P&O Cruises to remove tea and coffee making facilities from cabins

well i would not be happy if they removed the tea and coffee i like to have a cuppa before i go to bed and first thing when i wake up on my balcony. ive not heard that they are removing the shower gels again why! these are all things we dont normally have to take with us so one less thing to worry about. i have never stayed in a hotel without shower gel etc so why remove them off a ship? 

the little extras all make a difference it is a shame to remove them.

next the chocolate off the pillow will be gone.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether it is true or not I think we have to look at the future. If P&O upset their current following, and indeed they appear to have upset a few already, it won't really matter as they are lookin

never knew the subject of kettles could get everyone steaming at the ears

If they do away with tea/coffe there will be no need for buscuits! 🤔

Whilst anything is possible these days, I really think this is likely to be laundry-room gossip.  P&O make great play of their Britishness and 'hospitality trays' are very British.

Eyes12 - I don't think anyone has seriously said that toiletries are being withdrawn - rather a comment made in jest by another poster.

18 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Whilst I cannot imagine P&O doing this I do not think it has anything to do with Costa because they have been onboard P&O ships i.e. Azura and Ventura for over 7yrs.

I'm aware sinbad but what hasn't been around for 7 years is the need to fund the design and build of their new ship currently looking to take shape. Therefore the fact that Costa is on board, could be a factor in them removing tea/coffee making facilities to encourage passengers to use these services more, hence earning P&O more through guests spending more on board. That was the point I was making.

For people who have cruised for a long time I am sure we all remember when in your cabin sorry stateroom was a sewing kit, shoe cleaning kit, spa kit with gel eye mask to put in the fridge, all the documents in plastic folders, cruise card wallet, all little things, one by one taken away, so where will it end? None of it cost much so just put the price up, and keep all the extra touches It does not make sen e to me, to keep cutting back, when in today's marketplace competition is much stronger.

maybe I'm just old fashon, I like the extras, I am getting fed up with the cutbacks year on year, only my opinion 

And, having cruised since 1995, I also recall that your own cabin steward used to deliver morning tea/coffee and fruit juice as a matter of course.  He (I don't recall any female cabin attendants in those days) also brought any room service you ordered.  Mind you, he had far fewer cabins to attend to in those days!

48 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

For people who have cruised for a long time I am sure we all remember when in your cabin sorry stateroom was a sewing kit, shoe cleaning kit, spa kit with gel eye mask to put in the fridge, all the documents in plastic folders, cruise card wallet, all little things, one by one taken away, so where will it end? None of it cost much so just put the price up, and keep all the extra touches It does not make sen e to me, to keep cutting back, when in today's marketplace competition is much stronger.

maybe I'm just old fashon, I like the extras, I am getting fed up with the cutbacks year on year, only my opinion 

These items are still available with Silverseas, Viking Ocean and several others.

3 hours ago, Jenjen said:

Can you also remember the price per person night you were paying for in those days compared to what you are paying now. My  first cruise was in 1997 and we had the cheapest inside cabin on the ship and we were paying over £100pppn take into account inflation and oil price increases in the last 20yrs . I would rather pay the price now which is far cheaper than have gimmicky sewing kit, shoe cleaning kit and plastic folders.

46 minutes ago, Davybe said:

I think I would but this down to "Fake News" the my mate was listening to two women talking in the laundry type of gossip, with ship's including American based one putting kettles in the cabin ,are you seriously suggesting P&O getting rid....Davybe

Think how much the 'Bean Counters' could save on biscuits each year :D:D

19 hours ago, afcandrew said:

And, having cruised since 1995, I also recall that your own cabin steward used to deliver morning tea/coffee and fruit juice as a matter of course.  He (I don't recall any female cabin attendants in those days) also brought any room service you ordered.  Mind you, he had far fewer cabins to attend to in those days!

They did AFC, in fact one of the first questions they asked you on boarding was what time you would like it serving, I don't remember female cabin attendants either but in the early 90's there was much more of a mix of crew nationalities and different nationalities seemed to do different jobs, I suppose they still do to a degree but as P&O crew are now predominantly Indian there are probably more job opportunities open to females.

On 20/07/2017 at 4:51 PM, afcandrew said:

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head.  If (and I said if, not when), P&O remove the kettles, cups and saucers, your steward won't have to wash and replace them every morning and evening.  Less work per cabin would enable the steward to care for more cabins.  Then, P&O could reduce the number of stewards (again).  The accountants are in charge - or perhaps I am being cynical.

On 19/07/2017 at 2:24 PM, CJW said:

We are looking at booking another cruise on P&O following many enjoyable cruises with them over the years. We're very excited, as expected, apart from something a work friend has just told me. Basically, his friends have just returned from a P&O Cruise and they have said that P&O have plans to remove all tea and coffee making facilities from cabins.

I understand that you can get a coffee from the bars and restaurants which are practically open all day, but I'd still be quite annoyed if this is true. Does anybody know if this is true or could he be mistaken?

Don't like the sound of that at all. Want to be able to make early morning tea at a time when I require it . Not have to wait for cabin steward to bring it probably cold when it arrives!!!!