Duplicate payments

42 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Not sure what you are referring to?

I paid by debit card. I haven't given anyone access to my money.

I booked a cruise through Bolsover. I've no idea what they do with the payment, but you wouldn't expect £2088.00 to be requested from your bank account 3 months after you returned from your cruise.

Would you???

I phoned Bolsover to ask them for further info.

They were useless and I won't ever book with them again.

I've asked for all my personal details including anything financial to be removed from their records.

I'll be reporting this breach of data to the Information Commissioners on Monday morning at 9am, along with the hundreds of other customers.

I'm not interested who is to blame. I only provided my debit card details to Bolsover, I used a different account when I was onboard.

It's a disgrace and there are many customers affected

I can understand where you are coming from and your reasoning for this but where do you book unless you book in person at a high street TA and then pay balance in cash all other cruise TAs would operate in a similar if not the same as Bolsover. But I do think they should have made a statement to alleviate worries by their customers.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an utter fiasco! money has been taken out of bank accounts and clients have to wait up to 7 days for refunds! i understand the upset and worry this has caused however after what happened yes

Not sure what you are referring to? I paid by debit card. I haven't given anyone access to my money. I booked a cruise through Bolsover. I've no idea what they do with the payment, but you w

The answers is I assume not. In the email that I received from P&O it said quite clearly that the banks had been notified that this error had taken place. Plus the email said that my transactions

53 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I booked a cruise through Bolsover. I've no idea what they do with the payment, but you wouldn't expect £2088.00 to be requested from your bank account 3 months after you returned from your cruise.

Would you???

I've asked for all my personal details including anything financial to be removed from their records.

I'll be reporting this breach of data to the Information Commissioners on Monday morning at 9am, along with the hundreds of other customers.

I'm not interested who is to blame. I only provided my debit card details to Bolsover, I used a different account when I was onboard.

Not aimed at anyone in particular ,just a general statement?

But I am horrified that you got Billed twice once after you returned ,as you said Disgraceful.

I usually pay the deposit by Credit card ,and the Balance by BAC's transfer and have never had any problems.I have to give my Credit card details each time I book as "they are not allowed to store that data" Hope it soon gets resolved ...Davybe

But Under the sale of goods act whoever you buy of is responsible In this case the agent's not the cruise line...Davybe 

18 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

I can understand where you are coming from and your reasoning for this but where do you book unless you book in person at a high street TA and then pay balance in cash all other cruise TAs would operate in a similar if not the same as Bolsover. But I do think they should have made a statement to alleviate worries by their customers.

Why would a high street travel agent have a different arrangement ,are you saying if I went to Bolsovers Shop  I would get a different deal than phoning or booking online??.

I can understand the cruise lines wanting payments directly into there account ,having to pick up the bill when an agent went bust ,but at the end of the day it's who you buy off that has the responsibility to put it right....Davybe 

Last post from P&O on Facebook .

Good afternoon,

We have been made aware of an issue with a number of card transactions due to an error by the third party card payment processor. The payment processor has reversed all transactions and is working with the various banks to resolve this matter . This is not as a result of a security breach and at no time has any personal information been compromised. We will be contacting affected guests and in the meantime we would like to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

Davybe

I do not think I have had a duplicate payment processed (paid by debit card in Feb to Bolsover) but this whole debacle has made me reconsider how I pay for any future cruises.

I have been booking cruises with Bolsover since 1992 and have always been 100% satisfied, but I do agree that it is disappointing that there has been no statement from them on this forum.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Jacka

There are no transactions showing on my bank account either, but when I check the available funds, it is £2088.00 less than the balance.

It would appear that a pre-authorisation has been requested, so this places a hold on the funds, but doesn't always show on the account, unless you have a pending transactions view.

It will be 5 days before funds become available again.

It's not acceptable.

