but that doesn't stop the media writing about it and people talking about it. 

Also, I'm sure cruise ship staff pay was big news a few years back and I'm sure there was a TV programme where somebody went undercover on a ship to investigate wages.

We got very friendly with one waiter who we got to know very well over a number of cruises with P&O and he told us how he sent money home to educate his children and also to keep his parents who lived with the family. He told us that his aim was to work for P&O for 10yrs and then to have enough money to open his own restaurant and then he would be set up for life. Listening to him talk it was plainly obvious that the wages he received although might not be very high to our standards was very high to his own country's standard of living and wages. How many can say that in this country on the wages the majority people in their 20s receive so I do not think that staff in general on cruise ships are poorly paid as we are led to believe by cruise lines so that it makes us feel guilty into paying gratuities. Sorry but I think in the 21st century the staff should be paid a decent wage by all cruise lines without and gratuities taken from us automatically and it should be included in the price of the cruise. If cruise prices increase to cover this then so be it because I do not believe it would have to increase very much because every person booking a cruise would pay their cruise fare including gratuities where as now I am sure that a higher amount is taken to allow for those that remove and do not pay gratuities.