Future Cruise Deposits.

I have just found out they are withdrawing the 'future cruise deposit' option from this weekend,very short notice. To get the small amount of extra OBC you now have to book a cruise on-board. A bit discriminating against people who work and have to get written authorization before they can risk booking a holiday. And not everyone wants to spend several hours time on their holiday queueing up to book another one. With customers not tied to booking with them again will some of their customers look elsewhere?

Personally, I can't see this being a success. I think the option of being able to apply a future cruise credit to a booking when you've had more time to choose is a better concept than just allowing bookings whilst on board. I can imagine some people will do it but like seawitch says, I can't see many people wishing to give up half a day on board to firstly queue up and then secondly sit down and decide on something till they're ready to book. Many people like to take their time, check their dates and decide on their own, not under pressure whilst on board. I think it's a mistake to remove them.

In the e-mail link that they sent out on Sunday it states that the low deposit will be £50 with a two week grace period on your return home when you can change it to a different cruise of equal or higher value free of charge. 2 weeks would not have been good enough when I was at work as we couldn't book annual leave until the start of the year  & it took longer than that to get a reply!

Well I am a little bit disappointed in P & O with this. We said exactly the same about wanting to queue up and discuss holiday requirements while the sun is shining and the bar is open!! I for one can't book leave from work more than 12 months in advance. Hopefully they will have a change of mind but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think it's a good idea but it won't directly impact me too much as I've never been one for future cruise credits. It's not something I've done much of in the past so won't discourage me from P&O in the future. I do think it's a mistake though as I know a few people on here have discussed future cruise credits in the past and I'm sure this will impact them going forward. I don't see why P&O would remove them, what benefit are they getting from it? Apart from creating some form of urgency to get people to book on board. I can see this having the opposite effect and most people becoming frustrated rather than inspired to book there and then.

1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

I don't think it's a good idea but it won't directly impact me too much as I've never been one for future cruise credits. It's not something I've done much of in the past so won't discourage me from P&O in the future. I do think it's a mistake though as I know a few people on here have discussed future cruise credits in the past and I'm sure this will impact them going forward. I don't see why P&O would remove them, what benefit are they getting from it? Apart from creating some form of urgency to get people to book on board. I can see this having the opposite effect and most people becoming frustrated rather than inspired to book there and then.

They are giving a 2 week cooling off period where you can change your booking without any admin charges. All other terms and conditions apply, so if you book you have to get approval for time off within 2 weeks and if you can't you can switch to another cruise within the 2 weeks but it has to be more expensive.

Is that true? I'm surprised P&O have buckled to demands of agents on something like this, considering the amount of repeat business future cruise credits must generate. If they book on board, or use a future cruise credit, surely the same booking conditions apply so the agents will not be making any gains? It's my understanding that either with a future cruise credit or when booking on board, you can apply the booking to an agent of your choice, is that still the case?

21 hours ago, sammy sun said:

Is that true? I'm surprised P&O have buckled to demands of agents on something like this, considering the amount of repeat business future cruise credits must generate. If they book on board, or use a future cruise credit, surely the same booking conditions apply so the agents will not be making any gains? It's my understanding that either with a future cruise credit or when booking on board, you can apply the booking to an agent of your choice, is that still the case?

No in future you will not be able to purchase a FCD for future use you will have to book an actual cruise onboard.

21 hours ago, Bosunsmate said:

Apparently this is down to pressure from the travel agents as they feel they lose out on commission. So I'd like to thank Bolsover for their help in getting this withdrawn. Time to withdraw my custom from them methinks.

This comment is not true as, if you book on board which you still can, the booking goes back to your TA. The staff on the ships are paid by Carnival so commission does not come into it.

I agree with Captain Kidd, I have booked on board with P&O and the bookings have always been handed over to Bolsover. I would like to add that the last cruise I booked onboard has now been greatly reduced, having only paid the small onboard deposit I was able to rebook and even losing the deposit I paid for myself and my husband we have saved just about £2000.( and managed to keep the same cabin)

It would be the first time I have ever heard that  a large company like this has buckled to minnows like agents, I think its probably more the other way round that they want to take more a slice of the business away from their for their own shareholders, loved to know where you got that response from Bosunmate. It is usually my agent that fights for me when the cruise companies have messed up so sorry but I would believe more the opposite

I don't know what planet  the other respondents come from but on Royal Caribbean you can book a time slot to visit a future cruise consultant and should take no more than an hour of your time to book your next cruise. What is all this rubbish about spending half a day queuing up to see a sales consultant. For the last few cruises we have booked on the cruise and there are some fabulous offers available and takes very little time

On 29/06/2017 at 3:28 PM, cruise chef said:

It would be the first time I have ever heard that  a large company like this has buckled to minnows like agents, I think its probably more the other way round that they want to take more a slice of the business away from their for their own shareholders, loved to know where you got that response from Bosunmate. It is usually my agent that fights for me when the cruise companies have messed up so sorry but I would believe more the opposite

The Reality is the agents may be selling more cruises than P&O do by selling direct.

We did look at it when on   Britannia   and to many queuing  so gave it a miss, will wait for a late deal ?

I did a future cruise purchase with Celebrity last year (Cruise Now they call it) and have had to cancel due to wife being unwell I moved the booking out to 2018 no problem and at no extra cost,Why P&O cannot do this is beyond me , they do seem to like ticking of there customers who continue to put up with it...Davybe

17 minutes ago, peterspill said:

I don't know what planet  the other respondents come from but on Royal Caribbean you can book a time slot to visit a future cruise consultant and should take no more than an hour of your time to book your next cruise. What is all this rubbish about spending half a day queuing up to see a sales consultant. For the last few cruises we have booked on the cruise and there are some fabulous offers available and takes very little time

It's P&O not RCI or Celebrity , they have plenty of people attending on Celebrity and a place to sit and wait if you need to?

On Britannia two desks stuck on a corridor and very few seat's if you wanted to wait....Davybe

We have cruised on the Arcadia before and have an Adonia cruise booked for this Autumn. However, we had never been on the Oriana, so we arranged a ship visit on Oriana recently. Whilst on board, we were told about FCD's and that we could apply on board if we wished. Liking what we saw on Oriana, we decided we would but unfortunately there was no opportunity to fully complete the process during our brief period on board, so we were asked to fill in the form with our phone number and e-mail address, etc as we were assured that P&O would contact us in the next few days to finish the process. We were also told that the booking could then be transferred to our chosen TA to complete the arrangements, once we decided on what cruise we were going for.

That was on 21st May and P&O has not chosen to follow this up, although, like everyone else, we continue to get the usual stream of e-mails and brochures from them.

So this seems to fit in with this concept that they have now ceased offering these FCD's

Disappointing but never mind!

I have never contemplated purchasing a future cruise credit with P&O, for the simple reason that the payment is non-refundable, if  circumstances change and you cannot book a cruise.

P&O's sister company, Princess Cruises still offer a similar facility (£75 per credit), and if you wish, you can pay for multiple credits.  Future Cruise credits on Princess are  valid for  two years - and can be extended, if you have not booked your cruise before the initial expiry date.  Furthermore, the payments are fully refundable, if you decide not to travel.

Yet another reason to patronise Princess, in preference to P&O.