Hi MickyD

Thank you for this. I have just rechecked by account and you are quite correct. My available balance is reduced by £4750 even though I have a pending transaction view and nothing shows. I am really annoyed that all those involved, Bolsover, P&O and the card processing company seem to be treating this so lightly.

Jacka

2 hours ago, Davybe said:
2 hours ago, Davybe said:

Why would a high street travel agent have a different arrangement ,are you saying if I went to Bolsovers Shop  I would get a different deal than phoning or booking online??.

I can understand the cruise lines wanting payments directly into there account ,having to pick up the bill when an agent went bust ,but at the end of the day it's who you buy off that has the responsibility to put it right....Davybe 

What I meant was that if you used a high street TA to book future cruises you could visit and pay balance in cash then they would have no details to charge your credit/debit card twice. So unless MickyD did this what would the point of not using Bolsover as he stated and going to another TA because they would all have the same or similar method of credit/debit card payments. The problem wouldn't arise if you paid in cash

Yes I've been affected by this. I rang my bank at first they told me they couldn't help. I rang P&O because those were the deposits which were being paid a second time. I also have a cruise booked with Cunard and was told the deposits for those would probably be taken out too. I rang my bank again and they are looking into it. I'm sure it will all be sorted  out eventually but it isn't really acceptable and from reading P&O's Facebook page there are a lot of unhappy people. Personally though I'm still happy to pay by debit card.

19 hours ago, Merlin said:

Payment made through Bolsover for A709 ( PO ). Duplicate payment effected.

Aren't companies not supposed to keep your bank / credit card details on file???????

Just to correct my post regarding this. 

You can have your card details stored if you have a account that allows a company to charge you repeat subscriptions, companies like Apple and Amazon keep your details ,but it should be with your permission ? Your insurance may be the same  .

I got caught out with a Web security /protection I bought ,not checking that they had added a renewal (Unless I cancelled) rider which meant they took payment for another year . Most of us do read the T&C's and end up getting caught out....Davybe

21 hours ago, MickyD said:

Would you???

In this case I wouldnt blame Bolsover its is abviously something to do with the payment system that P&O use, when my parents paid for their last cruise they asked Bolsover if they could use the card details they had already given them before and the response was... 'we dont keep any payment details on file so you will need to give us the information each time you want to make a payment' and as far as I was aware when you pay your balance it is paid direct to P&O? not Bolsover then P&O, thats why your charged a fee on a credit card because your paying P&O direct :wacko:

My family have been affected by this and Bolsover have been very helpful, when we called they had time to explain it to us even though we could hear that they were obviosuly very busy and had a lot of calls regarding this. Our call was answered within minutes, we know of people who spent 20-30mins on hold to get through to P&O. The latest we have had was that the company that process P&O payments had an error and duplicated pre authorisised transactions, thats why the amount is exactly the same, they didnt have details held it was a duplication from a pre authorisation. Any pending money should be released back into the accounts when the banks open. They have said if any charges have been incurred they will be refunding these. Just waiting to hear if any further compensation will be offered. Cannot fault Bolsover in this as they do make it clear the contract is with P&O and they are acting on our behalf to book the cruise. And of course we always get it cheaper with them :) The mistake made was huge and I am sure there will be heads rolling in the payment procesing company! Cant mess with peoples money like this!

45 minutes ago, Furby said:

My family have been affected by this and Bolsover have been very helpful, when we called they had time to explain it to us even though we could hear that they were obviosuly very busy and had a lot of calls regarding this. Our call was answered within minutes, we know of people who spent 20-30mins on hold to get through to P&O. The latest we have had was that the company that process P&O payments had an error and duplicated pre authorisised transactions, thats why the amount is exactly the same, they didnt have details held it was a duplication from a pre authorisation. Any pending money should be released back into the accounts when the banks open. They have said if any charges have been incurred they will be refunding these. Just waiting to hear if any further compensation will be offered. Cannot fault Bolsover in this as they do make it clear the contract is with P&O and they are acting on our behalf to book the cruise. And of course we always get it cheaper with them :) The mistake made was huge and I am sure there will be heads rolling in the payment procesing company! Cant mess with peoples money like this!

