P&O certainly did afternoon tea on Arcadia a couple of years ago but I wouldn't be in a rush to try it again. It was not the relaxed affair you expect. It was served in a small area of the MDR and staff couldn't wait to get rid of you as they were busy setting up for evening service. Scones , cakes and sandwiches were all of the 'chunky' variety and we had the impression they were just getting rid of stuff that had been left over from the self service restaurant. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me Cunard do the best afternoon tea, we often skip lunch to have afternoon tea,I don't think  it has the same sense of occasion on other cruise lines,P and O do have afternoon tea in one of the di

I'm sure it can easily be missed Furby I rarely look at the dining times in the daily paper which is where it is listed other than on the first day, I suppose it is just one of those things I knew bec

I very much doubt it will stop on Cunard it is one of the highlights of any Cunard Voyage to take afternoon tea in the Queens Room at least once.

Posted Images

P & O serve the worst afternoon tea of all the ships, in their main dining room you have a side plate and along comes the waiter with sandwiches, immediately followed by the waiter with hot tea cakes and then the waiter with the scones and  all to stack on a small tea plate. If you want to meet fellow passengers for a chat over a cup of tea fine, but that's about it.

Eric Landlard's  afternoon tea on P & O is quirky and very expensive, once was enough!

Much prefer Cunard's afternoon tea but there is usually a long queue/line to get seated.

I personally am very impressed with Fred Olsen's afternoon tea. It is a self service buffet as against white glove service but the selection of sandwiches and cakes is really good. I would certainly miss this as I rarely have lunch, so find this a pleasant way to spend an hour in the afternoon, especially on at-sea days.

On 2017-6-8 at 10:23 AM, Furby said:

I was only aware of cunard doing a seperate served afternoon tea as such, I know p&o have afternoon tea options in the buffet but not a served afternoon tea? I think fred olsen do it too, but dont think any of the big american ones do? correct me if i am wrong lol, its a very british tradition.

Fred Olsen do a White Glove served Afternoon Tea certain days in the  Observatory Lounge. Every day there is afternoon tea in the buffet area. self service.

We always try to have one afternoon tea I'm MDR on PO but as we always go for first sitting then when we have afternoon tea we either miss our evening meal at 6.30 and have a late snack in the cabin or book for a later meal in the beach house.

i must say though the once we were on Queen Vicoria and had afternoon tea there it was superb and we were not rushed, whereas we find that PO seem to want to get it over with as quickly as possible.  So therefore afternoon tea. On Cunard is a grander affair than on PO.

iIt would be a shame if it was discontinued.

Afternoon tea on Ciunard ships is just one more of those lovely traditions I would really hate to see disappear and makes the whole experience just a little bit more special. Although it is not something we do every day while on a cruise it is well worth sacrificing breakfast and/or lunch for.  When we went ashore on our first day in Australia we had sailed and landed in a cyclone we tried to make the most of it despite hideous weather but how nice it was to come back to the ship and sit in the ballroom, although windswept and wet and be served a delicious afternoon tea while a excellent pianist played as if nothing at all was happening outside!!! Maybe eccentrically British and a bit reminiscent of that 'Carry On' film where they continued with 'Tiffin' while the Embassy was attacked but sometimes       being "eccentrically British" is not such a bad thing I feel.

On 08/06/2017 at 10:23 AM, Furby said:

I was only aware of cunard doing a seperate served afternoon tea as such, I know p&o have afternoon tea options in the buffet but not a served afternoon tea? I think fred olsen do it too, but dont think any of the big american ones do? correct me if i am wrong lol, its a very british tradition.

I sailed round Mexico  last year on  a Carnival ship. And they served afternoon tea each day, in the restaurant, served to you by the waiters. Lovely. 

On 6/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, HookedonCruising said:

P&O certainly did afternoon tea on Arcadia a couple of years ago but I wouldn't be in a rush to try it again. It was not the relaxed affair you expect. It was served in a small area of the MDR and staff couldn't wait to get rid of you as they were busy setting up for evening service. Scones , cakes and sandwiches were all of the 'chunky' variety and we had the impression they were just getting rid of stuff that had been left over from the self service restaurant. 

I have a fond memory of afternoon tea on Arcadia ,we were sat on the Promenade in the Caribbean when the waiters  came with a trolley loaded with Cake and sandwiches, and a nice cup of tea   ,wonder if they still serve it on the prom deck .. we did try the afternoon tea in the MDR ,never went back for another Ok  but as you say a bit rushed.Davybe 

Edited by Davybe

As a second sitting diner, I would really miss my served afternoon tea. I don't particularly enjoy the buffet option as much - it doesn't have the same 'afternoon tea' feel about it. 

For first sitting diners I can appreciate it wouldn't be a miss because I wouldn't be able to manage to eat dinner so soon after afternoon tea either....is this just another rumour or has it been confirmed yet? 

Graphostar

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Jenjen, Dancing Queen and Davybe. Always a big dilemma on Cunard.. whether to have lunch or Afternoon Tea and to my shame.. sometimes both? (We are always 2nd dining.) We did enjoy the experience in the dining room on P&O as well but it is really not to be missed on any of the Cunard ships as in addition to the buzz and atmosphere in the Queen's Room, there is always a musical accompaniment. I am sure that this is a tradition that will be maintained on Cunard at least. Fred Olsen photos also look good. Still to experience that. Have also experienced the wonderful Betty's in Harrogate which is absolutely excellent. Much bigger portions all round there. Also recommend the Willow (Mackintosh) Tea Rooms up here in Glasgow if any of you make it up our way? Looking forward to my Afternoon Tea(s) later on this month on the QM2.

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

On 6/8/2017 at 10:41 AM, Furby said:

maybe I have missed that on P&O then as in recent years I have not noticed it being served, will look out for it on the 24th august when im on Oceana

We were on Oceana, early this year, and they did afternoon teas in the Adriatic restaurant.