Military Benefits

Does not affect me but just noticed military benefits allowance has just changed with P&O

The amount of on board spending money is applicable for the 1st and 2nd passengers in a cabin only and depends on the grade of cabin booked and the duration of the cruise:

Nights         Outside/Inside            Balcony          Suite

2-6                  £10                                 £15                  £20

7-13                 £20                                £30                   £40

14-21               £50                                £65                  £75

22+                   £75                              £90                  £100

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/military

Edited by Furby

It was on our last cruise on Oriana that I was made aware of this allowance. Being ex Territorial Army I did qualify but had to contact the MOD to obtain proof of service.  I haven't cruised with P & O since so haven't enjoyed the benefit.  Has the amount gone down to what it used to be?

Edited by Alma 2

Looks like more cost cutting by P&O. It used to be £150 (£75 each) regardless of cabin grade on a 14 night cruise. 

If you are serving or a military veteran why not join the Defence Discount Service Club https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php?p=home

Get discounts on hundreds of products as well as OBC with a variety of cruise lines as well as a booking discount with others. By way of example Princess Cruises offer the following  irrespective of cabin grade per person: 

2-6 nights - $50pp 

7-13 nights - $100pp

14+ nights - $250pp

There have been previous threads on this. I have got £150 for me and the wife for this year. I have never had to show proof but always take my service record just in case. It buys a nice beer or G and T.

As defence discount service it is well worth it I think it costs £5 for 5 years and loads of discounts very quickly get your money back. 

13 hours ago, Scranman said:

There have been previous threads on this. I have got £150 for me and the wife for this year. I have never had to show proof but always take my service record just in case. It buys a nice beer or G and T.

As defence discount service it is well worth it I think it costs £5 for 5 years and loads of discounts very quickly get your money back. 

yes there have been previous threads about military benefits, but these are the new amounts that people get

1 hour ago, harley1 said:

I think its bad you get less when you go for an inside cabin! you haven't served your country any less than if you are in a suite! wrong P&O.

Completely agree, it should be the same across the board. I understand them changing the OBC for different holiday durations but not for different cabin grades. I agree harley, it is wrong.

6 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry but why should you get extra OBC just because you have served in the military there are many people that do just as an important job in serving the country i.e. police, fire, NHS workers and many more who do not get anything what makes the military so different.

but most of those you have listed DO get extra benefits, may not be obc but they do get something, its similar schemes just offering different things to different groups of people, i dont see why they should not get obc as a small reward for what they have done for thier country. same as what police etc get now for thier current work

I'm sure there are NHS discounts as well if that's correct? If I am correct and there is, then I do see your point sinbad in those circumstances, as Police and Fire Service should be permitted the same OBC benefits as NHS workers, however I disagree with you on the military benefits.

Whilst I am in total agreement that NHS, Police and Fire service staff do an incredible job for our country, I do think military service is different to those roles and requires separate recognition. You cannot deem someone who has served their country to not be eligible for something such as on board credit. As Cruise Chef quite rightly said, whether they are squaddie or an officer, they have served and protected this nation and deserve recognition for it. I agree that NHS workers, Police and Fire service members all serve the country too, and in amazing way, but I don't think these roles can or should be compared to military service. That's just my opinion of course.

Edited by sammy sun

I have to agree with comments above that no matter what cabin you have booked surely you should receive the same just because you book an inside instead of a suite shouldn't mean you get less when you potentially have served for the same amount of time or in the same role. Don't think it has been thought through.

5 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry but why should you get extra OBC just because you have served in the military there are many people that do just as an important job in serving the country i.e. police, fire, NHS workers and many more who do not get anything what makes the military so different.

To try and answer your question sinbad10, I think what makes them different is what the job entails. High danger level as has been seen recently, long periods away from home, not the best living conditions in theatres of operation and a level of pay that is quite low. The USA have always held their military in very high esteem. Regarding the other professions you mention if you book with one of the U.S cruise agents you get these benefits plus an extra benefit if over 55 years of age.  

7 hours ago, Furby said:

but most of those you have listed DO get extra benefits, may not be obc but they do get something, its similar schemes just offering different things to different groups of people, i dont see why they should not get obc as a small reward for what they have done for thier country. same as what police etc get now for thier current work

Can you tell me what extras those that I have listed get in extra benefits.