Really pleased to hear that Bolsover have been helpful and have the staff in to cover these questions. I hope the issue is resolved quickly for you.

6 hours ago, Furby said:

I am very unclear on the information given to you by Bolsover. I have had several duplicate payments taken, the originals being spread over a period of time. In total I have made 7 separate payments through Bolsover to P&O during the period of time in question. Not all are affected, but several are.  Therefor information from the original payments must have been retained.

Several years ago I received a phone call from my bank to say that suspicious activity had been detected on my credit card with identical pre authorisations by P&O. At the time I queried this with P&O and they said that on long cruises they make pre authorisation requests whilst you are on the cruise to ensure that customers do not exceed their credit limit whilst on a long cruise. This is now partly alleviated on a world cruise by payments being taken at the end of each sector

jacka

16 hours ago, Furby said:

Cannot fault Bolsover in this as they do make it clear the contract is with P&O and they are acting on our behalf to book the cruise.

I'm not sure that's correct Furby, as far as I know the contract would be with Bolsover as they are the booking agent. 

That's what I was told recently when I spoke to Consumer Advice about another matter, my contract was with those who I'd initially dealt with, in my case an online company A--z-n, they like Bolsover were acting on my behalf, therefore they were responsible and when I made that clear the matter was resolved, by them.

HLM.

I've had over £1200 taken from my account by Cunard.  I've had the email from them telling me the payment has been reversed and the money has never left my account, though it's not showing there.  It's plunged me very close to my overdraft limit, a situation I never knowingly allow to happen and preventing me from using my bank account until the money really is returned to me.  I'm sure this problem will be put right but it's mighty inconvenient and very worrying.  I have one question, can anyone help with it?  Does this problem just affect clients of Bolsover Travel, or are clients of other on-line travel agents, other high street travel agents or those who book directly with the cruise company also affected?

There must be compensation paid by the cruise company for this outrage and I shall be looking to my agent, Bolsover Travel, to fight my corner very fiercely!

For all those affected by this .

If you have Legal cover as part of your travel or any other insurance you can contact them for free and get any advice you need ?

They will tell you what to write and who to write to ,I Found them most helpful on a couple of occasion's saving me lots of money in the process....Davybe

It must be limited to certain agents and the cruise lines, just checked my account and have no problems ,I paid for my Cruise using a debit card,but through a High street   Travel Agent ,wonder if the agents have different contracts with P&O  ...Davybe

Why are people blaming Bolsover or indeed any other agent ok your contract might be with the booking agent but they merely make the payment on your behalf how that payment is then dealt with by Carnival/Third Party/Bank is then out of their control so how can they be responsible they are not the ones who have held your personal details on file for 4 months +.

I am more concerned to discover my details are given to a third party without my knowledge as I was always under the impression I pay for something and that payment goes straight to my bank/credit card company via the retailer not via a third party, I would guess a lot of other people think the same.

I don't believe for a minute that this is a practice used only by Carnival there are probably dozens of these clearing centres in the UK and every time we use our cards that centre has our details ... frightening isn't it because we have no idea !!! 

3 hours ago, HLM said:

I'm not sure that's correct Furby, as far as I know the contract would be with Bolsover as they are the booking agent. 

That's what I was told recently when I spoke to Consumer Advice about another matter, my contract was with those who I'd initially dealt with, in my case an online company A--z-n, they like Bolsover were acting on my behalf, therefore they were responsible and when I made that clear the matter was resolved, by them.

HLM.

You dont have a contract with Bolsover HLM so consumer advice have advised you wrong, when you book a cruise or a holiday you are read terms and conditions and explained you are booking a holiday under the terms and conditions of the operator and your contract is with that operator.  So in this case it is P&O, Cunard or Princess.  The Travel Agent is just that, an agent and acting on behalf of the principle.