weaver

hotels at southampton

Guest shilly3191

I really don't know why anyone uses Travel Lodges more than once.  I stayed in one in York and would never use the chain again!

Torn bedding, mouldy bathroom, noisy room, uninspired staff.

Premier Inn negligibly more expensive and in a whole different league!

Never had a Premier Inn anywhere near the deals we have had for Travelodge and why you would want inspiring staff for one night bed is beyond me. Never had torn bedding or mouldy bathrooms and you can have noisy rooms in expensive hotels. Think the only Travelodges that you might have problems with are those in Cities that are probably used a lot for stag/hen nights.

These days we generally use Premier Inns for short overnight stays.  The product is consistent and seems well organised which is what we want in those circumstances.  Some years ago we stayed at a Holiday Inn when visiting the boat show and ate one evening at the Grand Harbour.  It was a nice meal in a nice environment as I recall.

We have always used Premier Inn North.  Excellent bargain this year, booked it 6 months ago for £50 Flexi and then in January when the Premier special sales came out I check and it was £29 Saver, so cancelled the booking and rebooked.  Only 15mins from the port.

three times we have stayed the night before, and have used the hilton, then drive down to the dock and park with CPS.We have always found the hilton ok, had a roomissue once and told them and they soon gave us another room, the issue was the radiator couldnt be turned off and it was boiling, no way i would have slept in there, but as i say they soon moved us..

I have yet to find any travel lodge that is spotless. I prefer Premier for a one/two night stay

to be fair to them i complained about sutton scotney and got a voucher for a nights stay somewhere, as I was going "up Norf" I reluctantly booked the Preston travel lodge and it was brilliant, just been refurbed, nice spacious rooms, clean linen and friendly staff.  I have further used them in Newcastle and again was really good

We always stay at Novotel. Fab breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms. Next door to West Quays shopping mall.  Short walk into town and restaurants for dinner. Drive out of Hotel and you are virtually at the entrance to the Pier for P&O.

Wonderful meals at La Tavernetta in town centre.

As I mentioned previously we have always stayed at the Holiday Inn so that we can watch our ship coming in. It looks like we will be at the Ocean terminal for the 2015 trip. Are there any hotels that overlook that one.

Thanks

Do not think there are, Ocean Terminal is that much farther down as far as I am aware it is slightly more industrial that is my impression having sailed twice from there,but saying that it is still laid out very well and clean ;)

Guest Solent Richard

As I mentioned previously we have always stayed at the Holiday Inn so that we can watch our ship coming in. It looks like we will be at the Ocean terminal for the 2015 trip. Are there any hotels that overlook that one.

Thanks

In a nutshell, no.

having said that there is restaurant/Bar in nearby Oxford Street that has outstanding boutique accommodation - The White Star.

Guest Solent Richard

I find the report on the Grand Harbour rather perplexing.My wife and I stayed prior to a cruise in June.After booking we read several poor reports on the web and allmost cancelled.We were pleased we did not.The staff and the hotel did us proud and the breakfast is one of the best we have had.

We were so pleased that when we went on the Queen Victoria in October we booked again.We believe this was another good decision.This time we used the cruise and stay facility,seemless is the only way to describe this service.When we checked out the operations manager intervieved us in the foyer and told us of all the improvements to be made.We intend to stay again next year.

Jaguar 01

Prior to moving back to the area we always stayed at the Grand Harbour.

I think a lot of the problem is folk paying a rack rate that is higher than your Holiday Inn and TravelLodge and then expecting the Ritz.

;)  ;)